Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's not so much size that matters, rather Style.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
    Apples, I could not agree with you more. Watching all the greats of the past, it never mattered, and there were none of those divisions inbetween. If you weighed over 135, you fought at Welterweight, and if you were over 147, you fought at middleweight, and heavyweights of 180 pounds were fighting guys who weighed 200, 250, and more pounds.

I find that argument so ridiculous and for somebody like me who has idolized smaller men like Tyson, Frazier and Dempsey, it is laughable that many fans today think this guy or that guy would be "too big."

It's all about the style. To me, fighting Mike Tyson or Joe Frazier, Wlad or Vitali's height is a DISADVANTAGE because those guys used their height to their advantage so well.

I notice though that most of these guys are die hard Lennox/Vitali/Wlad fans. It's the same argument from these people everytime "Lennox/Wlad/Vitali would be too big, too strong for Tyson/Dempsey/Frazier." I believe it is simply not true, but rather the speed of the smaller man when compared to the bigger man is more dangerous, considering those smaller men can hit as hard as the bigger men.

Now if those super heavies were as fast as the smaller guys, that may pose a problem.

I agree fully with you Apples, and whenever talking fantasy fights if people start saying another guy is "too big" for another guy I will usually not even respond to that person because they're not worth the time.

And I have kind of gone the poet route lately when thinking about fighters. People want to say "Well his best weight was 135 he wasn't effective at 140" and I'm starting to think that's a crock, because in the old days you had legit lightweights fighting with a much bigger gap with less weight classes being around. You'd never hear one of them use the excuse that the other guy "had 5 pounds on me." so why should we use it for them?

Although, in some cases, some guys come up from such a low weight that they're just not effective at another weight and that's the exception. Arguello starting off at 118 and having his best days at 126-130, and not being effective at 140 is one thing, but Ricky Hatton being effective at 140 and then getting totally blown out at 147 is another thing, and I don't think we can use the excuse for him that 147 is the reason he lost to Floyd when he fought at 140 his entire career.
    What do you think about a fight between James toney vs vitali klitschko?

the size Diff? Toney being five nine

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
      not if he was coming from 130. He'd get dropped perhaps by Maidana but his hand speed/counter punching ability would shred Maidana up
      I just assumed you meant 2011. when JMM would only go up one division and not even be at his career highweight.

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
        South Park.....TIMMAY :chuckle9:

I've temporarily changed my avatar to pay my respects to a great character...

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
          I've temporarily changed my avatar to pay my respects to a great character...
          PMSL :hahahaha9:

Comment

Size isn't as important fighting in the pocket but on the outside or inside its HUGE

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
              Size isn't as important fighting in the pocket but on the outside or inside its HUGE
              wrong. Not if you are slow.

Pac vs Margarito

Duran vs Barkley

Floyd vs DLH

Pac vs DLH

Leonard vs Hagler

Byrd vs Klitschko.....lol

theres way more just I can't think of them

if you are bigger, taller and faster, then yes you got some problems.

Comment

This has always been pretty obvious to me and I've even talked to casual fans/non fans and they're nodding heads in agreement. The same difference in weight is much more significant over lower weight classes than it be would at heavyweight. That's why weight gaps between weight divisions get further and further apart moving up.
                Last edited by Vadrigar.; 09-07-2011, 06:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X