Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bizarre, random question a friend of mine asked me a while back.................

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hardmanbrit View Post
    Can hyperventilation cause permenant brain damage?

Also, can regular hyperventilation cause less oxygen to get to the muscles, making it harder to do weights and making it harder for the muscles to heal?

These may sound like ridiculously stupid questions, but I know nothing about the human body.

I think hyperventilation causes not enough oxygen to get to the brain and the body, though???

The guy who asked me these questions is a guy who suffers with anxiety ever since he was involved in a high speed car crash and it is genuinely not me!
    I thought this was a boxing forum?...

Comment

Originally posted by SJB'09 View Post
      Hyperventilating blows off your carbon dioxide which causes your cerebral vessels to dilate. This reduces the blood pressure in these vessels, which causes you to pass out.
      Thank you, when you say blow off, can you put that in simpler terms sorry just curious now

Comment

ie. removed from blood system/body.

Carbon Dioxide is removed from the blood, so the pH level rises (shifts from the acidic end to the base end). This, as already mentioned, forces the blood vessels to contract, inhibiting the trasport of essential electrolytes into the brain, which damages the CNS.

Comment

Originally posted by Funky_Monk View Post
          Thank you, when you say blow off, can you put that in simpler terms sorry just curious now
          As you breathe out you remove CO2 from your lungs, which is replaced by more CO2 moving into the lungs from the blood. The faster you breathe, the more CO2 you remove from your blood. I slipped up before; instead low blood CO2 causes the cerebral vessels to constrict, reducing the blood flow to the brain and causing a light headed feeling and potentially loss of consciousness. This should not cause permanent damage as normal ventilation is resumed when you pass out.

Comment

Originally posted by RelliK View Post
            I'm sure it could cause some sort of brain damage in a very bad case.
            if it can make you pass out it prob can do some damage too.

I've heard that some swimmers with hyperventilate themselves to help expand their lungs before a long swim so i guess it can be good for if you know how to do it right.

Weight lifters also do it before a big lift .

I have a friend with the same problem your friend should look into getting meds for it.
            Just tell your friend to see a doc..

Thank you very much man.

I have heard you can get treated for that ****.

Comment

Originally posted by SJB'09 View Post
              As you breathe out you remove CO2 from your lungs, which is replaced by more CO2 moving into the lungs from the blood. The faster you breathe, the more CO2 you remove from your blood. I slipped up before; instead low blood CO2 causes the cerebral vessels to constrict, reducing the blood flow to the brain and causing a light headed feeling and potentially loss of consciousness. This should not cause permanent damage as normal ventilation is resumed when you pass out.

Thank you very much my friend.

You have been extremely helpful.

I have been told that hyperventilation could possibly cause muscle spasms or something? Does hyperventilation weaken or damage muscles at all?

Comment

Originally posted by hardmanbrit View Post

I have been told that hyperventilation could possibly cause muscle spasms or something? Does hyperventilation weaken or damage muscles at all?

I think it was an idiot who told you that.

Personally, I do not think hyperventilation affects the muscles.

Don't quote me on that though, as I am not a doctor!!!

Comment

There is not much he an do about it apart from ask his doc, rather than us. I would crack on with training and if he wants to fight he should be honest in his medical as it is something serious.

Comment

Originally posted by JulioCesaChavez View Post
                    There is not much he an do about it apart from ask his doc, rather than us. I would crack on with training and if he wants to fight he should be honest in his medical as it is something serious.

That is very good advice for the dude.

I think I am right when I say that it does not cause muscle damage, though.

Comment

Originally posted by JulioCesaChavez View Post

Thanks for that, man.

Comment

Working...
                      X