Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marvin Hagler's Toughest Title Defense

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ray Seales second bout was a tuff draw and was a precurser to Leonard years later. Jimmy Owens was a good kid who fought Hagler tuff also and got a draw that some folks had Jimmy on top.
    Mikie Colbert was another guy who came to fight and got stopped late but won alot of rounds against Marvin.
    To me and I think to him Antuofermo was the tuffest fight, Vito was a huge pain in the azz for anyone to deal with. He was a beast, his corner was crazy, and the entire Vito group was looking for a fight hahahaha!!!
    His early losses to Seales and Monroe were tuff on him but thats how he developed the Philly in him. Yes Brockton was Petronelli's base but Hagler was born in Jersey (Trenton I think) and had a natural Philly fighting attitude!
    Leonard waited on him to get more millage and he also caught Hagler coming off a 13 month lay off and Hagler was not at his best. At his best I believe Hagler beats Leonard but Leonards speed of foot keeps him a safe distance while being able to score but not agressively over 15 rounds. I think people forget that Marvin was a very good boxer who pressed his opponents using boxing skills with a two handed attack. He wasn't super fast or had thunderous power but his high work rate and his full arsonal of shots were very tuff to deal with. Leonard was smart, as usually. He got his when he hung around to long. No one saw Hagler take beatings when he was passed his prime like Leonard took. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince Mongo View Post
      You are right both fighters were never the same. Mugabe was a LMW and Mickey Duff should have been setting up Ttle fihts in that division which I feel he would have dominated. Instead he jumped the gun and put him in with Hagler. Mugabe could have beaten pretty well everyone else, he could have had a fantastic career but that fight ruined him.
      Absolutely!.. Duff ruined him

Comment

Leonard, Duran and Mugabi.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
          Leonard waited on him to get more millage and he also caught Hagler coming off a 13 month lay off and Hagler was not at his best.

Could have been worse: could have caught him coming off a three year layoff.

Comment

Though it wasn't a defense, Vito Antuofermo 1. Vito was out gunned but displayed ATG heart. I thought Hagler won but Vito's effort was amazing.

Comment

Mugabi the beast

Comment

He pissed blood after the Mugabi fight.

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
                  Mugabi was his toughest defense, no doubt about it..
                  Never saw Hagler backed up as often, and with as much authority, he was in that one
                  The beast boxed and countered exceptionally, which no one expected him to do.. Least of all, Hagler.
                  It signalled the end of his prime, and neither he, or Mugabi, were ever as good again.
                  amen tadat!!! It seems that few people know that 'the beast' was an Olympic medalist who could do a lot more than just bang and knock people out............ Rockin'

Comment

Working...
                  X