Junior"Poison"Jones,Kennedy McKinney, Kevin Kelly

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by paulf View Post
    Apples and oranges.

You're comparing guys who held titles, had a few big wins, but whose careers (at least as contenders) were done by 2003 or so, to two legendary fighters who were fighting right up to the end of the 2000s.
    You're right they didn't have the longevity of the other two. Idk i just see fights like MAB-Jones and McKinney(great fights) or Nas-Kelly(Merchant said Hagler -Hearns for little guys)and those are fights we should hear about a lot more.

Comment

Originally posted by Tago Nang Tago View Post
      no one ever talks about junior jones because of what he did to the ese vato's.
      What happened??

Comment

Originally posted by Adonis Creed View Post
        What happened??
        he wasn't supposed to beat barerra who was suposed to be the feared and respected mexican assassin

Comment

They were before my time as a fan but i look at the fights on YouTube and i can't see why these guys are forgotten. You never hear any mention of these guys anywhere.

I'll have to watch some of the guys in that third paragraph. Love watching fights from that era.
          check out mckinney vs bungu, Ncita

Jones vs john michael johnson, tom johnson, barrera

the early 90s was loaded at 118-126

Comment

What happened??
            they were pumping Marco Antonio Barrera as the next Chavez sr.

Junior Jones upset the applecart....twice....they robbed him of a knockout win because one of Barrera's seconds came in the ring

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
              they were pumping Marco Antonio Barrera as the next Chavez sr.

Junior Jones upset the applecart....twice....they robbed him of a knockout win because one of Barrera's seconds came in the ring
              Yeah that was one of those jaw-dropping fights. He bombed Barrera out of there. I thought Jones was washed up and weak-chinned going in. After he won the rematch he was flying pretty high...until McKinney exposed that china chin.

Comment

Junior Jones really had Barrera's number.

In the second fight Barrera came in more declined and still lost.

Junior Jones had a Khan's chin

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                  Yeah that was one of those jaw-dropping fights. He bombed Barrera out of there. I thought Jones was washed up and weak-chinned going in. After he won the rematch he was flying pretty high...until McKinney exposed that china chin.
                  by that point we all knew he was chinny...Poison was one of the most dynamic little guys....couldve been an ATG if he was a little more sturdy....offensively he could do it all

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
                    I'm pretty sure a good amount of posters didn't see them fight... Full fights

Those little guys and naz made possible for little guys today to be main events

Can't forget vuyuni bungu, welcome ncita, Zaragoza, wilfredo Vazquez, Orlando canizales Paul banks, etc 118-126 was crazy before the late 90s and they were all retired or shot

122 alone pre Barrera/Morales was in a golden era. Man USA, ESPN, HBO always had good lil man scraps..I was only like 8-10 watching those guys with my uncles
                    Very true. A lot of really good fighters in those divisions, just before the Pacmania hit, so most people never got a chance to see them...probably wouldn't have cared much if they did though to be honest.

A lot of great fights though during that period.

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx... View Post
                      Financial adviser
                      Pretty cool. But isn't Kennedy McKinney not doing to well these days on the financial end.

Comment

Working...
                      X