No announcement yet.

Catch Weights: Should they be allowed?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Isaac Clarke View Post
    WW rules are 147 limit, having a limit of 144 isn't WW. If you want to weigh 144 that's fine by WW rules, having a limit for your opponent of 144 isn't. Sorry but you're a dunce.
    Floyd and Marquez was a catchweight fight you dunce there was a contract agreed upon by both parties.

and Floyd coming in @146 did not come at Welter weight limit.

Welterweight limit is 147 you dunce, Floyd came in one pound short of the limit

Dunce Dunce Dunce
    Last edited by Rath; 10-22-2015, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rath View Post
      Floyd and Marquez was a catchweight fight you dunce there was a contract agreed upon by both parties.
      It was a WW fight and Maweather made the WW limit. That's just fact. Dunce.

Comment

As people have said, if it's genuinely between two guys who are in different weight classes then fair enough.

But the likes of Canelo and Cotto are a joke. As far as i'm concerned 155-160 is MW. If you're fighting consistently at 155 or 156 or something then you are a middleweight so no excuses, fight Middleweights or give up the belt and go back to 154.

A guy like Canelo clearly can't make 154 comfortable enough anymore which is why he chooses to fight the weight he does. So in that sense he needs to accept he's a middleweight fighter and fight 'em or kill himself to make 154.

Technically fighting at MW (155) consistently and then saying you won't fight a guy who's 160 is making a mockery of the weight classes and sport. Like if Canelo doesn't wanna fight Golovkin that's fine, just admit it for what it is or go down to 154 and stay there and nobody will complain. Should he wins a MW belt, i hope he vacates if he's not willing to defend it honourably at the MW limit.

I'm not just pointing the finger at Canelo and Cotto here, it's my feeling right across the sport but these two are the worst offenders right now for failing to accept they're middleweights even though they fight within that weight class all the time now and fighting for the damn MW belt.

Comment

Originally posted by Isaac Clarke View Post
          It was a WW fight and Maweather made the WW limit. That's just fact. Dunce.
          it was a welter weight fight FACT

Floyd coming in @146 is not a welter weight limit FACT

147lbs is the welter weight limit FACt

Floyd came in one pound short of the welter weight limit FACT

Dunce Dunce Dunce
          Last edited by Rath; 10-22-2015, 10:52 AM.

Comment

there are weight classes for a reason.
            I don't like catchweights

Comment

Originally posted by Bozbay View Post
              We all know catch weights are used to gain or take away a weight advantage. Although I do not agree with them, I guess I am fine with a catch weight only 2 or so pounds away from the legitimate weight. Not 5+.

What do you guys think, should they be completely banned? Do they help make fights or discourage them?
              Not for title fights Pacquaios 150 and Floyds 152 to weaken the competition was a joke

Comment

Working...
              X