Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to beat the shoulder roll

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People who due the shoulder roll always counter with lead rights or uppercuts Pac who is always stepping to his right would avoid those counters that is why people who lack quick foot work are chosen cause they are always standing in front of Floyd for the counter.You also have to be an arm puncher similar to Rocky Marcino cause if you keep pounding that shoulder it's possible to dislocate it but many fighters don't do this because they don't want to be classified as a dirty fighter

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky=Ward View Post
      cotto floyd round 8 seems to fit more with the thread to be honest. Honestly if cotto was more active like he was in that round he could have won the fight, but he gassed
      its so convenient how everyone gasses against Floyd. Everyone thinks Zab, Shane, and Cotto wouldve won if they didnt gas. Throw Oscar in there to. Floyd must be the luckiest fighter on earth

Comment

Originally posted by DLT View Post
        its so convenient how everyone gasses against Floyd. Everyone thinks Zab, Shane, and Cotto wouldve won if they didnt gas. Throw Oscar in there to. Floyd must be the luckiest fighter on earth
        Well you know Mayweather is one of the luckiest fighters in the world. When he's not ducking, cherry picking, retiring, he also has the ability to ensure all of his opponent gas right around the 7th or 8th round in his fights. Oh yeah, and while everyone is getting older and no longer in their prime, he doesn't get older or lose a step.

Comment

Who gives a **** about the roll. Solving the roll is far from being able to beat him.

Comment

Originally posted by black_celph View Post
            Theres a number of defenses americans use that will soon comeback.. Why is it when american fighters other than mayweatheruse the shoulder roll people start complaining.

no one complains when mexican fighters fight like each other???
            The thing is you get a bunch of Broners. Maybe not as many jerks or dickheads outside of the ring but I mean inside, they try to mimic them exactly. No one conforms the style to fight like themselves. They use it because it was successful for someone else, so they use it trying to be someone else. I'm not saying everyone who shoulder rolls is a Mayweather copy because I know he didn't invent the defense but it feels like I see more people trying to be Mayweather through that shoulder roll instead of just being a smarter fighter altogether. This could be subjective to my local boxing scene and such but it's happened on tv too.

Usually people's styles fit or accentuate who they are and if it doesn't then its really a matter of time until they get it.

To your Mexican comment, most Mexicans fight like one another. Is it monotonous? A little but that's what they're known for. They don't go around touting some individuality like the american society does. If you talk to any of them, they all say pretty much the same thing (which all boxers say about themselves anyway) about having heart, showing up to fight and being a warrior.
            Last edited by RightStraight; 01-02-2014, 01:11 PM.

Comment

There is no one specific way to beat "The Shoulder roll".

People have different tools, different abilities, different levels of skill and intelligence implemented to their style making it completey different to antoher fighter he uses the same or similar style.

Broner uses the shoulder roll, there's plenty of ways to beat "his" shoulder roll. He's shown that combination punching he will struggle with. Pauli, Rees, Maidana have all had success with simple combination punching.

That doesn't mean combination punching is the way to "Beat the shoulder roll" because not everyone he uses that style are the same with the same skills and ability. Other fighters who use that style have shown combination punching can be nullified with their use of that style, others can't. It's about ability not the style, that's been made clear numerous times - Berto, Broner etc.

Ian Napa used the shoulder roll, plenty ways to beat him.

Berto used it in his last 2 fights and he's lost both of those convincingly.

Alvarado used it and was stopped twice.

Just because Alvarado used it and got tagged and stopped by Rios and Ruslan doesn't mean that Ruslan and Rios would do the same to Mayweather, for example.

Just because Leonard had his way with Sr, doesn't automatically mean that's the way to beat that style because Sr isn't anywhere near as good as his son nor does he have the skill, talent or all round ability, or ring IQ.

The way to beat Mayweather (Not the Shoulder roll, Mayweather) IMO in his peak (05-07) would be a good, consistent solid jab, speed and unpredictability. That's how IMO you'd beat Mayweather or his "Shoulder roll".

Someone like Ray Leonard for example would give Mayweather a load of problems IMO, aswell as Ray Robinson and Tommy Hearns for examples.
              Last edited by IronDanHamza; 01-02-2014, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor_Tenma View Post
                The one thing Canelo should have taken from Cotto was stepping in with the jab, Canelo has a solid one but it's stepping in that allowed Cotto to neutralize the pull counter and make Mayweather think he was in comfortable range. As a fan of Canelo that was disappointing but I feel that he'll improve from that.
                I think Canelo nullified to pull counter pretty well. Extremly well actually.

You could see Floyd putting his feet into position to throw the counter and Canelo's feints and timing weren't allowing him to use it. Did he even land it once? I don't think he did.

Floyd landed it on Cotto quite a few times.

Comment

Floyd's success is more a result of leveraging his long reach and controlling the distance between himself and his opponent. He didnt go to the store and buy a box of shoulder roll.

Comment

Of course Manny can beat the shoulder roll, but can he beat the reach, the feet, the mind of Mayweather? I don't know. We don't know. Until they fight it's all speculation. Floyd does 10000 things besides the shoulder roll.

Comment

Originally posted by Japanese Boxing View Post
                      Of course Manny can beat the shoulder roll, but can he beat the reach, the feet, the mind of Mayweather? I don't know. We don't know. Until they fight it's all speculation. Floyd does 10000 things besides the shoulder roll.
                      The other thing is Floyd that fought Cotto was trained by his Uncle Roger, the Current Floyd is trained by Sr and he fights a bit different, he probably would've shut Cotto out all 12 rds if he fought Cotto the way he fights under his father.

Comment

Working...
                      X