No announcement yet.

The reason Nonito is P4P higher than Sergio Martinez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
    Donaire is fighting a highly skilled boxer with an unbelievably talented amateur career. Sure, Rigo hasn't beat an "elite" fighter as a pro, but its clear as day how talented he is, thus his high ranking.

Sergio Martinez is fighting Martin Murray then will likely take a rematch with bum Chavez jr. However, the boxing world is drooling for a Martinez vs Golovkin fight. Golovkin, similarly to Rigo, has yet beat an "elite" pro fighter. He also was a decorated amateur. Its clear as day Golovkin is legit and is a threat to anyone at 160, thus his high ranking.

Both Rigondeaux and Golovkin are title holders, both highly ranked.

Donaire took the toughest path possible to unify the belts. Martinez however has no intentions of unifying and is taking the easier path.

This is the difference between the two. Maybe Martinez is enjoying his celebrity life in Argentina and that's great for him, but we can no longer call him the best if he's no longer willing to take on serious challengers.
    Great post. I was going to say that this is exactly how I FEEL, but no, this is exactly how IT IS. Martinez opposition is not as great as people make it out to be.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
      I give him credit for Darchinyan, Mthalane, Montiel, Mathebula, and Nishioka. Those were all good wins.

He has good wins, no doubt but I feel a lot are based more on name value than anything else.

They deserve credit but a lot of them are simply tiny guys or frankly not very good.

Sydorenko despite being tiny and shot deserves credit as he beat him very impressively. I rate that a better win than most of the usual names that get thrown around. I feel that is a better win than Arce & Vasquez Jr.

IMHO I feel Montiel, Nishioka, Sydorenko, Arce was all right at the tail end of their careers. Good names to have on your record but they wasn't exactly fresh when Donaire caught them.

I feel the same way about Chad Dawson, all 6-7 of his decent wins were to guys between like 41-47.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
        Froch has wins over Bute, Pascal, Dirrell, Abraham, Taylor and likely soon to be Kessler

You can go on about who Donaire has beaten the reality is almost all of his top wins are about the equivalent to Froch's wins over Rybaki & Robin Reid.

His Nishioka win is about as good as Reid, just a name, nothing but a shell.
        Arce isn't even that, hes never actually beaten a single fighter of note unless you want to class Vasquez Jr.
        Mathebula is a joke

Montiel - overrated. Who cares if some boxing fans put him in some fantasy make believe rating system.

90% of his record is against small guys. Darchinyan gets credit, Montiel gets credit but not as much as you lot go on about it. I mean did anyone actually not think he'd beat Montiel?
        the JT that froch beat is about as good as nonito's arce . abraham is a **** champion ,definiton of one dimentional.pascal which is probably his best win just got dominated by an old man. bute is nonito's vasquez jr. none of froch's wins were ever in the p4p rankings, nonito has had two. dirrel is nonitos cobrita martinez.

so where are froch's darchinyan and montiel who were p4p fighters? and nonito still has syrodenko , mthalane, mathebula after that.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
          I give him credit for Darchinyan, Mthalane, Montiel, Mathebula, and Nishioka. Those were all good wins.
          those were all good wins but bein that donaire is p4p top 5 that doesn't matter because no one can actually say that they thought any of those fighters had a chance against donaire and apparently that seems to be the rule in the boxing world recently so if we are gonna say he is top 5 p4p he should be held to the same standard as the top p4p fighters

Comment

Originally posted by Augustane View Post
            Everyone seems to have forgotten that Martinez just went through all sorts of recovery after his last fight: surgery on his knee and a broken left hand.

Stop giving him criticism for his comeback fight being against a relatively less dangerous foe - he/we won't know how much that surgery will have affected his movement.

Furthermore, we don't even know if his next fight will be vs. Chavez Jr. Slow your horses folks.
            seriously. golovkin made his hbo debut two weeks before martinez/chavez happened. martinez only fights twice a year. after the injuries he suffered in the chavez fight, he's supposed to comeback against the toughest guy in the division? at least murray is a solid MW, undefeated, and he's even golovkin's wba mando. yet these clowns praise golovkin for fighting rosado, ishida, and most likely vera if hbo green lights it. okay...

as for this thread, martinez was never the best. he's no. 3 behind ward and mayweather. if donaire beats rigondeaux in good fashion, i have absolutely no problem in him getting the no. 3 spot in the p4p rankings. i doubt he stays there though, cause most likely marquez/bradley or marquez/alvarado happens next, and if marquez wins we can see another switch of the rankings.

Comment

Originally posted by Rolph Spicer View Post
              And yet...he was the 2012 FIGHTER OF THE MUH****IN YEAR off the Vazquez, Mathebula, Nishioka, and Arce wins, bestowed upon him by nearly every boxing media entity/publication.

I'd trust the judgment of the members of the Boxing Writers Association of America over a butthurt Rigonho fanboy.

2012 fighter of the year due to politics. Quality over quantity.
              Freddie Roach trainer of the year for umpteen years running.
              It means ****!

The only decent win there is Nishioka who was inactive, ancient and shot to bits.

How am I butthurt anything? If I was I'd be bigging him up to make Rigo's win look even better. I'm a realist.

Comment

Originally posted by letsgobrady View Post
                did donaire beat rigondeaux? i must of missed that
                who said that?

Comment

Originally posted by letsgobrady View Post
                  those were all good wins but bein that donaire is p4p top 5 that doesn't matter because no one can actually say that they thought any of those fighters had a chance against donaire and apparently that seems to be the rule in the boxing world recently so if we are gonna say he is top 5 p4p he should be held to the same standard as the top p4p fighters
                  Floyd Mayweather has been a BIG favorite over everybody since DLH and is considered the P4P best by almost everyone

Comment

Originally posted by RockyB View Post
                    Great post. I was going to say that this is exactly how I FEEL, but no, this is exactly how IT IS. Martinez opposition is not as great as people make it out to be.
                    And time isn't in Sergio's side. I think he needs to add more elite fighters in his resume while he still has energy in his tank.

Comment

I have no problem with him being tie with Sergio for the p4p spot #4 list but he aint beating Ward or Mayweather or Marquez well maybe JMM but I doubt it, last year he fought two old guys who we knew where past it, Mathebula nob knew him and Wilfrdo got served by Arce worst then Nonito a year before, if Ward beats Jones jr and Calzaghe he would not get the credit from you that you are giving Nonito, every one criticize Ward when he took the Pavlik fight and that was a fight in the same area as Arce and Nioshika for Donaire, if Nonito beats Rigo (which is a 50/50) he could surpass Sergio temporarily.

Comment

Working...
                      X