No announcement yet.

Top 10 Greatest Middleweights of the 1980s

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
    After he beat the snot out of Moore his next fight was Hagler and than Hearns. stop acting like he was sitting around taking on soft touches instead of fulfilling his obligation to McCallum. If you need more details why this fight didn't happen see TheGreatA's post which should make the fact a bit clearer for you..

He had plenty of time to fulfill his obligation to his mandatory challenger in Mike McCallum.I know very well of Stewards involvement,gabby.I actually do my research unlike yourself.

Remind me again when he ducked him. Was it while Lyle was still green, or was it after Quarry had beaten him?.

You're just being stupid for the sake of being so it seems now.I've already told you before that Lyle remained a top contender and came back from his loss to Jerry Quarry.Lyle sure as hell wasn't green in 1974 and 1974.

Lol, yeah he cherry picked Quarry, Bonevena, Mathis, Foreman, Machen, Chuvalo, Ellis, Ali. You really are a tool. Only a biased hater like you would call Frazier a "cherry picker who lacked a pair". What a joke you are.

foreman being the only puncher that he did step in the ring with and believe it or not,foreman was regarded as a joke at the time.....so no surprise why frazier fought him.frazier cherry picked opponents that he knew wouldn't seriously test his fragile chin.

Comment

1. Marvin Hagler
      2. Michael Nunn
      3. Sumbu Kalambay
      4. Herol Graham
      5. Robbie Sims
      6. Iran Barkley
      7. Ray Leonard
      8. Thomas Hearns
      9. James Kinchen
      10. Sanderline Williams

regarding hearns : 2 stoppage losses at the weight , 1 stoppage loss below the weight , and not too many fights at the weight all in all really made me search hard for replacements but i could not find.
      regarding Williams : he really fought great opposition , was a victim of robberies , and is underrated , but as i said , who could find someone better than him that is out of that list ? frank tate ? maybe .

Comment

Marvin Hagler - number one. it's all right. other things doesn't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by donkim View Post
          He had plenty of time to fulfill his obligation to his mandatory challenger in Mike McCallum.I know very well of Stewards involvement,gabby.I actually do my research unlike yourself.
          Do I have to explain this to you like you're a child? It is NOT a duck when a fighters takes on bigger and more feared and accomplished opponents in lieu of his mandatory. Its not a duck because YOU think he had time to fit this fight in. It is not a duck when you opt to instead challenge the middleweight champion and than the other champion at 154. Time to grow up and stop being such a hater.

You're just being stupid for the sake of being so it seems now.I've already told you before that Lyle remained a top contender and came back from his loss to Jerry Quarry.Lyle sure as hell wasn't green in 1974 and 1974.
          Ok, Im going to go thru this one more time for you my mentally challenged friend. Frazier lost to Foreman in 73 while Lyle was still coming up. Incidentally Lyle lost the very next month to Quarry. He then fought Stallings, Peralta, Bailey, Newton, etc. etc. etc. till his fight with Bonavena in 74, another fighter Frazier had already beaten. Meanwhile Frazier came back against a respectable Bugner than fought Ali again, he then fought Quarry who had beaten your boy the year before, then Ellis, Ali and Foreman against. After that he was a shot fighter. So.....when EXACTLY was Lyle in a position to fight Frazier?

foreman being the only puncher that he did step in the ring with and believe it or not,foreman was regarded as a joke at the time.....so no surprise why frazier fought him.frazier cherry picked opponents that he knew wouldn't seriously test his fragile chin.
          Foreman was regarded as a joke? Never heard that before, can you supply some evidence? as far as Frazier cherry picking fighters who couldn't punch.......yeah, Ali, Quarry, Foreman, Bonavena, Chuvalo were all feather fisted right?

Comment

Originally posted by frankenfrank View Post
            1. Marvin Hagler
            2. Michael Nunn
            3. Sumbu Kalambay
            4. Herol Graham
            5. Robbie Sims
            6. Iran Barkley
            7. Ray Leonard
            8. Thomas Hearns
            9. James Kinchen
            10. Sanderline Williams

regarding hearns : 2 stoppage losses at the weight , 1 stoppage loss below the weight , and not too many fights at the weight all in all really made me search hard for replacements but i could not find.
            regarding Williams : he really fought great opposition , was a victim of robberies , and is underrated , but as i said , who could find someone better than him that is out of that list ? frank tate ? maybe .
            That's a more realistic list..
            Frank Tate is an excellent call, and should definitely be on there..

Comment

Foreman regarded as a joke? He was an Olympic gold-medalist at the 68'
              Olympics and 37 - 0 with 34 by KO. Now perhaps he wasn't viewed to be the caliber fighter that Frazier was at the time but he had 2 wins over Gregorio Peralta and George Chuvalo not to bad for a 22 year old kid. I think saying he was regarded as a joke may be a bit of a hyperbole.

Comment

Do I have to explain this to you like you're a child? It is NOT a duck when a fighters takes on bigger and more feared and accomplished opponents in lieu of his mandatory. Its not a duck because YOU think he had time to fit this fight in. It is not a duck when you opt to instead challenge the middleweight champion and than the other champion at 154. Time to grow up and stop being such a hater.

Do I have to type this out in big red letters? McCallum had been Duran's mandatory or almost a year.There were seven months between Duran's challenge or the middleweight title and his challenge or Hearns version of the junior middleweight title.Duran could have deended his title within that time.It's quite obvious that Duran had no intention in fighting McCallum afterwards either

Ok, Im going to go thru this one more time for you my mentally challenged friend. Frazier lost to Foreman in 73 while Lyle was still coming up. Incidentally Lyle lost the very next month to Quarry. He then fought Stallings, Peralta, Bailey, Newton, etc. etc. etc. till his fight with Bonavena in 74, another fighter Frazier had already beaten. Meanwhile Frazier came back against a respectable Bugner than fought Ali again, he then fought Quarry who had beaten your boy the year before, then Ellis, Ali and Foreman against. After that he was a shot fighter. So.....when EXACTLY was Lyle in a position to fight Frazier?

When was bugner in position to fight frazier? When was a shot Jimmy Ellis in position to fight frazier in a pointless rematch? frazier was nothing more than a contender at this time,just like Ron Lyle.

frazier avoided Lyle,just like he avoided a fight with Mac foster,Earnie Shavers,Leotis Martin and any other big punching ****er who entered the rankings.Quarry fought them,Ellis fought them,Ali fought them and frazier did all he could to avoid them.

frazier would rather sit around and cherry pick easy matchups than take on a dangerous contender who could punch.

Foreman was regarded as a joke? Never heard that before, can you supply some evidence? as far as Frazier cherry picking fighters who couldn't punch.......yeah, Ali, Quarry, Foreman, Bonavena, Chuvalo were all feather fisted right?

foreman was regarded as a joke before his win over frazier.He was regarded as protected prospect with a padded record who had little to no technique and avoided anyone with a pulse.

You can go read some of the old sportsillustrated articles gabby.

Comment

Do I have to type this out in big red letters? McCallum had been Duran's mandatory or almost a year.There were seven months between Duran's challenge or the middleweight title and his challenge or Hearns version of the junior middleweight title.Duran could have deended his title within that time.It's quite obvious that Duran had no intention in fighting McCallum afterwards either

When was bugner in position to fight frazier? When was a shot Jimmy Ellis in position to fight frazier in a pointless rematch? frazier was nothing more than a contender at this time,just like Ron Lyle.

frazier avoided Lyle,just like he avoided a fight with Mac foster,Earnie Shavers,Leotis Martin and any other big punching ****er who entered the rankings.Quarry fought them,Ellis fought them,Ali fought them and frazier did all he could to avoid them.

frazier would rather sit around and cherry pick easy matchups than take on a dangerous contender who could punch.

The nonsensical rantings of a hater, not a fan. Sorry PissPooper, EVERYTHING you have cried about here has been debunked with facts. You can't change history girlyman, you're gonna have to learn to live with it. Duran....,.Top 3 lightweight all time, top 10 p4p fighter all time. Frazier.....Top 12 heavyweight all time.

foreman was regarded as a joke before his win over frazier.He was regarded as protected prospect with a padded record who had little to no technique and avoided anyone with a pulse.

You can go read some of the old sportsillustrated articles gabby.
                  So once again you want to make a claim and not back it up? Lol, Typical!!!

Comment

So once again you want to make a claim and not back it up? Lol, Typical!!!

Here's a little preview for when you do eventually decide to stop being such a lazy git:

"Foreman's handlers avoided Ellis, Quarry, Bonavena. Ali and others on the way to Jamaica. Among fighters of middling stature. Foreman fought only Gregorio Peralta and George Chuvalo.

Such minor opponents are what gave rise to the reservations about Foreman's record. The 34 knockouts in 37 fights were considered deceptive."

Comment

Here's a little preview for when you do eventually decide to stop being such a lazy git:

"Foreman's handlers avoided Ellis, Quarry, Bonavena. Ali and others on the way to Jamaica. Among fighters of middling stature. Foreman fought only Gregorio Peralta and George Chuvalo.

Such minor opponents are what gave rise to the reservations about Foreman's record. The 34 knockouts in 37 fights were considered deceptive."

2 things. First.......where does it say Foreman was looked at as a joke? Second......how was he looked at after he crushed the man who gave arguably the greatest heavyweight of all time his first loss?

Comment

Working...
                      X