Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guillermo Rigondeaux Technical Discussion (I'm Putting You on the Spot)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingHippo View Post
    We should keep it southpaw since we're talking about a southpaw fighter.

I already clearly stated earlier why southpaws like Hagler, Whitaker and Wright were able to use the jab, because of their square stance. When Whitaker adopted a more conventional stance against De la Hoya, he got punished every time he tried to use it.

And the fact that Rigo keeps things simple actually works in his advantage.
    Combos and flashy angles are for the Khans and Pacquiaos of this world. Hell, by your definition, Emmanuel Augustus was a more complete fighter than Rigondeaux.
    There was nothing punishing about Whitaker-DLH, nothing. In fact the funniest part about all this is that many feel Whitaker won that fight based off his jab, true story.

My issue is, if keeping it simple is all Rigondeaux needs to do, then what is that a testament to when he's been hurt and dropped multiple times? It's unlike Wlad who kept it simple but mostly flawless during his reign.

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
      1. He hasn't faced the diverse range of styles that those fighters have had to face.

2. He hasn't shown the versatility those fighters have shown...like

a. The ability to throw punches from all ranges,

b. fight inside, outside, mid-range, off the ropes, front foot back, foot, etc. etc.

c. vary their offensive attack and mix up their combinations
      some woulda had more answers but some fighters that present some styles chose not to fight him at all...

with that being said, didn't he have like over 300 ams fights? So im sure he's seen plenty of styles there even tho you know theyre 4 rounders etc.

He just broke dudes jaw and ****ed amagasa up badly

he boring doe!

Comment

Originally posted by The Akbar One View Post
        You suggest Rigondeaux doesn't have a jab. He jabs to the body and head, but he also parries and interferes with the opponents rhythm with the jab hand.

Not likely. Speed, slickness, or good technical boxing always bothers those Mexicans. Barrera? Junior Jones was no Rigondeaux. Morales? Raheem, was no Rigondeaux. Marquez? John was no Rigondeaux. I'm just saying.
        Dude, and Rigondeaux isn't any of those dudes, entirely different styles, stances and size. What those Mexicans have in their possessions is more than a good enough arsenal to dismantle what Rigondeaux has shown. For me to see it any other way Rigondeaux would have to show me a lot more.

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post

The fighters I listed ate flush shots from stronger punchers than Donaire
          Stronger punchers is subjective. And which ones ate flush shots from a power puncher who outweighed them in the ring like Donaire outweighed Rigondeaux.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor_Tenma View Post
            Dude, and Rigondeaux isn't any of those dudes, entirely different styles, stances and size. What those Mexicans have in their possessions is more than a good enough arsenal to dismantle what Rigondeaux has shown. For me to see it any other way Rigondeaux would have to show me a lot more.
            Dude, you are right, Rigondeaux is better than Jones, John, and Raheem. He'd beat Morales even if Morales made him wear the pillow like Winning gloves which is the only reason that Morales won some of his fights.

Comment

I like Rigondeaux and I've been rooting for him, especially given his size but he hasn't shown much versatility in his career. Where as you see fighters who are reluctant to throw against him, I also see a Rigondeaux who hasn't shown that he's good enough to force them to initiate in the manner that Mayweather, Whitaker or even lesser fighters like Lara are able to. You can't say that he's a master at controlling distance whilst ignoring the fact that his jab isn't snapping heads back and forcing anything.

Comment

There was nothing punishing about Whitaker-DLH, nothing. In fact the funniest part about all this is that many feel Whitaker won that fight based off his jab, true story.

My issue is, if keeping it simple is all Rigondeaux needs to do, then what is that a testament to when he's been hurt and dropped multiple times? It's unlike Wlad who kept it simple but mostly flawless during his reign.
                Wlad never got dropped? Lol

I'm clearly wasting my time with you. Study the game please, some people in this thread, including op, have respectable opinions, but you're one of these people who don't just don't know what they're looking at but will never admit it.

In fact the funniest part about all this is that many feel Whitaker won that fight based off his jab, true story.

You just made that up.

Comment

I just think, if the 122 division had grown a pair, Rigondeaux would make believers out some haters here, the op doesn't mention why so many good fighters, ran or are running from the Cuban, and he is old already, agbeko was a throwing punching machine, right before he met GR in the ring, donaire knock Rigondeaux down breaking from a clinch, it showed how green the Cuban really was, amateurs don't hit breaking from the clinch, amagasa had over 20 lbs and way taller, he got him mad and went into deforming the Japanese face, he scared everyone in his weight class, and he is too small and old to move up, he is an amazing fighter that has been put on the black list of boxing, his crime, beat the $h1t out of a potential cash cow, st+ left gbp because fishnet mention a possible fight against the Jackal, mares went north, frampton and quigg just say no, so what do guys want?

Comment

Originally posted by KingHippo View Post
                    We should keep it southpaw since we're talking about a southpaw fighter.

I already clearly stated earlier why southpaws like Hagler, Whitaker and Wright were able to use the jab, because of their square stance. When Whitaker adopted a more conventional stance against De la Hoya, he got punished every time he tried to use it.
                    That's not true at all. The jab was Whitaker's most effective punch.

And the fact that Rigo keeps things simple actually works in his advantage. Combos and flashy angles are for the Khans and Pacquiaos of this world.
                    Why are we praising being one-dimensional and penalizing angles, combinations and variety? That's what separates the good boxers from the great ones. And Khan doesn't use angles. He attacks and retreats in straight lines. If anything he should be using angles.

Hell, by your definition, Emmanuel Augustus was a more complete fighter than Rigondeaux.
                    Stop it.

Comment

Originally posted by b00g13man View Post
                      He's not displayed (or had the opportunity to display) the range the ATGs and hall of famers he's compared to have against high level opposition. Same goes applies Loma.
                      This right here ^^^^^

Comment

Working...
                      X