Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#3 - 5 Myths Busted

"

5 Myths Exposed

The fitness industry is flooded with hundreds of myths. No matter where you go, you are bound to run into a self proclaimed fitness expert who tells you the new "magic" exercise for getting a six pack or a special food that you "must" eat. There are just too many myths to get into all of them today but I'm going to go over five in particular which seem to be the most relevant.

Spot Reduction: This refers to the ability to burn fat in a specific area of your body. Perhaps you are going to the beach in a couple of weeks and want your abs to show. Who cares about losing fat on your legs, no one will see them anyway right? Unfortunately, you can't control where your body will burn fat. No matter how many situps you do, you won't be burning anymore belly fat. The situps will burn calories but those calories won't be stripping directly off of your abs. Everybody burns fat differently. You may be lucky and lose all your fat from your abs first. I'm one of those people. Some people may lose fat steadily throughout their bodies. Others will lose fat in their back before their front and some will lose fat in their lower half before their upper half and vice versa. It's highly individual. The only part that applies to everybody is that you can't choose where you lose the fat.

Toning: This refers to making a body part more "toned" or leaner usually through high rep exercises. This myth probably started with the belief that by doing more reps, you are burning more calories and therefore losing more fat. Unfortunately, this logic is flawed. You can't make a body part leaner by doing higher reps. You may be burning slightly more calories by performing an extra couple of reps but those extra calories will make a negligible difference in your fat loss. The only way to lose fat is by changing your diet. Keep doing your high reps if you truly enjoy it but don't expect to get much out of it.

Cardio and Bulking: I can't even count all the times I have heard a person say that they haven't done cardio in months because they are bulking. Bulking is no excuse not to do cardio. Health should be the number one concern before achieving your goal physique. A couple of sessions of cardio per week can go a long way in maintaining a healthy heart. If health is of no concern to you, then do cardio because it will aid in muscle recovery, help utilize nutrients, stimulate your appetite so you can eat more, and burn fat so that you make leaner gains. It will also keep you in cardiovascular shape so that when you decide to cut at a later time, you won't have the stamina of an obese elderly man with bronchitis. Cardio will not hinder your progress whatsoever. It will only help. Three cardio sessions for 20 minutes after your work outs per week or a couple of HIIT sessions on your off days is sufficient.

Soreness and Muscle Growth: I know I'm not the only one who wakes up the day after a solid work out and checks to see if my muscles are sore. It's easy to get caught up in believing that sore muscles means you had a solid work out. However, soreness is not an indicator of growth. Soreness is a result of performing exercises that your body isn't accustomed to doing. That's all it is. Think about it this way. If you change your routine completely one day, you will most likely be more sore than usual the next day. If you do the same routine every week for a month, your soreness the next day will gradually decrease and may even disappear all together in a few weeks. Does this mean you are no longer getting a benefit from your work out? Of course not. You are still getting the benefits. Your body is just more accustomed to the routine so you aren't getting as sore.

Carbohydrates at Night One of the most common pieces of advice you will hear is not to eat carbohydrates after 8:00 pm. It is believed that since you are no longer active at night, the carbohydrates won't be burned as energy and instead will be stored as fat. This is false. You can eat carbohydrates whenever you want to. Carbohydrates eaten at night are no more likely to be stored as fat than carbohydrates eaten for breakfast. The important factor is your overall macro nutrients for the day. As long as your total macro nutrients for the day are the same, eat your carbohydrates whenever you want to. Now, if you are very inactive at night, it might make sense to eat less of your daily carbohydrates then simply because you don't need as much energy. Eating more carbohydrates before and after your work outs may lead to better overall performance so keep that in mind when planning your diet. Just don't be afraid to eat carbohydrates at night."

Taken from and credit given to pfaufitness.blogspot.com/2011/12/5-myths-exposed.html

Comment

This thread is brilliant! great info

Comment

Originally posted by LeutyTheBeauty View Post
        This thread is brilliant! great info
        Thank you very much! If there's anything I can help you with personally, please, do not hesitate to ask!

Comment

This is really a great idea!! Good Stuff Natural Pursuit!!

Comment

thoughts on

http://www.lewrockwell.com/decoster/decoster173.html

????

thx

Comment

Hey Natural Pursuit, I need to get down in weight, but I want to do it the proper way. I want to go down but keep my strength!!

Im 5' 9" and 150 pounds right now, Il be fighting at 130/135, depending on how well and efficient I can lose the weight. I have a fairly high metabolism.

I already cut off the red meats!!

What do you recommend?

Comment

please tell me if there's something else that i need to do. here is my workout routine and nutrition plan.

Wake Up @ 6:30 am
                30 min before heading to the gym i take Jacked Supplement.
                (empty stomach)

7am @ the gym Stretch, Hit the treadmill 1 mile jogging.

Set A
                3 sets (rest only when 3 sets is done)
                Pushups 10-15 reps
                Jump Squats 20 reps
                Wide Grip Pull Ups 10 reps
                Leg Raises 25-30 reps
                Dumbell Push Press 12 reps
                Plank 20-30 sec

Set B
                Incline Pushups 10-15 reps
                Lunges 15-20 reps
                Chin Ups 10 reps
                Scissor Kicks overlapping 60 secs
                Dumbell lateral raise 10 reps
                Side Plank 20-30 secs

Set C (rest only when 3 sets is done)
                3 sets
                Decline Pushups 10-15 reps
                Gobblet Squats 15-20 reps
                Bent Over Row 12-15 reps
                Scissor kicks 60 secs
                Dumbell front raise 10 reps
                Ab workout

Protein Shake then I hit the Steam Room, stretch.

After the gym i eat as soon as i can.

What I Feed My Body

1.) Meal 1
                Chicken Breast, Veggies, Wheat Bread & Egg

2.) Meal 2
                Meat, Veggies, Potatoes or Rice

3.) Protein Shake w/ fruits

4.) Meal 3
                Fish & Veggies

5.) Protein Shake before bed time.

this is what I do for Day 1 lets start off with this first. I usually workout 4 times a week depends when im not too busy. but usually it's M,T,TH,F
                Last edited by Bobby No Sex; 12-14-2011, 03:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by El C@cique@PR View Post
                  This is really a great idea!! Good Stuff Natural Pursuit!!
                  Thanks for the kind words! I will try my best to keep it helpful to everybody!

Originally posted by - v e t - View Post
                  thoughts on

lewrockwell.com/decoster/decoster173.html

????

thx
                  I tend to agree with much of that information. When the author states "We have not evolved to adapt to the heavily processed, sugary, high-carbohydrate, grain-loaded, corn oil-crazed garbage diet of the modern era." The biggest problem with this statement, although I believe it is 100% accurate, is that nearly 95% of our food in today's world has been, in one way or another, processed or otherwise distorted from its original form. A simple example, everyone knows in order to have a well balanced diet you must consume vegetables and fruits in order to intake a required amount of micronutrients, BUT the problem with all of these "fresh" fruits and vegetables is that they are treated with so many differently types of pesticides and preservatives, that it basically cancels out the good that it could do for you. Now don't take that statement as me telling you not to consume vegetables or fruits because I consume easily 3-4 servings of vegetables daily. My statement is more to make you all aware that, in today's world, there really aren't any foods that are "natural" or untreated, so you must do the best you can in order to get your required nutrients without putting yourself at risk by ingesting chemicals or other heavily processed items.

Originally posted by El C@cique@PR View Post
                  Hey Natural Pursuit, I need to get down in weight, but I want to do it the proper way. I want to go down but keep my strength!!

Im 5' 9" and 150 pounds right now, Il be fighting at 130/135, depending on how well and efficient I can lose the weight. I have a fairly high metabolism.

I already cut off the red meats!!

What do you recommend?
                  Well, if you are looking to loose weight while maintaining or even gaining strength, you must make sure your diet and training are suited 100% perfectly for your body type and lifestyle. In order for you to loose weight the MOST efficiently, you must calculate out how many calories you need per day in order to maintain your current weight, and then divide those calories into your 3 macronutrients, protein, carbohydrates, and fat. From there, as you need to keep you strength high while decreasing your weight, I believe the most efficient pattern to follow would to be to keep your protein intake moderate to reduce chance of muscle lose, keep carbohydrates high in order to fuel you through your workouts, and keep fat intake do about 25-30% of your daily caloric intake. As you have a high metabolism the first couple weeks of this diet will be trial and error, especially if you are not currently on a structured diet/training regimen. And as far as the red meats go, there is no need to cut them out all together. Red meats are, although high in fat (which is essential to our diet), are also high in protein and naturally occurring creatine, both extremely beneficial to someone with your current goals, so you can limit them, but I wouldn't take them out completely.

Originally posted by Sybian View Post
                  please tell me if there's something else that i need to do. here is my workout routine and nutrition plan.

Wake Up @ 6:30 am
                  30 min before heading to the gym i take Jacked Supplement.
                  (empty stomach)

7am @ the gym Stretch, Hit the treadmill 1 mile jogging.

Set A
                  Pushups 10-15 reps
                  Jump Squats 20 reps
                  Wide Grip Pull Ups 10 reps
                  Leg Raises 25-30 reps
                  Dumbell Push Press 12 reps
                  Plank 20-30 sec

Set B
                  Incline Pushups 10-15 reps
                  Lunges 15-20 reps
                  Chin Ups 10 reps
                  Scissor Kicks overlapping 60 secs
                  Dumbell lateral raise 10 reps
                  Side Plank 20-30 secs

Set C (rest only when 3 sets is done)
                  3 sets
                  Decline Pushups 10-15 reps
                  Gobblet Squats 15-20 reps
                  Bent Over Row 12-15 reps
                  Scissor kicks 60 secs
                  Dumbell front raise 10 reps
                  Ab workout

Protein Shake then I hit the Steam Room, stretch.

After the gym i eat as soon as i can.

What I Feed My Body

1.) Meal 1
                  Chicken Breast, Veggies, Wheat Bread & Egg

2.) Meal 2
                  Meat, Veggies, Potatoes or Rice

3.) Protein Shake w/ fruits

4.) Meal 3
                  Fish & Veggies

5.) Protein Shake before bed time.

this is what I do for Day 1 lets start off with this first. I usually workout 4 times a week depends when im not too busy. but usually it's M,T,TH,F
                  First of, what are your goals. Since I do not know weather you are looking to maintain, gain, loose weight, it is hard for me to say for sure. Starting off with your morning, I would place a larger meal before you take your pre-workout supplements as to fully fuel your body through the stress your about to put it under, this will help you perform in top physical condition, this is, unless, if you have been training fasted and feel you get a better workout, because as I said before, everyone's body responds different. Next moving on to your training, I would rearrange it so you do your cardio at the end of your workout so you can put maximal effort into your weight training, this will make your muscles adapt to the additional stress and, in the long run, benefit you greatly.

Lastly, it looks like your diet is all from high quality sources and as long as you are meeting your caloric intake/macronutrient intake for the day that matches up with your own personal goal, then it is great! If I were you though I would try and limit myself to 1 protein shake per day, and that is only my personal belief that your body benefits greater from whole food sources, and it will also keep you more full throughout the day. What type of protein are you taking also? For best results post-workout you would want a type of fast digesting protein like whey, and for your last meal of the day, or any meals in between that you feel like you SHOULD still keep in a protein shake, I would suggest a slow digesting protein like casein.

Comment

#4 - High Fiber Fruits and Vegetables

"Fiber is a very important part of a healthy diet. Unfortunately, most Americans consume only about half the recommended amount. The average Jane and Joe manage to consume approximately 12-14 grams of fiber per day when the American Dietetic Association recommends 20-35 grams for adults. There are 2 types of fiber - water soluble and insoluble. Water soluble fiber dissolves in water and is found in oatmeal, oat bran, beans, legumes and various fruits. Insoluble fiber cannot be dissolved in water, which means our bodies cannot digest it. Insoluble fiber is found in indigestible parts of vegetable plant walls and also certain cereals and brans. Here's a list of fruits and vegetables that are the highest in fiber:3 Dried Figs: 10.5 Grams
                    Half Cup Raspberries: 4.6 Grams
                    Mango: 4.5 Grams
                    Half Cup Blackberries: 4.4 Grams
                    Apple: 4 Grams
                    Pear: 4 Grams
                    Half Cup Blueberries: 3.8 Grams
                    Banana: 3 Grams
                    Artichoke: 10.3 Grams
                    1 Cup Peas: 8.8 Grams
                    1 Cup Broccoli: 5.1 Grams
                    1 Cup Turnip Greens: 5 Grams
                    1 Cup Sweet Corn: 4.2 Grams
                    1 Cup Brussels Sprouts: 4.1 Grams
                    Potato With Skin: 2.9 Grams
                    Carrot: 1.7 Grams"

taken from and credit given to abbperformance.com/news/highfiber-fruits-and-vegetables-n1487/

Comment

Originally posted by NaturalPursuit View Post
                      First of, what are your goals. Since I do not know weather you are looking to maintain, gain, loose weight, it is hard for me to say for sure. Starting off with your morning, I would place a larger meal before you take your pre-workout supplements as to fully fuel your body through the stress your about to put it under, this will help you perform in top physical condition, this is, unless, if you have been training fasted and feel you get a better workout, because as I said before, everyone's body responds different. Next moving on to your training, I would rearrange it so you do your cardio at the end of your workout so you can put maximal effort into your weight training, this will make your muscles adapt to the additional stress and, in the long run, benefit you greatly.

Lastly, it looks like your diet is all from high quality sources and as long as you are meeting your caloric intake/macronutrient intake for the day that matches up with your own personal goal, then it is great! If I were you though I would try and limit myself to 1 protein shake per day, and that is only my personal belief that your body benefits greater from whole food sources, and it will also keep you more full throughout the day. What type of protein are you taking also? For best results post-workout you would want a type of fast digesting protein like whey, and for your last meal of the day, or any meals in between that you feel like you SHOULD still keep in a protein shake, I would suggest a slow digesting protein like casein.
                      Let me start off with my height which is 5'6 1/2 and my natural weight is between 135-140. But due to excessive drinking and unhealthy foods I ballooned up to 170. So 3 months ago I decided to hit the gym again and stop drinking. So my goal at that time was pretty much to lose weight and maintain a healthy looking body nothing muscular nor didn't want to get massive muscles. Just toned and proper weight.

Regarding about the protein shake intake i did follow the nutrtion plan that I posted which i consumes 3 protein shake intake for a day. That only happened for the first month. Now I only take protein shake after I work out which is once a day intake. The protein shake I take is Lean Pro Matrix that I usually get at Nutrition Zone.

I see that you suggest that I take food first before working out to fuel my body. I do agree with you. When I was young, before I do anything regarding sports I would eat a good meal an hour and a half before doing the activity. But now due to my schedule I dont have time to eat early, wait for an hour then hit the gym. I hope it is ok. By the way I dont really count how much calories I consume and how many calories I burn. But I guess I consume more than what I burn.

Lastly, since I had lost weight and I think I'm around 142lbs now last time I checked. I think I reached my goal to lose weight but now I want to get ripped to get a beach body type. As you can see on my workout routine that I posted I barely lift weights. The only time I lift is thru dumbells for my arms and that's it. Oh I forgot I do lift weights but just the cable flys and that's about it. I don't want to get massive or too bulked just ripped and toned. Any suggestions?

Comment

Working...
                      X