No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: John Joe Nevin Building His Career in The States

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: John Joe Nevin Building His Career in The States

By Thomas Gerbasi - Back home in Mullingar, Ireland, practically everything John Joe Nevin does is front page news. In Philadelphia, he’s just another prizefighter trying to deal with the heat and humidity.

And he likes it; not the heat and humidity part, but the anonymity.

“When I walk out in the street, no one notices me over here,” he said. “When I go out at home, I can’t even look crooked because everyone knows where I’m at.”

A lot of people who have been in the public eye for any length of time eventually crave it. The 26-year-old Nevin, a two-time Olympian and 2012 Silver medalist in the London Games, has no such cravings for fame. The disciplined lad, who faces Victor Raul Capaceta on Tuesday at MCU Park in Brooklyn, New York, isn’t even craving Philly cheesesteaks as fight night approaches.

“No, no,” he laughs. “I’m looking after my weight.”

What Nevin does want these days is what every fighter wants – a world championship. He’s still young in the game, with a 3-0 (two knockouts) record, so fights like those against Capaceta are necessary at this point in his development, as are his regular trips to Philly. [Click Here To Read More]

What did he do to make his cousin break both his legs?

Comment

Originally posted by anonymous2.0 View Post
      What did he do to make his cousin break both his legs?
      He's born into a traveller family if your American think rednecks but even more violent and basically family squabbles to them almost leads to them sorting it out in bareknuckle boxing matches. It may just have been a random attack on Nevin but for some reason I remember hearing a story at the time about him refusing to fight in a bareknuckle fight so they broke his legs to ruin his career.

Comment

Well I guess they can say goodbye to any of that boxing money...

Comment

I believe he forgave the cousin afterwards.

Comment

Working...
          X