Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Bernard Hopkins the oldest fighter to ever be ranked p4p#1?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was he? By who?

Comment

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
      he lost to taylor in 2005....he was born jan 1965=he was 40 and almost 41
      You are correct, I hadn't done the math. I just recall Jim Lampley saying Hopkins promised his mother he would not fight past 40 and that Tarver would be his last fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
        Was he? By who?
        The Ring had him #1 for a short time in 2004 I think.

Comment

hopkins losing to taylor enabled floyd to become #1. story of floyd's career. just hang around and wait until everyone else loses and move up by doing very little.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
            He couldn't have been 40 before losing to Taylor, he was 40 when he fought Tarver. He was still 39 when he lost to Taylor.

Any one know where Foreman was ranked in the P4P list after beating Moore?
            He was 41 when he fought Tarver, 40 both times against Taylor.

He fought Taylor 7/16/05 and 12/3/05. 40 years old.

He fought Tarver 6/10/06. 41 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
              hopkins losing to taylor enabled floyd to become #1. story of floyd's career. just hang around and wait until everyone else loses and move up by doing very little.
              Well the same happened for Hopkins the 2 times he was briefly #1 when Roy lost and when Shane lost and Roy Jones before that when Oscar lost and the same for Oscar before that when Roy when lost.

A new P4P #1 usually emerges when the current P4P #1 loses. Pretty normal and regular occurrence especially in modern history.

Rarely does a fighter leapfrog the reiging #1 if they don't lose and even when that has happened I.e Roy Jones overtaking Whitaker even then it was more to do with Whitaker looking bad in his fights.

No surprise this thread has nothing to do with Floyd and you're highlighting solely that though.
              Last edited by IronDanHamza; 01-15-2014, 04:57 PM.

Comment

yes he was,,,

when tarver ko'd jones, hopkins took over #1 from 04-05 but with his loss to taylor and floyd's beatdown of gatti, floyd then became p4p #1

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                  Every thread has to get turned into a Floyd thread by one poster, and then it turns into a full blown Floyd thread. Actual Floyd threads, like him visiting South Africa, turns into Floyd is taking PED's discussion or Floyd is ducking some one.
                  I've noticed the same phenomenon. Those that hate Mayweather the most, talk about him the most.

As to the TT, Hopkins is something else. First ballot HOF'er. He came out today and said he could beat Kovalev easily. The balls on him

Comment

Hopkins is a living legend whichever way you look at it. The man is a one of a kind phenom and we're blessed to be alive to witness his greatness in this era.

Comment

Hopkins is a freak tbh...very dedicated to the sport, even though he's made some comments about himself saying he wasn't...I think it was it gets harder and harder to get up and run at 6am everyday with a rolex on or something.

It's rare to see someone still in that shape and still competing at his level in any athletic sport let alone one of if not the most athletic of them. Hopkins is easily a first ballot Hall of famer and I've been glad to be able to see him in my time.

Comment

Working...
                      X