No announcement yet.

Burj Dubai Workers' Pay

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hank$Moody View Post
    Yeah I'm sure all those workers hated being employed.
    I think it was more a case of being exploited and being given terrible accommodation. But there you go. Life isn't too great for some people less fortunate.

Comment

I'll make sure to keep that little gem from you as a reference: ''Yeah I'm sure all those workers hated being employed.''

I'll use that as my defence if I'm ever brought to court for human rights violations. I'll stand up there and say I'm employing people, so they should be grateful. I bet I'd be popular as well.

Comment

Who cares about the pay, since they are being paid more than they would at their home country. The problem is the conditions. Working long hours in extremely heat with near 100% humidity

Dubai is not poor or broke. But I think the dream might be over

Comment

Saying that they're being paid more than they would be at home is no excuse for exploitation. That's serious work those fellas do, in very tough conditions. That sort of work is hard even at the best of times. Just because something happens in one country, it doesn't make it right in another country, even if the pay is a tiny bit more [still exceptionally low anyway]. If it wasn't for protests and people standing up for themselves, there would be no minimum wage or anything in our developed countries.

''Pay for the workers ranges from US$7.60 per day for a skilled carpenter, with labourers getting $4 per day.''

That's all they were getting for a hard day's work [and very dangerous work as well I'd imagine]. It was their housing they were complaining about, not the actual weather. They were being put into accommodation you wouldn't even put animals into.
          I'm by no means a guilt-trip merchant, as I don't like people like that myself. But it's hard not to to feel humbled when you read stories like this. Some of you fellas come on here and don't really have a clue. Saying things like who cares about pay, or they get more than they do at home etc.

Those are not words from men [or boys as the case may be] who have done a hard day's work in their lives. Either that or you live in your own little world where you don't care about the rest of the world [even if you at least show interest in the news].
          Last edited by paul750; 12-03-2009, 08:24 PM.

Comment

dubai is the craziest place you can find on earth

Comment

Originally posted by paul750 View Post
              I've just been reading about what some of the workers' were getting paid to build this thing [the tallest building in the world]. Apparently skilled workers were getting just over £4.00 per day, with labourers getting under £3.00 per day. It's no real surprise when you read stuff like this, as well all know about exploitation in sweatshops etc. These buildings may look magnificent, but to be built in such a manner is a disgrace.
              im sorry paul, and i say this with all due respect, but you couldnt be more wrong here...

its simple economics, supply and demand

apparently if there were better paying jobs elsewhere, they would take them... if the wages were unacceptable, they would work elsewhere... apparently there isnt a better situation to work in and this job is much better than the other options..

surely there's some other third world country citizens that would KILL to make that money...

so dont sit here and patronize them, they dont need you... they're just working like the rest of us

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

I'll not make a serious response to that as I addressed it in my last post. Two wrongs do not make a right, and exploitation is exploitation, no matter how it is wrapped up. I'm aware of simple economics. I think there's a lot of simple minds running around this forum, nevermind simple economics. No patronising here, just a reality check.

This is why I hardly ever post about anything remotely serious on this forum. All you get is know-it-all brats who are not in the least bit interested in having an adult discussion about anything, as they believe they know it all at whatever tender age they are.

Truly intelligent people with wisdom are a little bit like truly tough people: they don't show it or brag about it. It's the insecure people who do that; people who are not where they want to be. People like that are everywhere, but I must say the American brat seems to outnumber the others
                      The maturity level on this site is absolutely disgraceful. I'll always log on here as I still like parts of the site, but threads like these shall be made on another site where people actually discuss things like adults.

Comment

Working...
                      X