No announcement yet.

If Wlad dropped the WBO belt?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
    In my opinion paper titles mean nothing. Its the lineal title that counts. People already know Wlad is the true champ. A title cant define him unless it is negatively such as in this instance.
    Tyson is arguably best remembered for being undisputed. You might not think that is worth anything, but a lot of people do.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
      In my opinion paper titles mean nothing. Its the lineal title that counts. People already know Wlad is the true champ. A title cant define him unless it is negatively such as in this instance.
      Fans know he's the true champ because he's unified all the major paper titles (except the WBC) and then some. He's successfully defended all the titles multiple times and hasn't lost. He's done what many of the paper champs of the last 20 years have not been able to do

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
        Tyson is arguably best remembered for being undisputed. You might not think that is worth anything, but a lot of people do.
        With all due respect, show me which WBO heavyweight champion was regarded as the true champion besides Wlad. He doesnt need an org feeding him stiffs to be regarded as the champ, and i think histors bears that opinion out.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
          Fans know he's the true champ because he's unified all the major paper titles (except the WBC) and then some. He's successfully defended all the titles multiple times and hasn't lost. He's done what many of the paper champs of the last 20 years have not been able to do
          He's fought the best. Thats the difference between paper champion and the true champion. Allowing the WBO or any org to dictate otherwise just looks bad. I say this all the time...a champion makes the belt, the belt doesnt make the champion.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
            For years people (myself included) were clamoring for someone to unify the division and for all intents and purposes, Wlad has done that. He's got the WBO, WBA, IBF, IBO and Ring belts; and will make a run for the WBC belt once his brother retires.

In the late 90's to early-mid 2000's you had multiple titlists holding a piece of the hw crown. Ruiz, Valuev, Byrd, Brewster, et al frequently defended their titles, lost them only to regain them again. There was no 'real' hw champion and it really was a ****in' mess. With Wlad at least you have some certainty and clarity that he's the man or the real champ albeit however boring his fights can be.

Wlad isn't gonna drop the title; it means too much to him to be the 'unified hw champion.

That said, this title defense against Lepeai is ****in' weak. It seems like Wlad has avoided his IBF#1 mandatory Pulev to some degree. We'll see how it shakes out this year. If he fight Lepeai and then Pulev then I'll give him a pass.
            For the Pulev situation, it's difficult. Organisations hate unified champions as they have to make concessions for mandatories...as Wlad has already defeated his IBF mandatory in Thompson, the other organisations get their turn. I'm pretty sure the IBF will be enforcing Pulev (or whoever the mandatory is) the next time around

I wish theyd start unifying their rankings a bit more....unified mandatories make so much more sense

Comment

Originally posted by techliam View Post
              For the Pulev situation, it's difficult. Organisations hate unified champions as they have to make concessions for mandatories...as Wlad has already defeated his IBF mandatory in Thompson, the other organisations get their turn. I'm pretty sure the IBF will be enforcing Pulev (or whoever the mandatory is) the next time around

I wish theyd start unifying their rankings a bit more....unified mandatories make so much more sense
              The problem with this is it could be another year before we see a mndatory enforced. Granted im not up to date on the the different orgs policies for this.

Comment

It's not what he does outside of the ring or who he fights inside of it that engenders the ill-will that I feel towards Wladimir. It is how he fights once he's in there.

Comment

One time Wlad dropped the WBO belt. Vitali picked it up for him.

Comment

How are people too stupid to see that dropping the WBO belt would make it harder for Wlad to fight good contenders? Most of them are already avoiding him and another vacant belt would spawn another WBC situation. With Vitali set to retire Stiverne, Wilder, Jennngs, Arreola are ranked in the top 4 in the WBC with all of them aside from Stiverne having bought their ratings. The same would happen if he dropped the WBO belt with guys lke Fury, Haye, Jennings, Solis all avoiding Wlad trying to win a vacant title while proclaiming themself the HW Champion.

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                      The WBO isn't a major belt anyway so trashcan the worthless thing.
                      Not sure I agree with the "major belt" comment. A belt is only as good as the guy holding it, in the case of the heavyweight division the WBO belt is worth more than the WBC belt, because to win the WBO belt you'd have to beat the reigning heavyweight, unified champion of the world and the best heavyweight in the division. Where as the WBC looks like it's gonna be won by two guys fighting each other, neither as good as Wlad, for the vacant title.

Comment

Working...
                      X