No announcement yet.

Great In-Depth Article On Why Andre Ward Won't Win Lawsuit

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
    Why doesn't he just buy his contract out?
    The contract has no buyout clause, and I doubt Ward can afford whatever Goosen would ask for.

Comment

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
      The contract has no buyout clause, and I doubt Ward can afford whatever Goosen would ask for.
      That what I am thinking, his last fight he made 2 million now cut that in halk for taxes, 1 million now say 350,000 for his trainer manger and rest of team, leaves him with 700,000. Now tutor will ask for something close to this. No way would he be able to buy it out comfortably.

Comment

The art. notes Ward also filed suit in Houston, TX. on the basis that Prince has a home there. Now that is desperate. The contract has no relation to TX at all. As one would expect the sit in TX has not gone well either. Ward expects to lose in CA. so he is mking frivolous suits in other states hoping to get a favorable judge.

The art also states since Leonard is a co-promoter then according to Ward's lawsuit he is also violating CA law, but he is not being sued for it, only Goossen.

Also about the alleged violations of the Ali Act Ward is citing De La Hoya's case v Arum, but that situation was for 1 contract that exceeded 7yrs, Ward's situation is not at all like De La Hoya's. Ward's contract's had to do with several different agreements, they were separate deals not 1 like De La Hoya's. Plus Ward's agreements were approved by him, his manager, his lawyer, Dan Goossen, Goossen's lawyer, and the California State Athletic Commission.
        Last edited by jdp28tx; 08-06-2014, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Didn't he make like 2 million for the E-Rod Fight? Seems that he should not have any complaints about how much he gets paid, relative to the type of draw he is. At first I thought it was solely about loyalty, but now all of a sudden he is suing for back money? HBO obviously thinks extremely highly of him, and I am sure they would continue to market him and give him fights. I really am at a loss for what he is doing to his career right now.

Comment

Ward is cutting off his nose to spite his face. Fight 3 times under the contract, make some good $$$$ not just HBO pocket change, then walk away free in Oct 2016. WTF musicians do this all the time....actors used to do it too.

Comment

If wards loses I think he will just sue again

Comment

Ward is just plain pigheaded. He is jealous of FM, bcuz FM is a pay per view star and he is not. He blames it on his promoter, but Goossen never promised Ward he would become a pap per view star at least not on paper. Ward just regrets he resigned with Goossen and instead of sucking it up like a man and honoring his word/contract he is throwing a huge temper tantrum & he is using up all his earnings on this legalistic temper tantrum. All this because of his ego. I am sure that if he continues to not fight that even HBO at some point will fire him from his commentary gig, because they want him in the ring more than outside commentating. he is no use to HBO if he stays out for 2 more yrs.

Comment

Thanks for posting that, OP.

This is all so baffling; I still don't know what to make of this. I wonder if someone is whispering into Ward's ear, telling him he's getting screwed. Considering how many boxers have been screwed over, it wouldn't be hard for Ward to believe.

Does Ward owe Goossen a specific number of fights or can Ward just sit out until his contract expires?

Comment

The part were they tried to relate their situation with OLDH made me wonder in the past too, meaning guys in Cali can't play there for more than 7 years

Comment

I remember reading this bit, but I couldn't find it later when I needed a brush-up.

Thanks for posting.

Comment

Working...
                      X