Collapse
No announcement yet.

would canelo have beaten paul williams?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Without question the answer to this is yes....williams was already on the down slide when him and canelo signed to fight.......

Comment

Originally posted by danceswithfire View Post
      had the fight happened? I really dont see it . what I think if the punisher was still around today he would've fought GGG already with no hesitation, probably would've retired the next day tho from GGG beatdown.

and if he canelo won , pwill would be the best fighter he would've fought right now not named Floyd.
      Not at the time the fight was supposed to happen. Noway. Williams was too tall, too busy and his hands were too quick. Plus he could take a punch, Sergio not withstanding.

Comment

I really do think that even that version of Williams would have tested Canelo even as late as 2014 when he fought Angulo. And when I see that he is still fighting 147 pounders I think he'd be competitive against a 2016 Canelo.

Angulo said he had to lose a bunch of weight, he was drained, depressed, and just a mess of a man at the time. Look at the ring walks to that fight, it was over before the bell rang. And even with Angulo being a zombie for a couple of rounds, he still somehow managed to get Canelo to suck wind and linger by the ropes in the 8-9th rounds. Even a diminished Williams would have been more lively than Angulo on that night I believe.

Too bad Canelo doesn't have this fight on his resume-i think we'd know him a lot more as as fighter had it happened.

Comment

The Punisher had problems with southpaws. (Which he himself was). Canelo is a decent fighter now. But the Punisher would have beaten him fairly easy then. The high workrate, stamina and length would have been too much for Canelo. To many angles, too many flurries and too much stamina.

Comment

Williams would've been in a another staring contest with the ring mat if he would've fought Canelo.

Comment

God Bless Paul Williams but I think Canelo would've knocked Paul Williams out! Paul Williams was a come forward fighter high work rate fighter who did not use much head movement. Canelo is a damn good counter puncher so I think Canelo would've picked him apart and eventually stopped him

Comment

I think Canelo would KO him. Williams was easy to hit clean. If Canelo can hit a guy right on the button a few times with his best punches he will win by KO unless that fighter has an iron jaw like GGG. Canelo hits harder than Martinez in my opinion. If it goes the distance Canelo still wins. Canelo edged out Lara. Lara easily and clearly beat Williams and got badly robbed. Williams was an unusual boxer because of his height and reach and his high punch volume. He is often overrated in my opinion because of these assets.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
                  The Punisher had problems with southpaws. (Which he himself was). Canelo is a decent fighter now. But the Punisher would have beaten him fairly easy then. The high workrate, stamina and length would have been too much for Canelo. To many angles, too many flurries and too much stamina.
                  It's good to see you back Bushbaby. You have been gone a while.

Comment

I think Alvarez was too green to win that fight. Maybe I'm giving that version of the Punisher too much credit, but he would have overwhelmed Alvarez, I think. Much like Trout almost did, but that was later and Alvarez had improved compared to when he would have fought Paul.

Comment

LOL Cmon. Quintana fight. Lara fight. Canelo probably knocks paul out.

Comment

Working...
                      X