Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Al Haymon do all of the matchmaking for his fighters, or do they have a say?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Al gives them names and they choose from there; or they say who they want to fight and it goes from there also They have all said he won't force you to fight anybody.

Comment

Originally posted by !WAR ROSADO! View Post
      Of course fighters can pick who thye want out of a list haymon gives them ultimately its still haymon decision one way or another you just picked one of the option he put out for you.
      Exactly. Whether haymon gives you a list of 2 names, 1 name or 3 names to choose. Same result you can only fight that guy or guys. Don't matter who you want if they not on the list even if that's the fight people want or even if those guys are also haymon fighters and available.

Thurman on record saying he got one name on his list and it was Collazo and he had to fight him even though that's not who he wanted.

Comment

In most cases I think Haymon has a good enough relationship with his fighters that they trust his long-term plans for them to the point that some of them take lesser fights he suggests to them even if they might prefer to face a tougher challenge that would earn them more credit. The fact that he pays them well surely helps too.

Comment

So I wonder how Haymon comes up with the choices then?

Like, where did he pull Salka out from? Maybe he has a lead matchmaker for PBC?

Comment

Originally posted by Omowale Tribe View Post
            Floyd is a Haymon managed fighter and he chooses exclusively who he wants to fight.

says Floyd, the truly honest man. i remember it was the Sho's big man who twist his arm to fight pac.

Comment

Originally posted by Rath View Post
              says Floyd, the truly honest man. i remember it was the Sho's big man who twist his arm to fight pac.
              What are you talking about? Please don't tell me this is another one of your famous meltdowns.

Comment

Originally posted by Omowale Tribe View Post
                So I wonder how Haymon comes up with the choices then?

Like, where did he pull Salka out from? Maybe he has a lead matchmaker for PBC?
                I think he has someone that does the work for him. It could be Watson, Schaeffer etc. He gets a list of available names that are PBC friendly, and submits them to the fighter. The fighter picks a name and then a deal is attempted to be reached. If the first choice falls through, then the fighter has to make a second choice etc...

Now I would assume that is mainly just for the fighters on the upper standing, the higher tier fighters, as for the rest they get offered a fight with such and such, and if they decline they have to wait who knows how long. It is like any other promotional outfit. The stars get the choices, the opponents have to take what they can get.

Comment

Originally posted by deanrw View Post
                  I think he has someone that does the work for him. It could be Watson, Schaeffer etc. He gets a list of available names that are PBC friendly, and submits them to the fighter. The fighter picks a name and then a deal is attempted to be reached. If the first choice falls through, then the fighter has to make a second choice etc...

Now I would assume that is mainly just for the fighters on the upper standing, the higher tier fighters, as for the rest they get offered a fight with such and such, and if they decline they have to wait who knows how long. It is like any other promotional outfit. The stars get the choices, the opponents have to take what they can get.
                  Sounds reasonable enough...

Comment

Originally posted by West Coast Bias View Post
                    I've heard different stories. For example you have Thurman who says he usually get's about 3 names to choose from and I know Abner Mares has said something along the lines of you pick who you want to fight. Then you have the other side where it seems like Leo Santa Cruz fights whomever Al tells him to. Sounds like it just depends on the fighter if Al makes the first and final decision or makes a recommendation and they choose.
                    Leo Santa Cruz's Padre, and then later, Haymon was said to also nix a match with Rigondeaux. Oscar was about to make the fight when Haymon bout Santa Cruz out of his contract. According to Stephen Edwards, his Charge has a fairly free pick of opponents. The problem is that the other PBC guys in his weight class refuse to fight him.

Comment

Haymon should get his own promotional license (he's already thought out the name, Haymon Boxing). His venture could be successful with good promoters and advisers like Schaefer.

Comment

Working...
                      X