No announcement yet.

Where Does Camacho Rank In The All Time Puerto Rican List

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    Camacho was certainly a showman and nice to watch but his resume isn't too great let's be honest. It is good though, for sure.

I think there's definitely an argument for him to be in the HOF. I'd like to see him there.

But his resume pales in comparison to the likes of Ortiz, Gomez, Benitez, Trinidad and I don't think I'd rank him over DeJesus or Torres even.
    I think so. But just the fact that we're even discussing it says something about Camacho's career.

Hector lost most of his biggest fights. He has a couple of ATG scalps under his belt, but he beat them when they were pathetically washed-up.

In the end, "Macho" was a memorable character with amazing talent and ability, but he never quite reached the heights of "greatness".

Comment

He's not even near Benitez. Benitez is an ATG. Camacho is a boarderline HOF'er, IMO.

Ortiz, Benitez and Gomez are the only 3 ATG's to hail from Puerto Rico IMO and are the Top 3 from there by quite a margin.

Then there's Trinidad who's a boarderline ATG IMO.

Then a lot of the rest are arguable from the remaining Top 10.
      Solid post. I agree, word for word.

The top three are unassailable by any Puerto Rican fighter who's yet been born. I don't think "Tito's" an ATG, but it's certainly up for debate.

If you had a gun to your head, who would you put at #5, Dan?

Comment

Big LOL @ people putting Cotto ahead of Camacho. Seriously!?!?!

Beating old Duran and Leonard ****s on everything Cotto has done. Now add his other victories....FATALITY! Damn teenagers.

Comment

Originally posted by Exciterx24 View Post
          I think he is a surefire HOF and that's not because he just passed and I'm high on him. I have always felt he had ATG skills but was severely underrated because of his attitude and behavior.

His wins include Limón, Chapo, Ramírez (who was very similar to Chávez back in 1985), Boza Edwards, Mancini, and Pazienza. I would say his resume is slightly better than Benítez', who beat Cervantes, Palomino, Hope, and Durán. The Durán win is better than any win on Camacho's record but, overall, I am more impressed by Camacho's. To me, Gómez and Trinidad have better resumes as my list already reflected.
          Look at the difference between those wins you listed.

Cervantes - HOF'er
          Palomino - HOF'er
          Duran - ATG

Then Camcho has, Boza Edwards. Who, let's face it, as incredibly exciting as he was is the bottom of the barrel HOF'er.

It's night and day IMO. Benitez is clearly greater than Camacho.

Add the fact his win over Cervantes at 17 years of age is one of, if not the most impressive feat in the history of Boxing.

Camacho does have an underrated resume though.

Comment

Look at the difference between those wins you listed.

Cervantes - HOF'er
            Palomino - HOF'er
            Duran - ATG

Then Camcho has, Boza Edwards. Who, let's face it, as incredibly exciting as he was is the bottom of the barrel HOF'er.

It's night and day IMO. Benitez is clearly greater than Camacho.

Add the fact his win over Cervantes at 17 years of age is one of, if not the most impressive feat in the history of Boxing.

Camacho does have an underrated resume though.
            I agree that Benítez has some high quality wins and the Durán win alone is monumental, not only because he won but because he dominated Durán with his boxing. I just think Camacho had a more consistent career than Benítez. It all evens out in my eyes. That's why I have them tied as #3a and #3b.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
              Solid post. I agree, word for word.

The top three are unassailable by any Puerto Rican fighter who's yet been born. I don't think "Tito's" an ATG, but it's certainly up for debate.

If you had a gun to your head, who would you put at #5, Dan?
              Off the top of my head, probably DeJesus.

Comment

Originally posted by Exciterx24 View Post
                I agree that Benítez has some high quality wins and the Durán win alone is monumental, not only because he won but because he dominated Durán with his boxing. I just think Camacho had a more consistent career than Benítez. It all evens out in my eyes. That's why I have them tied as #3a and #3b.
                Consistency I suppose. As Benitez prime was short, but sweet.

But what Benitez did in his prime blows Camacho's entire career completely out the water.

What about Ortiz though? Where is he on your list?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
                  Big LOL @ people putting Cotto ahead of Camacho. Seriously!?!?!

Beating old Duran and Leonard ****s on everything Cotto has done. Now add his other victories....FATALITY! Damn teenagers.
                  Those are some gaudy names to have on your resume, to be sure. But Duran was 45 and 50 when the lost to Camacho, well past it in every regard. Leonard was about to turn 41 when he was beaten by "Macho". But Ray hadn't fought in six years, and he had lost his last bout before that to Terry Norris.

I'm not saying Cotto belongs above Hector, but I disagree with that particular assertion.

Comment

Consistency I suppose. As Benitez prime was short, but sweet.

But what Benitez did in his prime blows Camacho's entire career completely out the water.

What about Ortiz though? Where is he on your list?
                    Fair enough. I would say, probably the 6th or 7th spot could be for Ortiz. Then I would have to put others like Vázquez and Calderón. Vázquez has an argument for the 6th spot and I might even drop Cotto from the top 5 after all. It's tougher after that. I just have my top 4 well decided. The rest would take some more thought.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
                      Those are some gaudy names to have on your resume, to be sure. But Duran was 45 and 50 when the lost to Camacho, well past it in every regard. Leonard was about to turn 41 when he was beaten by "Macho". But Ray hadn't fought in six years, and he had lost his last bout before that to Terry Norris.

I'm not saying Cotto belongs above Hector, but I disagree with that particular assertion.
                      Yeah, I would probably have Camacho above Cotto, as it stands.

But, not because of those worthless wins.

Comment

Working...
                      X