Deontay Wilder: love him or hate him?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deontay Wilder: love him or hate him?

I've got mixed feelings about him.

On the one hand it's easy to hate him for all the common reasons (delusional and arrogant persona, entitlement attitude, avoidance of real threats etc), but at the same time I have to admit I really enjoy watching him fight. He might be flawed, but that's what makes his fights such a rollercoaster ride. Even against lower level fighters like Molina he still has a chance to be hurt.

But more than that I just really like the energy he brings to the ring. The shucking and jiving, the wild bursts of aggression, the willingness to go for the KO even when miles ahead on the cards. Sure, he's not doing it against anyone really great, but at some point does that really matter? We know he's not the top dog in the division, so I say let him keep fighting on in his little bubble against the Duhaupas and Szpilkas of the world if he delivers the entertainment.

What say you? Is he good for the division or a blight on it?
    I'm a fan
    37.74%
    I hate him, he's a cherry picker
    11.32%
    I find him exciting but dislike his attitude
    1.89%
    I like him but want him to fight better opp
    37.74%
    I don't care about him in any way
    11.32%

I used to be a Wilder hater but I've come to appreciate him. He stays active, doesn't get out of shape and is always ready to fight. We talk about his weak resume but he did win his belt in the ring. I thought Stiverne was gonna be to much for him. He needed those last two fights because he's still a project and needs rounds more than anything. He stepped it up with Glazkof, that didn't work but Szpilka isn't as bad as Molina and Duhaupas. He's willing to fight Povetkin and has said he'd travel to Russia to do it. I like the trash talk between him and Fury and they're actually good friends. His fights are exciting, that jump punch against Duhaupas was hilarious. I see a brutal KO in his future but it'll be fun to watch. Hopefully he gets past Szpilka and fights Povetkin.

Comment

I like him but definitely want to see him against top competition. I'd love to see him beat the top heavyweights

Comment

I don't see what he's done wrong.........yet.

They are negotiating the Povetkin fight and he wants to unify after. Unless someone is speculating about him ducking someone there is no reason to criticize...............,..... Yet.

Comment

He's gotta beat Povetkin to win over the fans.

I believe in him. He's got all the tools to wear down the tough Russian.

Comment

Originally posted by Fury4daWIN View Post

On the one hand it's easy to hate him for all the common reasons (delusional and arrogant persona, entitlement attitude, avoidance of real threats etc), but at the same time I have to admit I really enjoy watching him fight. He might be flawed, but that's what makes his fights such a rollercoaster ride. Even against lower level fighters like Molina he still has a chance to be hurt.

But more than that I just really like the energy he brings to the ring. The shucking and jiving, the wild bursts of aggression, the willingness to go for the KO even when miles ahead on the cards. Sure, he's not doing it against anyone really great, but at some point does that really matter? We know he's not the top dog in the division, so I say let him keep fighting on in his little bubble against the Duhaupas and Szpilkas of the world if he delivers the entertainment.

I feel the same way you do. I love watching him fight and absolutely love how he throws bombs in nearly every sequence. His attitude doesn't bother me much because I think it's more of a put on to try to sell himself more. I think he's great for the division.

Comment

He will do quite well until he fights a fighter who can keep his head enough to stay away from his right hand. Then he will get lit up...then, this being professional prize fighting, the blue print will be subsequently utilized by subsequent opponents and wilder will become a decent gate keeper with a reputation for catching guys who can't learn to deal with a one armed fighter with limited stamina, but decent athletascism.

this is my opinion.

Comment

His fights are amazing to watch. I've always been a huge fan of his. I like his up from nowhere story, the fact that the boxing establishment is always trying to discredit him and love to imagine them seething as he stands at the precipice of the HCOTW. His haters make me root for him that much more. He and Fury are me two favorite HWs

Comment

I think its hard not to have mixed feelings on a few levels with Deontay. He's got a completely manufactured record up til Bermane pretty much (I think you can say one or two guys had pulses before him, but not much more), but he's got some physical attributes that are gonna make him harder to beat for a lot of guys & potentially make for some interesting HW fights moving forward if all the right people keep winning.

From a overall POV, Wilder, Fury, Joshua, Parker & even some of the lesser known up & coming guys like Cassius Cheney, John Wesley Nofire, Stan Shaw, Oscar Rivas & hell even Trey Lippe (aka Tommy Morrison Jr) have helped revive my interest in the future of the HW division over the last several years. I feel like I was waiting for the end of Klitschko for a long ass time. Respect to Klitschko as you don't keep the title for as long as he did without being tremendously talented, but omg was he a boring ass person & more importable a boring ass boxer so buh bye.

Comment

He's by no means great but he's powerful enough and fragile enough to be involved in some exciting fights.

However, his head movement and balance are cringe worthy, Povetkin should have a field day with him. But I have a funny feeling Deontay might pull this off...

Comment

Working...
                    X