No announcement yet.

Some of your favorite fighters who never won championships

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

George Benton.

Can't believe I forgot one of my favourite fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
      I really like watching Howard Davis Jr and his speed. He came up short against Jim Watt and knockdowns lost it for him against Edwin Rosario in a close fight. With his background I'm surprised he never won a world title. I also admire a lot of the top heavyweights from the 70's like Quarry and Lyle who never won a title.

Yaqui Lopez deserves a mention too. He came close with Galindez and fought in a very tough era for light heavyweights.

After watching him in the Olympics, I thought Davis was a sure thing to win a world title. I'm sure I wasn't the only one.

Comment

Yep

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
        After watching him in the Olympics, I thought Davis was a sure thing to win a world title. I'm sure I wasn't the only one.
        I agree with you.

Have a funny story about Davis. I had a real good buddy who was a useful sparring partner when I boxed. He was 5'10" weighed 270 lbs and his favorite fighter was Howard Davis Jr! Go figure! But anyway, I really loved the guy & was rooting for Davis to win a championship just so my friend could have something in boxing to be happy about. (He was a notoriously bad picker of fights. He must have lost 80%-90% of every bet he made on who wins whatever fight).

Davis was going to fight Jim Watt and I remember buying my buddy a Burger King Whopper the day of the fight & telling him he's SURE going to be the King today!!

I kid you not. One of his other favorite fighters ever was Tyrone Everett. I gotta leave it there before I get myself in some kinda trouble here.....

Comment

Jose Medal.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry A View Post
            I agree with you.

Have a funny story about Davis. I had a real good buddy who was a useful sparring partner when I boxed. He was 5'10" weighed 270 lbs and his favorite fighter was Howard Davis Jr! Go figure! But anyway, I really loved the guy & was rooting for Davis to win a championship just so my friend could have something in boxing to be happy about. (He was a notoriously bad picker of fights. He must have lost 80%-90% of every bet he made on who wins whatever fight).

Davis was going to fight Jim Watt and I remember buying my buddy a Burger King Whopper the day of the fight & telling him he's SURE going to be the King today!!

I kid you not. One of his other favorite fighters ever was Tyrone Everett. I gotta leave it there before I get myself in some kinda trouble here.....

is that lingo for a 270 lb heavy bag with gloves and headgear?

thought of some more fighters who were enjoyable, never won world titles

edison miranda was in some great fights but was never of champion caliber
            his fight with pavlik was an absolute classic

i liked kirk johnson. it was nice to see a fighter on his toes in an era of flat footers

micky ward. you know how he rolls

yaqui lopez challenged for world titles at LHW 3 times and CW once, losing them all
            among others he was in two classics w/ matthew saad muhammad.
            his second, in '80, was the FOTY.
            he was a very solid contender n in any era, and i have no doubt he'd give a beating to jean pascal
            Last edited by New England; 05-29-2011, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Spot on New England!

Originally posted by New England View Post
              is that lingo for a 270 lb heavy bag with gloves and headgear?

Yes, he was basically a heavy bag with eye balls. But he always liked them fancy-dan-fleet-footed guys, ala James J. Corbett!

Comment

Jerry Quarry never won a world title either.

Comment

Working...
                X