Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has there ever been a P4P entrant who has fought the worst opposition for 4 years?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by New England View Post
    ward's responsible for some of his inactivity, but there were also injuries, kelly pavlik losing his mind, gennady golovkin not accepting 168 or even 164, etc.

to be a fair, level poster, you need to consider everything. you've got a reputation for being a whiney little kid

you're also ignoring that ward's signed to fight sergey kovalev, a naturally bigger, p4p ranked fighter, and one of the best punchers in the sport.

so yeah
    To be fair, you don't get pound for pound rankings for signing fights. The poster is absolutely correct in one respect - Ward has completely wasted about 3 or 4 years of his prime years for nothing, which to me means he doesn't care that much about being great.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
      Well, that's your argument. If you can honestly post that GGG should not be a consensus p4p entrant, than neither should Ward, right?

However, that is not my argument.

Ward HAS BEEN on most p4p lists over the last 4 years. I say, fair enough, so name me any other fighter in boxing history to have been on a p4p list for 4 years having faced the quality of opp such as Rodri, Smith and Barrera.

The answer I received was GGG...yet all those guys, specifically RedFoXx backed off and changed their statements when I educated them on who Smith and Barrera are.

So the question is still open...who else is there?

no he has not. he was removed from bascially every reputable p4p list, and most peopel didn't put him abck on until he shut out barrera, a fringe contender who was undefeated, and a naturally larger guy.

p4p lists are subjective. people are allowed to use their eyes, say that ward is back, and put him on the p4p list. he's still one of the very best boxers on earth right now, even if he's slowed down a bit.

unfortunately that means that we've got to enterain morons who can't get carl froch's jockstrap out of their mouths and form decent arguments to suppor their stances.

Comment

Originally posted by stefl14 View Post
        To be fair, you don't get pound for pound rankings for signing fights. The poster is absolutely correct in one respect - Ward has completely wasted about 3 or 4 years of his prime years for nothing, which to me means he doesn't care that much about being great.

he's figthing sergey kovalev . he signed up for the SS and fought the best SMW of his generation back to back.

there's no "greater" fight in boxing right now.

you guys just aren't impartial, and that's fine. there are two sides to every coin, and until your posting prives to me that you consider them, i'll call you little british shirelings, and regard you accordingly.

Comment

Inactivity and poor opponents should be enough to have someone taken off the list.

Not to mentioned he refused to fight Bute when the fight meant something and purposefully took time off, no one forced him to.

It shouldn't take 4 years for a supposed p4p fighter to fight a world level opponents. That's the bottom line. Yall can try and twist it however you like.

But, if he does beat Kovalev, which I feel he can in a close, ugly contest, then all credit to him and he gets put back in the top 10.
          As a general statement I don't entirely disagree with your first point but the circumstances surrounding Ward's inactivity complicate the issue. He was involved in a protracted contractual dispute. That doesn't equate to a diminished skill set or in ring competence. He's not become a lesser fighter, and thus undeserving of a P4P ranking, because of that. To jettison him from the list on that basis makes little sense. That's why he remained on it, because the circumstances surrounding his inactivity meant that those compiling the list had little choice but to display some patience and wait for the situation to be resolved. To do anything else would have undermined the already shaky and dubious integrity of what are essentially fantasy rankings. And remember, nobody knew when it was going to end, he could have been kicked off and three months later beat top opposition. Hence my previous question.

Now, the period of inactivty and the injuries that compounded it may well have diminished his skills but we'll only truly know to what extent (and whether he still belongs on the list) after he once again fights top level opposition, which he's duly signed to do. To kick him off on the basis that he's winning fights, albeit against lesser opposition, makes less sense than doing so for inactivity because again the circumstances under which he's signed for those fights largely justifies the level of opposition he's faced.

The bottom line then, is that the circumstances under which Ward has been inactive, when duly considered, warranted that he stayed on the list and that's why he's still there

Comment

Anyone been P4P top 5 with a worse resume than Golovkin?

Comment

Ward shouldn't be P4P until after the kovo fight if he wins
              GGG shouldn't be P4P at all and I love GGG
              P4P should be based on current wins not what you did before an injury and promotional issues or what you haven't even done

Comment

he's figthing sergey kovalev . he signed up for the SS and fought the best SMW of his generation back to back.

you guys just aren't impartial, and that's fine. there are two sides to every coin, and until your posting prives to me that you consider them, i'll call you little british shirelings, and regard you accordingly.
                Lets be honest about that 168 division back then. When Joe was king, everyone called it a crap division. Ward wins super six and people like to act like it was great. The reality is that nobody cared about 168 until after the tourny. Americans looked at 168 back them like they do 160 now.

Comment

Haha you make it about where I live what a twat. It's nothing about nationality you moron, I am probably more critical of British fighters than any other fighters. Unlike most America bellends, I'm not a nationalistic cretin because I didn't have a choice in where I was born so there is no need to be patriotic or worry about it at all. Yes, Ward-Kovalev is a great fight but there is no excuse for who he's been fighting for years. I'm not a fan or a hater of Ward, I'm completely impartial believe it or not. No matter what you tell me, he could have found better opponents than he did.

Comment

GGG in the last 4 years has fought former title holder Geale, current holder Lem and men who arguably beat Sturm, Murray and Macklin. And in the last 4 years of his career, he has not only accumulated 3 of the 4 available title belts, he has annihilated his opponents.

Try again.

Edit: Plus, GGG has only been a p4p entrant for less than half the time Ward has been.
                    GGG's best win Geale got finished by an undersized junior middle weight in higher fashion. Annihilated his opponents? The majority of them have quit and decided to not continue, he's not knocking guys out cold.
                    Ward has wins over Kessler, Dawson, Froch, and is still undefeated. Who gives a shlt about how many times he's fought in the last 4 years.

Comment

p4p is based on talent and skill levels!

When you evaluate the p4p fighter it means can his 112 pound skill level be successful if he weighed in at 175?
                      It has nothing to do with opponents!!!
                      People on this forum think it does because they newver take the time to learn the techniques involved with being a good to great fighyter. They don't understand Methodology and that a pressure fighter will get hit more often! It doesn't mean he's a lesser fighter it means he's forcing the action in the punching zone to get his power shots in!

Funny how the terminology and evaluation in boxing has been watered down to apply the "hype job" on the fans who know far less these days than the older fans. Yes that's right the fans who actually attended boxing shows on a regular basis knew a lot more than the ppv watchers of today.

You only need one p4p king, it doesn't matter what they weigh it's all about skills and heart!

Right now Chocolatito rules the p4p for me! He has a tight and quick boxing form, he comes to land power and counters off his defensive motions.
                      I like Crawford too, GGG & koval are ok but they both lack style and I'm not sure about their over all toughness.

Ray

Comment

Working...
                      X