No announcement yet.

How is Boxing Not Broke?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How is Boxing Not Broke?

I mean, with all of the titles and so many disappointments over the years and especially as of late with exceptions in Vargas-Salido and Thurman-Porter(which itself was postponed and wasn't a classic, but still a good scrap), I think it's getting to be pretty demanding.

Boxing doesn't get much coverage compared to other sports in the United States anyway. I know the Brits make for raucous crowds, but I'm pretty sure they get raucous at any event, period. There are other countries with enthusiasm and of course, there is some in the U.S., but I don't know. I wonder about how many people are actually drawn enough to pay to see these fights live at the arenas.

It's just so watered down now. As a sport, I think it shoots itself in the foot more than any other. In the '80s and on back boxing was everywhere, especially on free TV. I know PBC is bringing some of that back but it's much different now. The A side guys feel they are too good and don't want to take a serious risk and just keep getting paid very high for low risk. I don't see how the promoters can afford this and plus four sanctioning bodies which all require fees to fight for those belts.

I don't know. What am I missing here? Is there a secret fund somewhere that allows boxing to act like the U.S. federal government and spend and spend with repercussions or am I totally off base here?

Idk man, I use to wonder that too when I'd see guys like Berto for example getting a million bucks to fight a bum in front of 2,000 people and bring in lousey ratings.

I just stopped caring and focusing on that stuff and only focus on the sport aspect of boxing and the fights being made.

Comment

Idk man, I use to wonder that too when I'd see guys like Berto for example getting a million bucks to fight a bum in front of 2,000 people and bring in lousey ratings.

I just stopped caring and focusing on that stuff and only focus on the sport aspect of boxing and the fights being made.

Comment

HBO and to a lesser extent Showtime shot themselves in the foot a long time ago. Especially HBO with their terrible presentation of Roy Jones. They paid the man millions to fight mid ranked opponents for years, didn't develop him as either a PPV star or encourage him to fight better opponents. he list of top fights he missed in the 90s is longer than the list of top fights he did have.

From then on, we've had Mayweather, Berto, Ward, possibly Canelo, a bunch of early 00s heavyweights all getting paid top dollar to not do much. Admittedly they managed to make a star out of Mayweather but that was largely thanks to Oscar and Mays new persona. All the others have either been has beens or faded/fading away.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post

Yeah, I usually focus on the sport aspect, too. I guess it just makes me wonder sometimes how some of these guys get paid what they do for taking on lousy opponents and somehow this actually makes money. Then again, how sure can any of us outsiders be of how these things really work?

Comment

It is a very unpopular, frustrating sport. The system is more than broken.

Comment

Budwiser, Just For Men Hair..., Corona and Tecate!

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
                Budwiser, Just For Men Hair..., Corona and Tecate!
                Haha. Excellent point!

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
                  HBO and to a lesser extent Showtime shot themselves in the foot a long time ago. Especially HBO with their terrible presentation of Roy Jones. They paid the man millions to fight mid ranked opponents for years, didn't develop him as either a PPV star or encourage him to fight better opponents. he list of top fights he missed in the 90s is longer than the list of top fights he did have.

From then on, we've had Mayweather, Berto, Ward, possibly Canelo, a bunch of early 00s heavyweights all getting paid top dollar to not do much. Admittedly they managed to make a star out of Mayweather but that was largely thanks to Oscar and Mays new persona. All the others have either been has beens or faded/fading away.
                  That does make sense. Still, though, after years of this, isn't it natural to think that ratings and the money are only going to go down? This has truly been a sport with more disappointing fights than fulfilling, as of late especially. I totally agree with the Roy Jones example. I remember in the '90s watching him fight one ordinary fighter after another. I think I tuned out after a while during that period since it just wasn't fun to watch him anymore. I mean, the whole playing basketball the day of the fight and wearing the microphone in the ring and such novelties had me thinking, 'Damn. They are really reaching here.' Ridiculous.

Comment

The so-called superbowl didn't attract potential fans, it actually turned them off. I could hear them say is that boxing? Just running and clinching? And he gets awarded the win for that, not to mention the hundreds and hundreds of millions of dollars? I knew it will be boring. I was against it and hoped it never happened.

Comment

Working...
                    X