No announcement yet.

Most annoying color commentator..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most annoying color commentator..

Gotta go with Jim Lampley.. And, the Albert brothers.. Well, Al i could tolerate..

Originally posted by Mintcar923 View Post
    Gotta go with Jim Lampley.. And, the Albert brothers.. Well, Al i could tolerate..
    I tend to like most of them. Bobby Chez and Al Bernstein would be the best team ever IMO. But you want my unfavorite. Lampley, I guess, but I even like him too. He seems glibly ignorant of boxing's fine details, but he calls the fight pretty vivaciouly from what is almost a typical fan's point of view.

Lennox Lewis was the worst professional analyst ever, and Bobby Chez was the best. For ring announcers these day Jimmy Lennon Jr., though I do not mind Michael Buffer. It is Bruce Buffer I find so appallingly tranparent with his fake voice and all. But fortunately, he does MMA.

The difference between an excitable Lampley and an on-point Bernstein is rather important. Lampley can completely and inadvertantly lead millions of viewers astray, whereas Al always stays in tune with what is happeneing in the ring on a more technical level.

Atlas has some insights, but he is too full of personal agendas to trust fully.

Comment

Since you specified "most annoying" rather than just the worst, Teddy Atlas is an easy choice. He's the kind of guy who I would move my seat if I were stuck next to him. A totally boorish hypocrite.

All time worst by a mile is Ferdie Pacheco though.

Comment

Paulie Malignaggi bothers me a lot.

Comment

I liked Barry Tompkins.. Then HBO replaces him with that biased predictable bozo..

Comment

Kevin Rooney. His squeaky voice in commentary was annoying IMO. I suppose he was a special guest a few times but still....
            Last edited by Caught Square; 07-18-2015, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Howard Cosell

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
                I tend to like most of them. Bobby Chez and Al Bernstein would be the best team ever IMO. But you want my unfavorite. Lampley, I guess, but I even like him too. He seems glibly ignorant of boxing's fine details, but he calls the fight pretty vivaciouly from what is almost a typical fan's point of view.

Lennox Lewis was the worst professional analyst ever, and Bobby Chez was the best. For ring announcers these day Jimmy Lennon Jr., though I do not mind Michael Buffer. It is Bruce Buffer I find so appallingly tranparent with his fake voice and all. But fortunately, he does MMA.

The difference between an excitable Lampley and an on-point Bernstein is rather important. Lampley can completely and inadvertantly lead millions of viewers astray, whereas Al always stays in tune with what is happeneing in the ring on a more technical level.

Atlas has some insights, but he is too full of personal agendas to trust fully.
                Hot damn Lefty!!! maybe I got mes some injun blood or somethin, as we are cut from the same cloth! Yes, all the respect for LL in the world, hell of a fighter, but a worse commentator is hard to imagine. and Totally agree about Bobby C. Chez has a mensa level IQ actually. I would have no problem with putting Chez as one of the best, his ability to break the strategic fine points down was wonderful, I miss him.

As for the most annoying? well I respected Cosell and liked him but in that sort of way that you had a girl friend who had the nicest deriere, and looking at that deriere was enough to cause temporary amnesia, alas the other 99.9 of the time she was a pain in the azz. Cosell could be rage inducing at times. Had a similar sort of opinion of merchant, but merchant knows his shizzle.

I don't mind a BAD commentator like Lewis....what I can't stand is a BIASED commentator. On that account one of the most irritating things for me was watching Stewart (RIP) who was such a seminal and iconoclastic feature in the boxing world...become a shill for HBO.
                Last edited by billeau2; 07-18-2015, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                  Since you specified "most annoying" rather than just the worst, Teddy Atlas is an easy choice. He's the kind of guy who I would move my seat if I were stuck next to him. A totally boorish hypocrite.

All time worst by a mile is Ferdie Pacheco though.
                  I had nothing against ol' Ferd. Did he spit half a gallon with each paragraph like Max Kellerman? I save most of my wrath for judges and referees.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                    Hot damn Lefty!!! maybe I got mes some injun blood or somethin, as we are cut from the same cloth! Yes, all the respect for LL in the world, hell of a fighter, but a worse commentator is hard to imagine. and Totally agree about Bobby C. Chez has a mensa level IQ actually. I would have no problem with putting Chez as one of the best, his ability to break the strategic fine points down was wonderful, I miss him.

As for the most annoying? well I respected Cosell and liked him but in that sort of way that you had a girl friend who had the nicest deriere, and looking at that deriere was enough to cause temporary amnesia, alas the other 99.9 of the time she was a pain in the azz. Cosell could be rage inducing at times. Had a similar sort of opinion of merchant, but merchant knows his shizzle.

I don't mind a BAD commentator like Lewis....what I can't stand is a BIASED commentator. On that account one of the most irritating things for me was watching Stewart (RIP) who was such a seminal and iconoclastic feature in the boxing world...become a shill for HBO.
                    Your former analysis of Lewis was spot on. He makes the most ordinary statements as if they were incredible boxing insights.

If you don't throw the jab, it will not hit anybody.

That would be typical of his awesome insights hot from the griddle.

Comment

Working...
                    X