Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Had first semi-sparring session today...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had first semi-sparring session today...

I've only been participating in boxing for less than a month now, and I guess our trainer is seeing my progression, as we just recently started working on defense.

I have to admit, I'm pretty bad, and I've only jab sparred with anyone period as of yet.

Today he put me up against the "star", so-to-speak, of the gym, respectfully enough, with jabs only. Damn, I got rocked. It seems like I can't ever really get away from his hits, as they're far to quick, and I'm far to inexperienced to know what to do with them.

My technique of lateral movements of the head only work so often, and I am beginning to develop a bad foot stance. Instead of my backfoot remaining stable, my front foot is. Bad technique, right.

Damn, I guess I should spar more with kids in my league.

Any helpful advice?

Originally posted by Chief Vash View Post
    I've only been participating in boxing for less than a month now, and I guess our trainer is seeing my progression, as we just recently started working on defense.

I have to admit, I'm pretty bad, and I've only jab sparred with anyone period as of yet.

Today he put me up against the "star", so-to-speak, of the gym, respectfully enough, with jabs only. Damn, I got rocked. It seems like I can't ever really get away from his hits, as they're far to quick, and I'm far to inexperienced to know what to do with them.

My technique of lateral movements of the head only work so often, and I am beginning to develop a bad foot stance. Instead of my backfoot remaining stable, my front foot is. Bad technique, right.

Damn, I guess I should spar more with kids in my league.

Any helpful advice?
    there's ur answer right there. spar more with different level dudes and practice more on certain things like head movement and footwork and stuff. let ur sparring partner wut ur gonna be workin on and not to kill u. after u get more skilled, u can practice some real time sparring with as many guys as u can to practice wut u learned.

Comment

It's kind of exciting, but at the same time, it's annoying to know that some people can't control themselves emotionally inside the ring. A sparring match turns rather quickly into a hitting contest if the opponent is a jackass.

Comment

Start Slow!

It's all very exciting when you first begin, and it’s easy to want to run before you can crawl and walk. If your trainer is any good he will look after you.

I started about 4 months ago, and was the same, slow and clumsy.
        just keep working on the basics and stick to it. You will find things will start to become second nature and you will be more relaxed and faster. When your trainer thinks your ready he should start putting you in with more guy's so you experience different things. No 2 people are the same and everyone has there quirks. Just enjoy it and go at your own pace.

When I started I was scared, but now I love it and look forward to every time I get in there.

DMC

Comment

it been rumored that by the time im ready to sparr, they gonna put me with the Hard-hitter. hes on vacation right now, so i gotta be prepared

Comment

The kid I fought was our region's champion.

Yeah... I should work on my defense a bit more.

Comment

Today, a friend with equivelent arm length, heighth, and nearly the same weight jab sparred for a very long time.

We went about 70 minutes straight, with no water breaks, and we were going three minute rounds.

I think I learned a lot, plus, we had to whole ring to ourselves. It was very nice.

We both got a couple of good hits in there, but no pain, and we were very sportsmanlike about the hits.

Comment

Working...
              X