Getting a really late start...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a really late start...

Hi.

I'm in my mid 50s, but I'm as fit as I've ever been. I visit the gym daily for weights and cardio. Been doing it for a few years. 5'9" 170 lbs. I've been taking boxing classes. I find that I like boxing - surprised me. It's a great workout, and I enjoy it. I haven't taken a lot of punches yet so maybe that will change, but for now I want more.

I don't even pretend to want to do anything other than recreational boxing. I know I'm way too old for the main stream. My problem is that I'm at a point where I need more one on one time with others who share the interest. Most people at my gym are content to punch the bag and spend a little bit of time on defense moves with minimal contact. I cant get enough. I'm having a tough time finding people for light sparring which is what I want. Not afraid to get hit, but not ready for maximum power. Wondering how others are solving this problem assuming I'm not the only one. I'm in San Diego.

Undisputed Gym in san Diego!
    Tell them exactly what your looking to do and explain carefull that your greener than green!!! You want to stick your toes in the water not get your feet wet! You can be a tool in any gym who maybe can work with green kids once you learn. having an adult your size can be an asset! I had two guys in my gym years ago who were strictly gym guys. One was a very good instructional guy and the other was a "gym fighter" who could have beaten up alot of very decent pros back then but he had no desire to fight for money. Alot of guys just won't make the commitment to the life style and atleast their honest about! They are essental pieces in a gym! go for it! Ray

Comment

Working...
    X