Collapse
No announcement yet.

Errol Spence: What's the problem?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Look at roy jones competition for the first few years.. It wasn't til about year 4 (1992) that roy stepped up

I do think spence needs some better opponents in 2015..

Someone mentioned Gomez,,, that's a good call..
    Also guys like Kermit cintron, josito Lopez, Tim Coleman, Vernon Paris, zab Judah, cano, Matt Hatton, maybe dig up Nate Campbell or casamoyer

Comment

I see no problem. Young fighters get moved at different paces, he's not a finished product and this is his time to improve and get ready for better opponents. It's not like he has 30+ fights. Also it's not like anybody is calling him a P4P fighter or saying he would beat "Elite fighter A" with the crap opposition he's had. His management team is not trying to trick the casual fan thus far by putting him in with crap opponents on main events and hyping him to be some P4P fighter (like what was done with other guys in recent times. No names needed) He's a prospect fighting overmatched opposition for very cheap on small cards/prospect cards.

Now with that said... the REAL problem is this: I find it absolutely hilarious how I see posters giving crap to guys like Lomachenko for example, (ya know the guy who fought Orlando Salido in his second fight) and calling him a hypejob waiting to be exposed, etc.. We're talking about a guy who's jumped to the pros and IMMEDIATELY made it clear he wants to fight the best. But some of those exact same posters have no problem floating around posts around NSB like "Spence Jr is the next Floyd. Best P4P prospect," etc

Double-standards and irony like that is ridiculous and cringe-worthy. But that aside, Spence Jr's quality of opposition is not- he'll step up eventually. Then again I believe he is with Haymon. Haymon and his fighters are more interested in fake-boxing/WWE-reality show stuff. So, who knows.

Comment

hes being brought along fine bigger fights will come all you have to do is calm down and wait

Comment

Great!

Another Haymon bum hunter!

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
            Look at roy jones competition for the first few years.. It wasn't til about year 4 (1992) that roy stepped up

I do think spence needs some better opponents in 2015..

Someone mentioned Gomez,,, that's a good call..
            Also guys like Kermit cintron, josito Lopez, Tim Coleman, Vernon Paris, zab Judah, cano, Matt Hatton, maybe dig up Nate Campbell or casamoyer
            Yeah, but Jones looked spectacular when fighting bums ( he did it post hopkins too lol) but Spence seems real shakey even now. He fights in straight lines, his hands are quick but he can barely trhow 2 or 3 punches at a time, it's a stretch for him.

Originally posted by 12TRIBEsRiSe View Post
            hes being brought along fine bigger fights will come all you have to do is calm down and wait
            I'm calm, I just dislike the hype about him because, with regards to the eye test, I see little to excite me.

Comment

Spence is feasting on dat Russel Jr diet.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
                Chill and let the kid grow man
                He isn't allowed time to develop!!! A squeaky clean kid even gets the hatchet !!! The Closet hate is Strong

Comment

I cant work it out either. He looks like he has the goods and that has been the word on the inside for a while now.

Comment

Originally posted by King_ View Post
                    I see no problem. Young fighters get moved at different paces, he's not a finished product and this is his time to improve and get ready for better opponents. It's not like he has 30+ fights. Also it's not like anybody is calling him a P4P fighter or saying he would beat "Elite fighter A" with the crap opposition he's had. His management team is not trying to trick the casual fan thus far by putting him in with crap opponents on main events and hyping him to be some P4P fighter (like what was done with other guys in recent times. No names needed) He's a prospect fighting overmatched opposition for very cheap on small cards/prospect cards.

Now with that said... the REAL problem is this: I find it absolutely hilarious how I see posters giving crap to guys like Lomachenko for example, (ya know the guy who fought Orlando Salido in his second fight) and calling him a hypejob waiting to be exposed, etc.. We're talking about a guy who's jumped to the pros and IMMEDIATELY made it clear he wants to fight the best. But some of those exact same posters have no problem floating around posts around NSB like "Spence Jr is the next Floyd. Best P4P prospect," etc

Double-standards and irony like that is ridiculous and cringe-worthy. But that aside, Spence Jr's quality of opposition is not- he'll step up eventually. Then again I believe he is with Haymon. Haymon and his fighters are more interested in fake-boxing/WWE-reality show stuff. So, who knows.
                    This is a damn good post.

Comment

Originally posted by PK3434 View Post
                      Everyone in boxing pretty much thinks Errol Spence is going to be great and I agree.

But Al Haymon, for as smart as he is, has no idea how to build and develop a fighter. What he did to Gary Russell jr was horrible, having him fight the worst of the worst for 20something fights, and then when he buys his way into a title fight looks completely outclassed against Lomachenko, who had only 2 professional fights going in. The same thing may happen to Wilder. And every good prospects fights bums, but they are matched carefully to work on certain aspects of their games and to fight certain types of fighters..some fast...some durable, etc. But Al's guys just seem to fight bums for no purpose other than to pad the record.

Errol Spence, however, seems too talented for that to happen to him.

Yup - they make you want to think Haymon fights for the big money, but he fights for the EASY money.

This results in his guys running through, at best, C level competition, and when they finally do go up, they never had that transition level of fights that all prospects should go through - where they really learn, and not just go through the motions.

Comment

Working...
                      X