Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Jirov the most exciting Eastern European fighter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Khmelnytsky View Post
    Among retired fighters Jirov probably was the most exciting. Other boxers who deserve mention

Orzubek Nazarov
    Yuri Arbachakov
    Kostya Tszyu
    Andrzej Golota
    Dariuz Michalczewski
    Vadim Tokarev
    Aleksandr Zolkin
    Vic Darchinyan
    Nice calls on Nazarov and Arbachakov, I forgot all about them!

Not to familiar with Tokarev, but from my recollection Zolkin was ok to watch but really not up there with some of these other guys.

Comment

You can tell what my thoughts are on Jirov in my sig

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
      Nice calls on Nazarov and Arbachakov, I forgot all about them!

Not to familiar with Tokarev, but from my recollection Zolkin was ok to watch but really not up there with some of these other guys.
      6'5 southpaw, terrific combination puncher but was hittable with a very good chin and toughness made for entertaining fights. He was originally supposed to fight Bowe but got replaced by Golota who the promoters thought was more popular and had a bigger fan base. I honestly think Zolkin would have won against Bowe in 1996.

Tokarev was a CW 4th round.

Last edited by Khmelnytsky; 02-15-2013, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Khmelnytsky View Post
        You can tell what my thoughts are on Jirov in my sig

6'5 southpaw, terrific combination puncher but was hittable with a very good chin and toughness made for entertaining fights. He was originally supposed to fight Bowe but got replaced by Golota who the promoters thought was more popular and had a bigger fan base. I honestly think Zolkin would have won against Bowe in 1996.

Tokarev was a CW 4th round.

I'll check this stuff out later but thanks for posting it!

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
          Vic and Tszyu are not only the most exciting USSR fighters but also are 2 of the best

Why do you associate Tszyu with Australia? He moved there when he was like 22, same age as vic
          Admittedly a mistake on my part. It wasnt a conscious association I just think Australia when I think Tszyu.

Originally posted by apocalypto View Post
          He fights on the outside throwing pitty pat punches. Ass soon as some one gets close he hugs. He runs alot to to avoid punches. Hate the fact he has a great chin has great power but refuses to exchange and play it safe againts b or c level fighters
          He has a high punch output and a high stoppage rate and I disagree that he has great power. I think he punches hard because he's so large but I dont view him as a one punch KO kind of guy. A giant who stops most of his opponents, throws a lot of punches and has a great chin I find to be exciting.

Comment

Jirov was not only exciting but i think a little underrated too.

Tszyu would be a good pick.

I liked the Klitschkos earlier fight for excitement. Now i'm more an admirer of them and certainly their personalities.

Vitali-Lewis is still one of my favorite hw fights of the last 15 years.

If only someone could push them to fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Balls View Post

I liked the Klitschkos earlier fight for excitement. Now i'm more an admirer of them and certainly their personalities.

K also think Jirov is underrated. Would have loved for the Gomez fight to have materialized.

Comment

Co-sign. Every Wladimir Klitschko fight I watch I root for his opponent to push him to brink, make him uncomfortable, give 'em a little adversity to overcome.

I think David Price just might be that guy...

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
                  Co-sign. Every Wladimir Klitschko fight I watch I root for his opponent to push him to brink, make him uncomfortable, give 'em a little adversity to overcome.

I think David Price just might be that guy...
                  Price won't be ready for at least two years. By than the Klit fans will be calling Wlad old and saying he doesn't need to fight Price.

PS - Why is Wlad of all people being discussed in a thread about most exciting fighters?

Comment

True. They have it there way so much. It appears their fights are lacking luster. But the truth is just what you said...Nobody is pushing them to fight. I often wonder what a Tyson like opponent would do in a fight with them. Im not talking about height ...more so style. Fast pace heavy hitting with great head movement.
                    I could never wish nothing bad on guys like the Kits. In and out the ring they are admirable human beings. Got much respect for them...but in the same thought...i want someone to come in and bust them up and make them fight...as you put it.

Comment

I gotta go with the raging bull win or lose. The guy comes to fight and is exciting then the other guys on this list.

Comment

Working...
                      X