No announcement yet.

Traditionally boxers would try and 'break' America

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traditionally boxers would try and 'break' America

However, i think now is the time to rethink this misguided idea.

The UK is now quite clearly the most favourable destination for ANY fighter, but particularly those from America. Recent years have shown that if an American boxer wishes to become a household name, and a respected fighter too, then he MUST come to the UK.

Here in Britain we have, by far, the best crowds, the best venues, the best safety standards and record, the best judges, the best PED testing, the best facilities, and most crucially, the best BOXERS. The unified HW champion of the world, the biggest carrot in the sporting world is British. The best Welterweight in the world, Kell Brook, again, British. We have strength in every division, and SKY Sports provides without question the best platform, alongside the incredible Boxnation channel, dedicated entirely to the sport.

If you're a boxer from around the world, but especially if you're from America, then you MUST come here to fight and PROVE you're capable of mixing it with out superstars because at the moment, it's abundantly clear, you're lagging WAY behind.

You needn't look any further than Terrence Crawford who was considered decent until he came to the UK and proved himself, now look at the hype he's getting.

I mean why do you think Floyd Mayweather Jr constantly talked about fighting in the UK but hasn't so far - he doesn't want to lose that undefeated record. British fighters like Kell Brook are deceptively good and would be considered Mayweather's equal if he were American. The majority of American world champions now are of British heritage too.

It's a shame that America has no presence in the heavyweight division too, sure Wilder is a paper champ but he's not beaten anyone good. He's going to experience difficulty against Szpilka and it's only a matter of time till he loses it to a European.

EDIT: Another thing I've noticed is the American BoxRec users are starting to claim European fighters as their own and introducing them into their rankings e.g Khytrov is ranked #5 in the US's middleweight division... like a drowning man gasping for air.

Comment

Yes, i wholeheartedly agree with you.

DW has been knocking out paper bags for his whole career. This is the supposedly HW champion of the world, all neatly wrapped up in his soft fluffy cotton wool, peering and popping his head out ever so often to squeal a few words about fighting this guy and that guy, and then gently pops his little head back into his warm burrow of cotton wool where he's nice and warm.

Then there's the FURY. Gypo fighting man, you want it, he'll give it to you. Doesn't care for anyone who gets in his way, and just dethroned the 11 year unbeaten unquestionable best HW in the world. Best him at his own game, in his own back yard and took those belts back to BRITAIN. He's a real man, sadly unlike little baby Wilder who is still in his soft baby cradle, being rocked to sleep by his mummy.

America does indeed have potential, but every American fighter needs to understand that they MUST use the British blueprint, be proud, brave and take risks. But sadly no, it appears they wont, because they're too comfortable sucking on their mummy Haymons nipples, getting their warm milk and rusks each night.

Shame, really.

Comment

In and among all the non-sense, there's a little truth in this. For the HW divison, Europe is now home, namely the UK and Germany. But for the welters, middles, light middles and possibly lhw, the US is still the big boys playground. Having said that, it is no longer necessary to "break America" to receive the million pound pay days.

Comment

The American Dream for Boxers only applies if you all roads lead to a dominant American.

Comment

The reason why it's been considered the 'home of boxing' is because USA used to have talented fighters. Put it this way, you travel to fight the best right? So remove all the foreign fighters from the rankings and compare - using that logic you'd see Americans travelling outside of their country.

It seems to me that USA is essentially every continent in one. You've got towns/states that house big populations of Polish, Russian, Italian etc kinda like a microcosm of every nationality in ze world. Thus when you have foreign fighters going there you can always almost guarantee a decent turn out. Although I doubt there are many Kazakhs that reside in Yankland.

Comment

Not going to go into all of that, but realistically I don't believe there is any reason for British fighters to travel for big fights at this stage.

To win a world title sure, but outside of that it makes more sense to fight in the UK. British fighters operating at that level guarantee sold out venues, the fight will be shown on a big stage through a big broadcast company, the money will be good...

For British fighters, the whole 'prove yourself in America' thing is now out dated and of no benefit.

Comment

Interesting!

I love Tyson Fury, Kell is cool. But Khan is a clown. King Con is just that!
                Bambi on ice skates.

Long live Fury!
                He fights good, talks up a storm, and backs it up in the ring!

I would love it if American boxers went to the UK. Being an older guy, hopefully they won't be pelted with beer bottles when they win.

Hagler vs Minter, what a shame!

Comment

Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
                  I would love it if American boxers went to the UK. Being an older guy, hopefully they won't be pelted with beer bottles when they win.

Hagler vs Minter, what a shame!
                  Ah that was just a big misunderstanding.

When somebody wins in Formula 1, they get a bottle of champagne and then proceed to spray it all over everyone. Boxing fans can't really afford to do that so instead they showered Hagler with beer but obviously in a celebratory fashion. Another thing too is accents from certain places in Britain tend to distort the word 'winner' and it sounds more like 'nigger'.

But like I said just a big misunderstanding.

Comment

Originally posted by D-MiZe View Post
                    Ah that was just a big misunderstanding.

When somebody wins in Formula 1, they get a bottle of champagne and then proceed to spray it all over everyone. Boxing fans can't really afford to do that so instead they showered Hagler with beer but obviously in a celebratory fashion. Another thing too is accents from certain places in Britain tend to distort the word 'winner' and it sounds more like 'nigger'.

But like I said just a big misunderstanding.
                    Got it! LMAO!!!

The bobbies (police) had to surround Hagler and try to limit the number of congratulatory bottles that hit him, putting a damper on the celebration!

Hopefully now that those ruffians are on the run, filled with the fear of being Korned/impaled by bearded Koranic swords, boxing champions can safely travel to The UK!

Comment

Working...
                    X