3rd Amateur Fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd Amateur Fight

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pOu4lfRJ_F8

I'm in blue. I won by "TKO" in between rounds 1 and 2. The ref kept stopping the fight for no reason and then wouldn't let my opponent answer the bell in round 2 because of a nose bleed. I kind of felt robbed of all my hard training. I was just beginning to get a sweat going at that point and I think I would have had a lot of success in round 2. Any advice and feedback on the fight is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Last edited by tblefever; 03-30-2016, 09:32 AM.

First off congratulations on the win whether you felt like you were robbed or not lol.

I notice a few things:
    -You are really tensed up the entire time
    -Defense isn't so good because the guy landed whenever he wanted although he did miss due to bad accuracy
    -You remind me of a street fighter...not good. By street fighter I mean you throw wild crazy punches that leave you open
    -You put your hands out when he threw punches at you as if you were going to grab his hands
    -Didn't use the jab a whole lot just wild swinging power punches

Things I liked:
    -You had good movement. A bit unpredictable which is great
    -Nice rhythm

Everything above are all technical things I noticed. I'm not sure if it was because of being nervous or what...maybe you fight differently just kinda blanked that night? Good news is everything is an easy fix. Tell me what YOU think you did good and bad that night before addressing what I saw.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.DagoWop View Post
      First off congratulations on the win whether you felt like you were robbed or not lol.

I notice a few things:
      -You are really tensed up the entire time
      -Defense isn't so good because the guy landed whenever he wanted although he did miss due to bad accuracy
      -You remind me of a street fighter...not good. By street fighter I mean you throw wild crazy punches that leave you open
      -You put your hands out when he threw punches at you as if you were going to grab his hands
      -Didn't use the jab a whole lot just wild swinging power punches

Things I liked:
      -You had good movement. A bit unpredictable which is great
      -Nice rhythm

Everything above are all technical things I noticed. I'm not sure if it was because of being nervous or what...maybe you fight differently just kinda blanked that night? Good news is everything is an easy fix. Tell me what YOU think you did good and bad that night before addressing what I saw.
      Thanks for taking the time critique. I actually felt like I was just beginning to warm up and loosen up at the end of that first round. I usually do fight tight and brawl a bit too much but I felt every calm and at peace at the end of that first round. I also only had one sparring session during training for this fight. The vast majority of my training was shadow boxing, heavy bag, double end bag, and speed bag. I definitely need more sparring and instruction. I'm pretty much "self taught" out of my garage and I like to watch a lot of Youtube instruction for myboxingcoach.com and expertboxing.com so that explains why I look like more of a brawler than a boxer.

I think the positives I personally drew from this fight that I felt very energized and ready to go more at the end of the first. I made sure I didn't gas out, yet was still able to push my opponent back and land a damaging blow or two that split him open so I know I won that first round.

I also felt that my overhand right is coming along and I know when to throw it by reflex without having to think about it. I worked the body a little bit but would have liked to really work the body more in a 3 round fight.

The punches he landed in those 10 ounce gloves felt like nothing to me so that's definitely a positive and builds some confidence for me.

Now for the bad...
      When I hurt him near the end of the first and had him on the retreat, I followed up with those wild punches and mostly missed. I need to calm down and go for the kill with accurate punches.

I need to spar more and work my defense the only real way there is to work my defense...by avoiding real punches coming at me.

I'm still kind of confused why the ref kept stopping the action. Any idea from your point of view why?

Comment

Originally posted by tblefever View Post
        Thanks for taking the time critique. I actually felt like I was just beginning to warm up and loosen up at the end of that first round. I usually do fight tight and brawl a bit too much but I felt every calm and at peace at the end of that first round. I also only had one sparring session during training for this fight. The vast majority of my training was shadow boxing, heavy bag, double end bag, and speed bag. I definitely need more sparring and instruction. I'm pretty much "self taught" out of my garage and I like to watch a lot of Youtube instruction for myboxingcoach.com and expertboxing.com so that explains why I look like more of a brawler than a boxer.

I think the positives I personally drew from this fight that I felt very energized and ready to go more at the end of the first. I made sure I didn't gas out, yet was still able to push my opponent back and land a damaging blow or two that split him open so I know I won that first round.

I also felt that my overhand right is coming along and I know when to throw it by reflex without having to think about it. I worked the body a little bit but would have liked to really work the body more in a 3 round fight.

The punches he landed in those 10 ounce gloves felt like nothing to me so that's definitely a positive and builds some confidence for me.

Now for the bad...
        When I hurt him near the end of the first and had him on the retreat, I followed up with those wild punches and mostly missed. I need to calm down and go for the kill with accurate punches.

I need to spar more and work my defense the only real way there is to work my defense...by avoiding real punches coming at me.

I'm still kind of confused why the ref kept stopping the action. Any idea from your point of view why?
        Sounds like you know what needs to get done. I was surprised when you said you are self taught, you seemed like you had some good training. Big Up to you for that

I am self taught as well and would like to get in the amateur game. How did you go about finding someone for your corner?

It would have been a lot better if I got to see you in a 3 round fight in order to see how you do round by round. That's not your fault though lol

As for why the ref kept stopping it looks like it was because you were giving the guy a beating and they have to make sure that the other boxer is alright to continue. That's the difference between the amateur and pro game. Amateur's is mainly about skill as they don't score power shots different from regular shots.

You're definitely an exciting fighter to watch. Just work on everything and you should come along pretty well.

Comment

You trained hard, fought hard and then they pulled your prey away before you could sink your teeth in. A win is a win.

Straighten out those right hands. Some head movement and feints would do you nice.

Good work..........
          Last edited by Rockin'; 03-30-2016, 07:48 PM.

Comment

. The vast majority of my training was shadow boxing, heavy bag, double end bag, and speed bag. I definitely need more sparring and instruction. I'm pretty much "self taught" out of my garage and I like to watch a lot of Youtube instruction for myboxingcoach.comI
            ?

ok..... 3 bouts, no trainer and you learn by watching and repeating,.

what are your visions with the boxing for yourself.

would you like a personal trainer?

where are you fighting out of? .........

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
              You trained hard, fought hard and then they pulled your prey away before you could sink your teeth in. A win is a win.

Straighten out those right hands. Some head movement and feints would do you nice.

Good work..........
              That is EXACTLY how I feel. What a quote!

I occasionally spar at the Police Athletic League Gym down here in Atlanta, GA with some cops, firemen, and city kids but my day-in day-out training is in my garage. I set up all the essentials and I just go to work. Fitting sparring into my schedule is my biggest challenge because my work schedule is crazy, I've got my kids to take care of, and I live pretty far from all my boxing friends. I'm gonna be 30 in January. My vision is to get my act together and workout hard for another year or two and then enter the GA Golden Gloves if I have elevated my game by then. Doing well at the Gloves would probably be my ultimate goal at this point in my life. Thanks for checking me out!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.DagoWop View Post
                Sounds like you know what needs to get done. I was surprised when you said you are self taught, you seemed like you had some good training. Big Up to you for that

I am self taught as well and would like to get in the amateur game. How did you go about finding someone for your corner?

It would have been a lot better if I got to see you in a 3 round fight in order to see how you do round by round. That's not your fault though lol

As for why the ref kept stopping it looks like it was because you were giving the guy a beating and they have to make sure that the other boxer is alright to continue. That's the difference between the amateur and pro game. Amateur's is mainly about skill as they don't score power shots different from regular shots.

You're definitely an exciting fighter to watch. Just work on everything and you should come along pretty well.

So the guy in my corner for this fight was actually my dad, a man with absolutely zero boxing knowledge or experience. The old man flew down to GA to see my fight and I told him hell, I've got the best seat in the house for ya!

I used to find sparring partners at the Police Athletic League Gym down here in Atlanta. I had an Atlanta cop corner me in my first two fights though they didn't really train me leading up to them.

Comment

So the guy in my corner for this fight was actually my dad, a man with absolutely zero boxing knowledge or experience. The old man flew down to GA to see my fight and I told him hell, I've got the best seat in the house for ya!

I used to find sparring partners at the Police Athletic League Gym down here in Atlanta. I had an Atlanta cop corner me in my first two fights though they didn't really train me leading up to them.
                  Thanks for the info, I wish I knew that before the golden gloves started or else I would be competing!

Comment

Why is their headgear??
                    I'm kind of questioning the legitimacy if iv ben honest,
                    Because unless your under 18, their is no more headgear???

Comment

Working...
                    X