Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What if Roy Jones Jr was in his prime now?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if Roy Jones Jr was in his prime now?

Im watching some of Roy Jones Jr fights in his prime. Like im sure most of you I go on youtube and watch old fights all the time and I always end up watching Roy Jones jr fights. The reason I make this thread tho is in my opinion if Roy Jones Jr was in his prime now or even in the last 5 years or so that he would be the PPV king and even would have competed with Floyd for that spot. I think his appeal his style everything happened just a few years too early. Im not saying this because of the competition though now networks are good at propping up opponents making them seem better then they actually are.

Just curious what you guys think, would Roy be a bigger star if he was in his prime now rather then when he was? He was a big star in his own right but he was always second fiddle to others even though his talents were far more flashy and unmatched at times. I think he would of been a mega star and I think his character everything happened just a bit early. What do you guys think?

Well Roy was in the era of alot other MEGA sports stars.
    Michael Jordan, Mike Tyson just to name a few.

But we also have to take into account SOCIAL MEDIA now, so it's possible.

One thing about it, he would be P4P Number 1, y'all musta forgot.

Comment

If Roy was in his prime now he'd be P4P #1

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
        If Roy was in his prime now he'd be P4P #1
        Not even close. Thsi guy was the best i have ever seen as far as skills. He took more chances too than Floyd. He also had more competiton form the Heavyweight division too. Floyd got big while the heavyweight division was in severe decline.

Comment

he would be p4p number 1 currently, people would see the difference between an all time great like roy versus someone like andre ward.

Comment

Roy in his prime was dangerous he was like a sugar ray leanord with crazy power

Comment

Originally posted by Cinci Champ View Post

Im watching some of Roy Jones Jr fights in his prime. Like im sure most of you I go on youtube and watch old fights all the time and I always end up watching Roy Jones jr fights. The reason I make this thread tho is in my opinion if Roy Jones Jr was in his prime now or even in the last 5 years or so that he would be the PPV king and even would have competed with Floyd for that spot. I think his appeal his style everything happened just a few years too early. Im not saying this because of the competition though now networks are good at propping up opponents making them seem better then they actually are.

Just curious what you guys think, would Roy be a bigger star if he was in his prime now rather then when he was? He was a big star in his own right but he was always second fiddle to others even though his talents were far more flashy and unmatched at times. I think he would of been a mega star and I think his character everything happened just a bit early. What do you guys think?
              He'd be undefeated from 160-175 and be the champ at 175.

you realize how special fighters are in their prime when their era passes....his prime was 15 years ago and i have yet to see anyone with a shot to beat him from 160-175

he was that good.

I think Ward because of his high ring IQ would give him the best fight.....he understands timing can negate speed....roy hs a way of handcuffing guys

Comment

Originally posted by Cinci Champ View Post

they tried their best to make oscar de la hoya the fighter of the era but he fell short in his biggest fights, and just flat out wasnt as good as Roy.

Oscar was a great fighter but never p4p #1 like Ring magazine tried to force down people throat

they did the same with chavez sr. who also was truly 2nd best to sweet pea whitaker. whitaker won more titles at more weights and was just a better fighter

Comment

The mold was broken when the boxing Gods gave us Roy. Nothing like him before and I seriously doubt we see anything like him again. There are a couple guys around that might make Roy work for a W, but I don't see anyone that I would pick to beat him. Roy would of excelled in any era in boxing history imo.

Comment

He'd be just as dominant as he was back in his day.

Comment

Working...
                    X