No announcement yet.

we dont use the speed bag in our gym

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ivansmamma View Post
    In karate we don't use any bags, we just do the instant kill punches against air. You also can't try the punches on anyone in sparring because they would die. The main use of the punches are defense in case of a terrorist attack.

so no, my trainer don't recommend the speed bag.
    So where were you on 9/11?

You, sir, have failed us.

Comment

Like some of you have said. The speed bag is a tool used to develop rhythm and timing, as well improve hand and eye coordination but it’s also a great conditioning tool for you shoulders/upper extremities, which helps fighters to keep their hands up. More advanced boxers can also practice straight punches, hooks and upper cuts, and the speed bag can also be used as a slip bag. Check out the speed bag bible videos they will show you a variety of ways in which to use the speed bag. I've seen some so called trainers who don’t know how to use the speed bag and that is why they don’t teach their boxers.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
        Yeah, and you shouldn't use the jump rope either since you don't jump up and down in a fight.

Seriously, what is wrong with today's trainers? The speed bag is an essential piece of any fighter's training.
        I agree- just so long as someone doesn't think that the speedbag is what's going to make them Ali. Personally I find it perhaps the most "fun" bag to hit, so you just gotta be careful not to overdo it, there's more important stuff to do, but useless? No way.

Comment

the sad reality is you will see a lot more people (especially new people) working the speed bag over the dbl end. Why? the dbl end is a lot tougher to get good at. but it will help your hand/eye co ordination way better then a speed bag. Incorporates footwork in, slipping, angles. Anyone with a bit of due diligence can master a speed bag. It's one dimensional. A good warm up tool more then anything. Meh, maybe some conditioning but that can be found in many things.

Put it this way. Of all the bags at your gym...you had to remove one, which one would it be? If you say anything else but the speed bag, I think you've not a clue.

Comment

I'd remove the uppercut bag over the speed bag.

Comment

Originally posted by Domey View Post
              I'd remove the uppercut bag over the speed bag.
              if you mean one of those ******ed ones strapped to the wall...I'd probably agree. But haven't seen too many of those around. (do people use them?) The upside down tear dropped heavy bags are okay for uppercuts I guess. But mainly practice UC's on the mitts anyway.

But w/e...people like what they like...not looking for an argument. I just think the thing is seriously overused. because it is fun, and easy to learn.

Comment

Tear drop bag would be the upper cut bag.

Secondly it is easy sure if you just do basic stuff, but there are advanced things that you can do with it. I personally like throwing combos on it. I specially like working my hook off my jab with the speed bag. I can hook after a jab before it ever comes back and hits the front.

Also, as has been stated, it is also fun to work, and is very good as a warm up, cool down, or to work your shoulders and other muscles in your arm you normally do not work on a heavy bag.

I already posted an old image of me in another thread, but if you take a look at me when I was roughly 13 years old, and weighing 112 lbs, I was solid. It's worked for me, so I won't change it!

Comment

lol wtf

oh ya? well this is me at 13.

so there!

Comment

if the coach thinks its just for punching then he probly isnt teaching you what it is used for in boxing and if hes not teaching what its used for then its not incredibly helpful beyond head hunting and working your shoulders so its not really needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post
                      if the coach thinks its just for punching then he probly isnt teaching you what it is used for in boxing and if hes not teaching what its used for then its not incredibly helpful beyond head hunting and working your shoulders so its not really needed.
                      Yea our shoulders don't matter at all .........?

Comment

Working...
                      X