No announcement yet.

CBZ recognizes Pacquiao's lineage at WW

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by larrys.o.g View Post
    Yea they are talking lineal..even if we bring in world titles WBO is still not on par with the history here...WBO is the only world title he won at 147
    True, guess I joined the conversation too late.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
      Oh yeah not trying to crap on his resume at all. Its amazing.

I edited my post above to say that if i was boxings president, I'd have had no.1 spot vacant (to be filled by Pac vs Tim winner) and no.2 spot to be filled by Thurman Porter winner. Fight between two winners would be a legit lineal title I reckon.
      Yeah but its what I mean, your 'legit lineal title' is what a consensus no.1 fighter is and should be. At that point, lineal doesn't even matter - this guy is the champion. In reality, a lineal title can never fully recognise that. Its highly flawed, and far too many people take 'lineal' at face value alone, sadly.

You only really need to look at Stevenson and Canelo now to confirm that. In my view, there should be respected top-10 rankings that disregard all form of championship. TBRB is fine, but it assumes a 'lineal' champion is at the top of the division, when its not always the case

Comment

Originally posted by techliam View Post
        Well the lineal title is just a title like any other. I think people put way too much emphasis on it - it can be illegitimate or worthless just like any other ABC title. The most impressive thing about Pacquiao's achievement though, in all 5 weights he was the no.1 fighter by consensus.

You said it yourself, its not the be all or end all
        Lineal title is considered more prestigious than the others but it would have been more legit if the other top welters matched up than the winner go against Pac and if Pac wins then it would been proper.
        But I doubt any other current active WW would beat Pac, some say Thurman might but I doubt it because he struggled against Guerrero.

Comment

Originally posted by Pigeons View Post
          http://www.cyberboxingzone.com/boxing/welter.htm

Bow down to Manny Pacquiao.

Other potential lineages that could start in 2016:
          DeGale-Jack at 168 (currently 1-2 with the RING and 1-3 with TBRB, but could be 1-2 after their fights in April)
          Crawford-Postol at 140
          Zlaticanin-Linares at 135
          Those 3 fights are all pretty good lineal fights. Some bodies (eg TBRB) recognize Ramirez as #2 after his win over Abraham though.

Comment

Originally posted by BrometheusBob. View Post
            Those 3 fights are all pretty good lineal fights. Some bodies (eg TBRB) recognize Ramirez as #2 after his win over Abraham though.
            I think if Jack scores an impressive win over Bute, TBRB will put him in at #2. They said Ramirez won out by only 3 votes last week.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan7819 View Post
              Lineal title is considered more prestigious than the others but it would have been more legit if the other top welters matched up than the winner go against Pac and if Pac wins then it would been proper.
              But I doubt any other current active WW would beat Pac, some say Thurman might but I doubt it because he struggled against Guerrero.
              See, this is looking at a title's face value alone. 'Prestige' is another way of saying unwarranted credit

Looking at the situation critically, you have to look at the fighter, not the title. If acquiring the title meant you had to be the consensus best, then you could perhaps use face value. But we know that its not like that.

The lineal title is more prestigious when the fighter makes it so. Canelo and Stevenson's titles show situations where the title is irrelevant. You could argue the lineal title usually has better titleholders than ABC championships, but theres far too many cases otherwise to say its a matter of fact

Comment

Originally posted by larrys.o.g View Post
                well Floyd is a 12 time champion in 5 divisions(the most ever i think) and a 5 time lineal champion in 4 divisions..not bad..these 2 are special fighters
                It will be a long time before another fighter even comes close to Floyd or Manny's accomplishments.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy Wanker View Post
                  It will be a long time before another fighter even comes close to Floyd or Manny's accomplishments.
                  If nothing else fighters are taking a long time to reach the top level.

Most are mid 20's by the time the are stepping up.

Floyd and Manny were winning titles in their early 20's IIRC. Not only gives them time to have great careers, but also means they can win titles across multiple divisions as their body fills out

Comment

Working...
                  X