Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why don't any boxers use this kind of stance anymore?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Biolink View Post
    B-hops stance is kind of the evolution of that. Left arm not extended as far, but still acts as a defensive barrier and his right hand is in a better position to catch the jab and especially the left hook.

Actually funny you should mention Bhops. If you look at that pic you have in your post and notice where his head is...he is taking a distance trick used by the ancients right out of the manuel. Its called a false fighting line. All fighters today tend to line the head up directly over the shoulders, Bhops does not. His head is back over a few degrees over his rear shoulder. This created a distance deception where one aims at the head and because it is farther back than it looks, they lose balance. Also by holding the head in this manner the foward shoulder protects the chin. look at pics of guys like Gans you will see the same trick being used, actually most of the old timers did this circa 1910 and after.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
      His right hand is not in a position to catch a jab. Nor is it in a position to throw a punch, nor is his arm in a position to block body shots. Its in no mans land
      Not really. All he has to do is parry it down with the right hand if Pulev decides to jab there. That's my guess as to what he was doing, and the camera man just shot him at the perfect time looking awkward.

Comment

Originally posted by SplitSecond View Post
        The stance doesn't add magical properties to your footwork, and sure the right hand might be ****ed(albiet there is more to throwing a punch correctly than the starting position of your arm), the jab is definitely not in the best place nor is it most mechanically correct, it's there more for pawing to cling/push down on an opponents own arm. The style they used was arm flailing, pushing style which we occasionally saw in George Foreman, and modernly Mayweather and his face pushing and Klitschko.
        It has nothng to do with pushing. It is the quickest way to hit the chin with a fist. Its the reason for an art like Wing Chun as well. Regarding the starting position of the arm, when one settles weight back and fourth one wants the weight to settle as the hit connects ideally. Some of this training was done with timing (Tempo) like a fencer, later it was more suitable to a punch. The footwork just helps the body settle weight in the right place at the right time.

Regarding flailing... pre modern Fighters often look horrendous when they are punching each other right in range. This is because the emphasis was setting up attacks, and quickly getting in and out of that range. Think of how a fighter today would look trying to set up an attack from sword's length away and greater, while the opponent was on the back leg....they would look equally silly.

oh...one more important point about the hand position: If you had to devise a way to hit your opponent in a similar position as you were in, with the shortest distance possible, and to do so withoug breaking your hand, you would look like one of the old timers. Heres why, first off, nature designed us as vulnerable when things come up at our body...If my hand is coming up I can catch your groin, your plexis, your chin/throat, your nose...However we are fully protected coming down. Hitting down on you I catch your forehead and little else.

This is because primates hit down, hence evolution protects us from things coming down at us....now punching with the hand up I am hitting up into vital areas and because of the angle of the lead position I am avoiding things like hard boney surfaces...the forehead particularly. If we are fighting and I let a piston like lead hand shot, hand held palm up, and settlw my weight so I can catch you hard....even if you put your head down, I won't break my hand on your forhead...if I hit down or straight with no glove....like with a turning jab and you put your head down I can break my hand.

Hope this makes sense
        Last edited by billeau2; 09-03-2015, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
          Actually funny you should mention Bhops. If you look at that pic you have in your post and notice where his head is...he is taking a distance trick used by the ancients right out of the manuel. Its called a false fighting line. All fighters today tend to line the head up directly over the shoulders, Bhops does not. His head is back over a few degrees over his rear shoulder. This created a distance deception where one aims at the head and because it is farther back than it looks, they lose balance. Also by holding the head in this manner the foward shoulder protects the chin. look at pics of guys like Gans you will see the same trick being used, actually most of the old timers did this circa 1910 and after.
          It sucks that they don't teach this anymore. The modern stance has your head right in a line and defensively it's way more reaction based whereas B-Hop's stance has built-in defense although you do have to be weary about being setup with left hooks.

Comment

Working...
          X