Comments Thread For: Merchant: Mayweather-Pacquiao is More Like Lewis-Tyson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The most significant fights of all-time were:

1. Louis vs Schmelling II - this was a prelude to WWII

2. Ali vs Frazier I - two undefeated heavyweight champions, both with claims to the title

3. Mayweather vs Pacquiao - number 1 and number 2 pound for pound fighting each other. Their ages don't matter. They are 1 and 2 and they are deciding it in the ring.

4. Ali vs Frazier III - wasn't that big pre-fight because Frazier was past it but when they fight happened it became the GOAT fight.

5. Leonard vs Hagler - years in the making but Leonard wasn't in the top 10 pound for pound and Hagler was in the top five. It was Fight of the Year in 1987

I shouldn't really include Ali Frazier 3 because it wasn't that big pre-fight but it was considered the greatest fight ever after the fact. Based on pre-fight significance, the following could replace Ali-Frazier III: Johnson vs Jeffries, Dempsey vs Tunney I, Chavez vs Whitaker ( they were number 1 and 2 p4p when they fought but somehow it wasn't even PPV - huge within boxing but no cultural impact like Pac/Floyd)

Comment

Originally posted by ChicoEscuelaNYC View Post
      Tyson put up one good round against Lennox and took a beating the rest of the fight.
      I was working at domino's pizza as a driver. I went to someone house for a delivery and all I saw was the K.O.

Comment

Floyd pac is like floyd pac.

Cant wait!

Comment

Can anybody remember when 2 fighters were past their prime and still p4p fighters fighting each other?

Comment

This fight is still interesting because Pac is still one of the best in the world and credit must be given to Pac for coming back after being ko'ed. Because lets face it, we thought Pac and Floyd was history after that. Its still relevant as they are both genuinely probably 1 and 2 in the world still

But its not going to be as big because it should have happened when both were on fire 5 years ago. Pac being ko'ed first by JMM takes the shine off for Floyd as well. Because even if Floyd does win now, so what JMM beat him before you.

BUt its still the biggest fight in the world that can be made right now, so you cant do more than that really.
            Last edited by hugh grant; 03-01-2015, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Probably not in their prime but it doesn't really matter since younger boxers are having a hard time trying to beat theses two guys every time they step in the ring with them. Floyd and Pac are two proven fighters unlike other boxing greats, these two oldies are still 1 and 2 and that's what makes this fight significant.

Comment

Originally posted by CTC JOHNNY View Post
                Larry Merchant opinion on the Sweet Science is He never fought a day in his life!! He isn't respected by the fighters are the old school trainers!! #FACT
                Get yer azz back to training Floydie.... else Pac will really lay you out.
                HA

Comment

merchant is right, as usual

Comment

I think it actually beats fights from the 80's on terms of anticipation only because it was so hyped, then the air got let out so many times....now that it is really going to happen and smash every record, I think as far as anticipation only, you at least have to go back to Hagler-Leonard.....but even on that fight, most people thought it wasn't going to be much of a fight....

They are still largely considered active 1&2 and interest on anything else on boxing is absent by comparison. Tyson-Spinks was in 1986...so despite the hype for Hagler-Leonard...they still shared headlines...

I think you have to go back to Ali-Frazier 1 for sheer anticipation, 1 vs 2 interest where no other story in boxing matters to the general public....not saying it's the best two fighters to share a ring since then, just the single biggest event in boxing since then....

Comment

Ok Merchant~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                      X