Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would B-Hop done well Against Hagler?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hagler couldn't track down sugar ray, would the same thing happen?

Comment

what relevance is that? hopkins is a poor mans marvin hagler.

Comment

Originally posted by Azteca
        what relevance is that? hopkins is a poor mans marvin hagler.

Wow...Marvin Hagler is one of my favorite fighters ever and I rank him as the greatest middleweight ever as well...but you're speaking in extremes.

Hopkins would have given ANY middleweight throughout history a serious run for their money. In his prime he was quick, strong, crafty, well schooled offensively/defensively, etc. Hopkins is about as tough as they come as well.

I'd take Hagler by close decision, but he'd have problems finding his mark early on. I can see Hopkins quick straight right/sneak right hand being a huge weapon against the southpaw Hagler. Both guys fought really well on the inside. Ultimately I think Haglers will would shine through and he'd take more of the late rounds, landing better punches down the stretch of the fight.

It would really be a pretty even fight though.

Comment

Originally posted by Heckler View Post
          Hagler couldn't track down sugar ray, would the same thing happen?
          - -Little Banty Mills Lane knocked him out the ring squallin' like a baby for his mama.

Marv didn't pick on Sissyboys though, but if the $ was there, let the tears commence!

Comment

Great match up frankly...

Im really drawing a blank lol. I mean Hopkins was a very technical fighter, and when he went against guys who had any weakness that way he could really exploit them.

Hagler fought at a time when fighters, generally speaking were technically more accomplished. You couldn't really find big swiss cheese holes in guys, even brawlers like Hamsho...

The common denominator I will use is Trinidad...I know Trinidad was smaller but lets look carefully at Trinidad as a puncher, and Hagler as a puncher. Hagler always had a fast work rate, skills to fight at all ranges, etc. Trinidad was perhaps a better pure puncher than Hagler, but once you got past that punch...

Hops had tendency to not be as spectacular when a guy could really be strong. I believe he beat Taylor in both fights, but he was a little defensive in the early going in those fights. This leads me to believe that Hagler would win. Hagler was strong and did not have gaps in his knowledge base, he could make Hopkins react defensively for most of the fight.

I believe that is what would happen.

Comment

I like Hagler a lot but I have to go with Hopkins.

I went back and watched some Hopkins fights from MW and the guy was darn good during his run there. It is hard for me to pick someone to definitively beat a seasoned MW Hopkins. Aside from Roy Jones Jr. of course.

Comment

i have to go with Hagler. Part of Hopkins game was dirty boxing and Hagler was no stranger to it. I think Hagler would wear down Hopkins in a tough fight with plenty of fouling..

Comment

Hagler in a tough fight with fouls. If memory serves Hopkins relied on fouling more than Hagler but Hagler would give it right back. I think that takes more away from Hopkins than Hagler. Hagler wears him down and wins on points.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                    Great match up frankly...

Im really drawing a blank lol. I mean Hopkins was a very technical fighter, and when he went against guys who had any weakness that way he could really exploit them.

Hagler fought at a time when fighters, generally speaking were technically more accomplished. You couldn't really find big swiss cheese holes in guys, even brawlers like Hamsho...

The common denominator I will use is Trinidad...I know Trinidad was smaller but lets look carefully at Trinidad as a puncher, and Hagler as a puncher. Hagler always had a fast work rate, skills to fight at all ranges, etc. Trinidad was perhaps a better pure puncher than Hagler, but once you got past that punch...

Hops had tendency to not be as spectacular when a guy could really be strong. I believe he beat Taylor in both fights, but he was a little defensive in the early going in those fights. This leads me to believe that Hagler would win. Hagler was strong and did not have gaps in his knowledge base, he could make Hopkins react defensively for most of the fight.

I believe that is what would happen.
                    Taylor is an interesting name to mention, because even though he is highly skilled I think Taylor lacked killer instinct or the meanness he needed to be able to use those skills to finish guys off. hagler is the opposite, he was like a shark that smells blood. i think hauler is meaner than Hopkins and finds a way to beat him, by fouls or a decision. it would be great fight to watch

Originally posted by TonyGe View Post
                    i have to go with Hagler. Part of Hopkins game was dirty boxing and Hagler was no stranger to it. I think Hagler would wear down Hopkins in a tough fight with plenty of fouling..

Comment

Originally posted by phallus View Post
                      Taylor is an interesting name to mention, because even though he is highly skilled I think Taylor lacked killer instinct or the meanness he needed to be able to use those skills to finish guys off. hagler is the opposite, he was like a shark that smells blood. i think hauler is meaner than Hopkins and finds a way to beat him, by fouls or a decision. it would be great fight to watch
                      Yeah... I would definitely pay to see this one!

Comment

Working...
                      X