No announcement yet.

16 a good age to start boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16 a good age to start boxing?

Im 16 right. i had been doing karate for quite some time but after doing it for a while was seemingly getting a little boring to me. So i plan on starting boxing. Would 16 be a good age to start?

Yeah 16 is alright Hopkins started when he was in his early 20s,maybe 21.Also Boxing is scientific just like any sport,so it does not matter how much you train(though that matters).It is about HOW you train,and if your looking to turn pro wait until your atleast 20.

Comment

Originally posted by dmoney7141998 View Post
      Yeah 16 is alright Hopkins started when he was in his early 20s,maybe 21.Also Boxing is scientific just like any sport,so it does not matter how much you train(though that matters).It is about HOW you train,and if your looking to turn pro wait until your atleast 20.
      For trainign how much do you guys run? Amatuer boxers how much do you guys run? For karate i usually run 10 km 5 days a week for stamina nothing else really. We did phsycal training only on fridays sparring and such on other days . How do boxers training go?

Comment

If your doing boxing for fun and getting in shape then three miles 4 days a week.If your serious then start with three then work your way up until you can run six miles without dying lol.

Comment

Also for amateur training once you know the basics of knowing how to slip a punch and how to throw punches and learning the stance and footwork.A basic training could be 5 days a week 4 rounds heavy bag,double end bag,speed bag and 4 rounds shadow boxing.Then 4 days a week 3 rounds of sparring 3 minute rounds.

Comment

Yes.

Now stop making threads and get training.

Best of luck to you.

Comment

First off don't make any comparisons to karate, there two very different sports. Second find a trainer to learn under or you will be wasting your time!
              Once you learn poor techniques you will struggle when trying to correct them.
              I was a trainer for close to 50 years so I'm telling you this from experience! Your age is a good starting point because you should be through your awkward stages!
              Without a trainer and a home gym your nothing but a backyard hacker who will get your azz handed to you at any tourney or local gym!
              good luck............................Ray.

Comment

There are a few things you can take with you from karate, but as someone said they are complete different martial arts.

First you will need to learn a more boxing stance... Hands by hips and head straight up in the air wont cut it in boxing.

Most Karate stances are rear leg stances so that may help out. I know karate teaches footwork and angles, so you can bring that with you. I also have noticed that karate fighters are often taught how to fight from both orth and southpaw stances, that could come in handy as well.

find a trainer to learn under or you will be wasting your time!
                Once you learn poor techniques you will struggle when trying to correct them
                This is sound advice. Learning and drilling improper technique can often be worse then doing nothing at all.

Comment

Rear legged stances? If your implying that dropping weight on your rear leg to kick is an advantage you coyuldn't be more wrong!
                  In boxing your basic stance and movement will consist of 60 to 70% of your weight up front NOT on the rear. Transferring weight to the back will get you on your seat faster than yelling "look out"! Ray

Comment

any age is good....

Comment

Working...
                    X