No announcement yet.

Boxing Drills/Workouts for classes?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxing Drills/Workouts for classes?

I've moved over to the coaching realm and now I'm in charge of constructing classes.

I really want to keep things interesting and want some input on some of the things you all have done or seen through out the years.

Anything from partner drills, situational sparring, strength & conditioning, etc. Whatever I can fill in the time frame of my workouts to provide quality work and technique application.

Suggestions?

I've just had my first white collar boxing match.The two drills that I found most useful in my recent training have been the simple 2,4,6,8 drill which worked shoulder endurance and hand speed and doing shoulders and knees.

I think the shoulders and knees might have been made up by our trainer, its basically doing a round where you target lightly hitting the shoulders and knees of your opponent. There shouldn't be any real power behind the shots, just working on getting in and out range plus a little bit of timing. It built up the footwork and helped me to judge my reach.

These are very basic drills to get some foundation, but from having poor fitness and no boxing training I found that it really helped.

Comment

You can't beat the simple and classic rope drill. Ducking under and coming up with the hook or counter right

Youtube 'evaluation line' which is great for warm ups, footwork an conditioning for boxers.

Also the "tire drill" get a medium sized tire and each fighter puts their front leg inside, their rear leg out and they have to engage in a light spar. This helps to teach in fighting and moving close range instead of just running/jumping back which is obviously a bad habit.

Thanks for coaching!

Comment

Originally posted by JoeWhiley View Post
        I've just had my first white collar boxing match.The two drills that I found most useful in my recent training have been the simple 2,4,6,8 drill which worked shoulder endurance and hand speed and doing shoulders and knees.

I think the shoulders and knees might have been made up by our trainer, its basically doing a round where you target lightly hitting the shoulders and knees of your opponent. There shouldn't be any real power behind the shots, just working on getting in and out range plus a little bit of timing. It built up the footwork and helped me to judge my reach.

These are very basic drills to get some foundation, but from having poor fitness and no boxing training I found that it really helped.
        Can you elaborate a little more? I can't tell what context this is in, but it sounds interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by buddie View Post
          You can't beat the simple and classic rope drill. Ducking under and coming up with the hook or counter right

Youtube 'evaluation line' which is great for warm ups, footwork an conditioning for boxers.

Also the "tire drill" get a medium sized tire and each fighter puts their front leg inside, their rear leg out and they have to engage in a light spar. This helps to teach in fighting and moving close range instead of just running/jumping back which is obviously a bad habit.

Thanks for coaching!
          I've been doing a variation of this because tires aren't easy to lug around haha. I'm going to just use tape. Unfortunately the tire offers a physical barrier that would work perfect over tape.

Comment

Originally posted by BG_Knocc_Out View Post
            I've been doing a variation of this because tires aren't easy to lug around haha. I'm going to just use tape. Unfortunately the tire offers a physical barrier that would work perfect over tape.
            Another way do this is to use tape or a hand wrap to tie the lead legs together. But the problem with that, is it creates an unnatural movement with the lead (pivoting) foot.

Comment

Originally posted by buddie View Post
              Another way do this is to use tape or a hand wrap to tie the lead legs together. But the problem with that, is it creates an unnatural movement with the lead (pivoting) foot.
              That's a good substitute.

Let's get some more in here

Comment

Working...
              X