No announcement yet.

Do you drink protein shakes? ...how many a day

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you drink protein shakes? ...how many a day

Do you guys believe as boxers doing intense workouts, we need a gram of protein per body weight every day?

I find it almost impossible to get that amount in my regular diet, consisting of egg whites and meat...and i drink a 28g protein shake only right after my gym sessions

should i be downing these shakes 3-4times a day just to get 160grams of protein a day?

what do yall do..

Originally posted by Journeyman View Post
    Do you guys believe as boxers doing intense workouts, we need a gram of protein per body weight every day?

I find it almost impossible to get that amount in my regular diet, consisting of egg whites and meat...and i drink a 28g protein shake only right after my gym sessions

should i be downing these shakes 3-4times a day just to get 160grams of protein a day?

what do yall do..
    I dont feel for boxing u need that much.

I take 3 a day (40g a time) one as soon as i wake up, another after a gym session and another before bed (casien protein at night)

Im doing alot of weights right now though, for boxing only i wouldnt get hung up on it just take what u can and dont force it

Comment

Personally I dont like taking protein more than once a day, I dont like too much sweet stuff and taking all those grams of a powder with ingrediens created in a lab is already not the best option for the body. I take one scoop of protein(20g) and blend it with milk and fruit after the gym/excercises so I can get some help recovering over night. Im not a weigh lifter.
      Last edited by TheMelvern; 12-10-2011, 04:20 AM.

Comment

ook thanks..

the main thing im concerned about is burning muscle off, because some intense gym sessions can last over 3 hours and i sweat buckets

i just feel like im maybe too thin with no muscle on my frame

is it bad to take in more protein than i need? ..cause unlike carbs, whatevers unused doesnt turn into fat right..

Comment

I find I get headaches when I try to force THAT much protein down. I love steak and eggs and protein-filled stuff so I naturally consume a lot of protein anyway but when I try to push it with the protein I don't feel so good.

I'm a solid 210 pounds and I find that 120-150 grams of protein is a good day of protein intake for me.

Comment

Forget about the numbers, go with how you feel and observe how your body responds over weeks and months. The protein you get from shakes doesn't go nearly as far as animal protein, so just take the shakes when you need something that digests quickly and easily (before and after w/o, etc).

Comment

alright thanks for yall advice

Comment

I have a protein powder and water shake - if that helps.

But yeah, protein, especially as you get up in years, is extremely important. From what I understand you need to get it in your system about ten minutes after your work-out.

Comment

I take in about 2 a day. Once before work out, ( YES BEFORE) and one right before BED.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy Horton View Post
                    I have a protein powder and water shake - if that helps.

But yeah, protein, especially as you get up in years, is extremely important. From what I understand you need to get it in your system about ten minutes after your work-out.
                    No.

Meal timing is largely irrelevant. Its all about your overall macronutrient intake levels per day, basically fat and protein.

I have WPI powder, but I don't drink it in shakes, I use it in pancakes and cakes. Food >>>> Liquid.

Comment

Working...
                    X