No announcement yet.

Dumb-Assed Sparring Partner

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KostyaTszyu View Post
    Well no offence dude but he's right. Fair enough if he was told to work with you he should have. But you shouldnt make such a big deal out of it. Man on my 2nd day of being in a new gym i sparred the coaches son who is a very good fighter and weighed like 75kg (165lbs) to my 44kg (100 or so lbs). He didn't go hard obviously but he still hit me a ****load and i was battered as hell afterwards. But i came back and kept training and that's what you gotta do. And that's nothign to what my friend has been through. He's 66kg so when he spars the coaches son the coaches son used to put a nasty whooping on him. Not malicious but pretty hard. And he sparred other dudes older than him who he used to go toe to toe with. And guess what, it helps you, makes you tough as hell and when my friend had his first fight recently he looked like he had already had 7 or 8. And as soon as i started with that new gym and did tough sparring with bigger older dudes i won 3 fights in a row in like 3 months, went from being **** to being decent.

So i know im ranting but this **** helps you man. I mean as long as you ain't so battered you have bad headaches or broken nose etc you will be fine.
    Originally posted by lanzarote View Post
    I would have clearly stated & requested the ground rules before starting.

Then if the dumb ass had gone all out to knock the crap outa me when i was expecting a light jab practicing session i would have called a quick time out to question wtf he was doing.

Then draw a quick line under it and move on making a mental note that next time i am in the ring with the sparing idiot to always expect the unexpected.

The End.
    I would say that's the exact case with him now - I know he's a twat.

Comment

ur only 16...times on your side...forget about it

Comment

30lbs isnt a huge weight diffrence. anyways, yeah the guy shouldnt have jumped on u ike that, but it happens. i remember once i was pissed cuz it was only my third time sparring, i had only been training 2-3 weeks and this guy much bigger and more experienced beat me up. thats boxing though. just train hard and get him back.

Comment

Originally posted by #1Assassin View Post
          30lbs isnt a huge weight diffrence. anyways, yeah the guy shouldnt have jumped on u ike that, but it happens. i remember once i was pissed cuz it was only my third time sparring, i had only been training 2-3 weeks and this guy much bigger and more experienced beat me up. thats boxing though. just train hard and get him back.
          Uhh yeah it is

Comment

Originally posted by KostyaTszyu View Post
            Uhh yeah it is
            i meant its not a huge deal for sparring. back when i was at 141 i sparred guys 200+.

i know 30lbs is a big diffrence, but this guy was acting like he shouldnt be in the ring with this guy to begin with and making a big deal out of teh size. in sparring 30lbs isnt a big deal. that was my point, i thought it was obvious. my bad.

Comment

30lbs is a big a difference in my opinion, especially if he's tryying to go all out. I train at a gym with mainly grown adults, I'm the only 115lb'er sparring guys much much bigger than me, even 200+ (half of which are out of shape). So I know how frustrating unfairity is. I blame it mainly on trainers who make bad decisions, and my trainers are terrible and posses no logic what-so ever. And getting the **** kicked out of you doesn't make you better, nor do I believe it makes you tougher, but that's my opinion and it's arguable. All I'm saying is I feel for you, cause you went into that ring with an understanding of it being light, and that guy burst out trying to kick the **** out of you, in which you were not prepared for.

Comment

I had to explain my injury to my main trainer and he was furious when he found out what had happened.

I don't care what weight is acceptable and what is unacceptable - I'm paying to have my skills honed, and when I'm supposed to be working on my guard I expect to be working on my guard. And that's the exact point my trainer made when he found out.

The guy is about 6 years older than me - far more experienced and heavier. He was supposed to be lightly sparring to work on my guard...and tried to knock me out.

No matter how you look at it - he's a twat.

Comment

well i sparr guys much heavier then myself and it rarely bothers me. maybe its cuz im so abnormally tall for my weight. im 6'3 1/2 so even HWs and super HWs are rarely much taller than me. so without a big height disadvantage (sometimes im even taller) and with my speed advantage i can do pretty well. im a boxer anyways so i do what i always do, they rarely get to me so their strenght dont matter much. maybe im just used to it, always sparred bigger guys.

Comment

every time that Ive stepped into a ring to spar with "an agreement" I find that talk is worth ****. "ya, lets just work light, move around..." In time you will find that when you step into a ring basicaly anything goes.

What I do is work to their level/intensity. If they say we'll work light and he does then I will do the same. If they turn it up then I will turn mine up just that little bit more than theirs.

3 instances of somebody coming up and saying, "lets just work light."
                    1. Salmaci at the contender auditions. Before I even knew we were matched he comes up and says if we get matched lets just work, move around abit. I say ok. First thing he does from the bell is comes out with like 3 jabs and triples up the hook, **** I stuck my right hand on his nose and we started fighting.
                    2. Al Irish laughs when I say I'll work with him. He doesnt know me and probably has me by 50lbs. He says well just work light with the left hand, just move around. So the bell rings and hes rolling out like 6-7 hooks in a row. Im catching them all on my open glove thats placed beside my head. I say F**K this and drive my right fist square into his face. He backs up, rubs his nose and claims that he'll knock me out. I laugh and tell him to bring it, that hes got nothin' I havent already been through or seen. He takes his gloves off and leaves.
                    3. Im set to spar with a heavyweight and his trainer tells me that we are just going to "work light". I know his trainer and its all good. So we start up and this guys wingin' 'em hard with what hes got. I played till he landed a good one. The next shot I rolled and countered with a straight right on his forehead, his eyes roll up and he falls back and down.

If they fight you then fight them back, thats what your there to do. Dont take any ****. Some you'll come out ahead and some you wont, but you have to fight. Cant learn to fight if you never do...............Rockin'

Comment

Working...
                    X