Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who was harder to hit,Jack Johnson or Muhammad Ali?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who was harder to hit,Jack Johnson or Muhammad Ali?

Were talking about both fighters in there Prime.

Many boxing experts claim Johnson was the best defensive Heavyweight fighter in history,and almost impossible to hit.He was great at picking off punches,while Muhammad Ali was the mosr elusive and also almost impossible to hit with a clean punch in his Prime.

Originally posted by boxing boy View Post

Many boxing experts claim Johnson was the best defensive Heavyweight fighter in history,and almost impossible to hit.He was great at picking off punches,while Muhammad Ali was the mosr elusive and also almost impossible to hit with a clean punch in his Prime.

I wish there was good quality tape on Johnson for me to give a definitive answer. I really don't know other than their defense was very different but effective.

Comment

Johnson was about as cautious as a man could and the rules were on his side. His opponents rarely landed punches on him but then again they rarely punched in combinations. A young Mike Tyson made the observation that Johnson would have problems dealing with combination punching. Ali in his prime was very hard to hit with any punch other than the left hook, but he was quite open for that particular punch.

Comment

When Ali had his legs, he was extremely difficult to hit. I'd choose him, although with more footage of Johnson I could possibly change my mind.

Comment

Difficult to gauge to be honest. Both were very elusive.

Comment

Ali had to deal with more combination-punching from his rivals than Johnson did, but the truth is the danger level of their opponents varied pretty wildly during their prime years. Johnson avoided his foremost challengers, while Ali was handicapped into fighting several lesser rivals as a result of sanctions steming from his Draft drama.

Comment

In all their primes Dempsey would have landed more on Johnson than on Ali.

Comment

Originally posted by boxing boy View Post

to be honest its impossible to rate how good johnson was from those grainy black and white clips

Comment

Ali had better defense, but Johnson was harder to hit overall because he fought more defensively and constantly would grab to stop the action.

Comment

Working...
                  X