No announcement yet.

Rib injury - recovery suggestions?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rib injury - recovery suggestions?

Hey any advice on speeding up recovery from a rib cartilege injury?

I'll have to stop sparring for a couple of weeks, it's too painful if I get hit on that side :-(

But what speeds up recovery further - heat? cold?
    What about nutrition, is there any type of food/supplement that helps these types of injuries to heal faster? (am already taking creatine)

I remember last time I had broken ribs, the doc told me to make sure I kept taking regular deep breaths, even though it hurt ... any advice/experience with this would be much appreciated

I don't want to just sit around putting on weight, but not sure if my normal cardio (skipping and cross-fit) is going to make it heal slower :-(

Cold is used to reduce swelling, so it really only works immediately after the injury. Usually within 20-30 minutes.

Heat is used for muscles, so it could help in relief but with ribs, it comes down to just resting.

Ribs injuries are annoying, I have had bruised ribs and it hurts to sneeze, get up, sit down, sleep, cough....it sucks.

Comment

Time.............thats what it takes simple as that. Do not rush back to spar and cause more problems to sensitive areas thats irresponsible!
      I know something about rib damage in a motorcycle accident in 1998 I broke and/or fracture all my ribs front and back except two in the lower left back!
      The pain was very really and a sneeze was enough to bring tears to my eyes!
      It was a long recover with only time as the healer!!!
      ( a year later I lost both "good ribs" when my kidney was removed!!!) thats life.
      Doc

Comment

You injured your rib and you're contemplating going out and doing cross-fit? Dude, chill out and let your body recover, it's the best thing you can do unless you want end up sidelined even longer.

Comment

Cool - have taken a break from all exercise, will slowly get back into it as I feel better
          Ibuprofen helps, but that's is just 'masking' the pain, so I only use it at night to let me sleep properly
          Once I am able to train again, am going to make sure I do as much 'pre-hab' as I can, to strengthen the surrounding muscles
          But that's a topic for another time...

Cheers guys

Comment

Working...
          X