Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How compatable are fast twitch muscle fibers and long distance running?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How compatable are fast twitch muscle fibers and long distance running?

Is it even worth squatting and dead lifting and olympic lifts if you are doing long distance running all the time?

I read that if both strength(or power) training and long distance work are combined the body ALWAYS favors adaption to endurance work, which means turning intermediate muscle fibers into behaving like slow twitch like fibers.

So since thats a fact is it even worth doing any weight exercises period?

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
    Is it even worth squatting and dead lifting and olympic lifts if you are doing long distance running all the time?

I read that if both strength(or power) training and long distance work are combined the body ALWAYS favors adaption to endurance work, which means turning intermediate muscle fibers into behaving like slow twitch like fibers.

So since thats a fact is it even worth doing any weight exercises period?
    You have to train all three of the bodies energy systems to be a boxer, alactic anaerobic, lactic anaerobic, and aerobic.

The aerobic is especially important because no matter what some bro-scientist or even narrow minded scientists says all energy is still aerobic. Your anaerobic systems are merely a storage of energy that was created aerobically.

The anaerobic energy systems are still replenished aerobically. When you are taking a break in the ring, or in the corner between rounds its the aerobic system that is working to restore your anaerobic reserves.

The better your aerobic metabolism the faster your anaerobic energy systems will recover allowing you to fight longer.

And dont worry about the mumbo jumbo of fast twitch turning into slow twitch. That doesn't ****ing happen its just bro-science bull****. A type II fast twitch can never become a type I slow twitch and vice versa.

Comment

Oh silly me periodisation is the answer, forgot about it learn t it a while ago.

So yes weights = good if used properly which most of teh time they arnt lol

Comment

Weight lifting is great for stabilization and posture, which to me is the most underrated path of development in boxing. It's not too significant as far as endurance goes, but it helps the foundation and nueromuscular functionality.

As far as endurance goes, there's three types of energy systems that are used for the long haul.

ATP-PC system - simplest and fastest system to engage. Occurs without the presence of oxygen. Primarily used for high intensity, short duration exercises (takes about 10-15 seconds to exhaust), but is always used upon the onset of activity.

Glycolysis - Takes place after ATP-PC due to the requirement of breaking down glucose or glycogen into gluceose-6-phosphate. End result is broken down glucose/glycogen turns into pyruvic acid (aerobic) or lactic acid (anaerobic). Takes about 30-50 seconds to exhaust)

Oxidative System - Follows Glycolysis. Has a few categories I don't feel like describing. The basic explanation of this system is that it uses substrates and O2 to generate ATP (energy).

If you've ever gone for a run and you feel that initial discomfort and that "second wind" feeling, that's just your body transitioning between energy systems.

Comment

I really like barbell or dumbbell metcons for boxing anaerobic conditioning at the end of a days lift.

Try doing

10 deadlifts
          10 bent over rows
          10 hang cleans
          10 push Press
          10 back squats

At a fast pace with just 135. See if you can get 5 sets with one minute's rest between sets.

Comment

Working...
          X