Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Isn't The Lead Hand Used To Parry Rights?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Isn't The Lead Hand Used To Parry Rights?

can't recall any incidents of this. If I'm wrong, I'd appreciate some examples of this being done

I have seen guys to do, it's just not common because the right hand is usually a very powerful punch and your jab hand doesn't have the weight behind it to fully parry and misdirect the shot like how your right (rear) hand has much more weight behind it

Comment

As for examples,, I know I have seen Hopkins and Roy both parry a right hand with the left and then shoot a left hook over the top of it, and I believe donaire has done it as well.. It was vs lesser competition, but has been done.. If it's a top level guy with a good right hand that's fast and powerful it's nearly impossible to do.. Your not going to be effective parrying with your left hand a straight right from a hearns or Lennox, etc

Comment

It is taught, I teach it and it really depends on the distance you are at. For example, if you are far enough away where you can catch it and your not too close, then do it.

It's a great way to just knock the right hand down, as you step back and be out of danger.

If you are close though, definitely not what you want to do as someone else has said, it comes to hard to stop that way. Better to roll it off the glove as you cover up and "catch" it that way.

Harder and more experienced way to do it, but it can be done and can be effective if you are at distance.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
          It is taught, I teach it and it really depends on the distance you are at. For example, if you are far enough away where you can catch it and your not too close, then do it.

It's a great way to just knock the right hand down, as you step back and be out of danger.

If you are close though, definitely not what you want to do as someone else has said, it comes to hard to stop that way. Better to roll it off the glove as you cover up and "catch" it that way.

Harder and more experienced way to do it, but it can be done and can be effective if you are at distance.
          Good post,, your exactly right, if it's from a distance it's much easier to pull off

Comment

It is, who uses their right to parry a right?
            Facing your opponent you don't cross hands for parry on defense. The left doesn't wipe a left jab! (you'd be opened for a right hand.
            Rarely are you blocking a right hand (power punch) with your left (lead hand) fighters today rely on bringing the gloves back to cover and the very talented ones slip and counter.
            Ray.

Comment

I will say that I am not a boxer so I hope this does not sound ridiculous but why would anyone parry a jab? a jab is really fast. You slip it, use lateral movement, or a false fighting line to move the head over a back foot and shoulder.

If you are so close you have to parry the jab then you still better not be depending on the hand to parry the punch out of the way.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                I will say that I am not a boxer so I hope this does not sound ridiculous but why would anyone parry a jab? a jab is really fast. You slip it, use lateral movement, or a false fighting line to move the head over a back foot and shoulder.

If you are so close you have to parry the jab then you still better not be depending on the hand to parry the punch out of the way.
                Parrying can be incredibly effective if you are at the right distance. So for example, I teach a very traditional way of "catching" the jab with the back hand if you are facing orthodox vs orthodox for this example.

Catching is easier, and you can counter probably faster off a catch, but a parry can result in bigger rewards. If you step to the right slightly with the right foot by pushing off your left foot as you parry, you not only defend the jab, but also take the angle and use your opponents momentum against him to leave him open for a bigger and better counter.

Again, parrying and catching are more dependent on distance than anything else, and also skill level. Like Ray said, it's easier to just cover up, but covering up won't allow you to counter as quickly as catching or parrying.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
                  Parrying can be incredibly effective if you are at the right distance. So for example, I teach a very traditional way of "catching" the jab with the back hand if you are facing orthodox vs orthodox for this example.

Catching is easier, and you can counter probably faster off a catch, but a parry can result in bigger rewards. If you step to the right slightly with the right foot by pushing off your left foot as you parry, you not only defend the jab, but also take the angle and use your opponents momentum against him to leave him open for a bigger and better counter.

Again, parrying and catching are more dependent on distance than anything else, and also skill level. Like Ray said, it's easier to just cover up, but covering up won't allow you to counter as quickly as catching or parrying.
                  That makes sense.

Comment

I taught parrying to my young fighters because its a great exercise in eye/ hand coordination. However I prefer to only use the right hand to wipe (parry) to set up slips and to counter. To slip and counter quickly without blocking is more effective than to sit back and parry. When I see a fighter parrying and only parrying I'm definitely bringing a two handed attack immediately and we're looking to pressure the right side of the body since that side is "on" defense by parrying!

Again its a great exercise to develop eye/hand coordination but in a fight with and experienced well taught opponent you can get in trouble quickly relying on that technique alone.
                    Ray

Comment

Working...
                    X