No announcement yet.

This Talk of Fighters Having "Balls"...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
    Leave it to the Brit to complain about fighters actually wanting to fight the best and biggest threats
    I'm not complaining about anything the fighters do. They're all doing what's in their best interests.

Fans that romanticise about certain fighters just because they aren't as famous as others get on my **** though.

Horrific bums like Gregorz Proska are forced to fight guys like Golovkin because that's their ceiling. Their ultimate. A 6 figure payday on primetime HBO is something that sausage vendors like Proksa can't refuse.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
      I'm not complaining about anything the fighters do. They're all doing what's in their best interests.

Fans that romanticise about certain fighters just because they aren't as famous as others get on my **** though.

Horrific bums like Gregorz Proska are forced to fight guys like Golovkin because that's their ceiling. Their ultimate. A 6 figure payday on primetime HBO is something that sausage vendors like Proksa can't refuse.
      People romanticise certain fighters because they continually want the best out there, even if they lose. Others take the path most traveled and fight the Salkas of the boxing world instead, over and over

I'll take the mediocre fighters challenging themselves over the top guys choosing 90th ranked guys 2 divisions lower.

You don't think roman or Yaegahi could stay at home and fight the Ron Salkas if their division and make bank? Get real. They choose this fight, they weren't forced. Nobody is forced into any fight.

Comment

Those idiots, who do they think they are, wanting the best out there, what kind of person can respect that kind of behavior
        Their attitude is about making the most money they can. That's what all fighters do. I admire Brandon Rios for telling the truth when he was asked the question. People were going on about how much "ballz" he had for taking Diego Chaves as a comeback fight. And he was like, "Fuk that ****, I'd rather be fighting the dude they got Danny Garcia fighting". That's what I respect. Honesty. Not false bravado.

I don't automatically respect Keith Thurman any more than I do Danny Garcia. I praise and/or criticise them on a case by case basis.

Comment

Their attitude is about making the most money they can. That's what all fighters do. I admire Brandon Rios for telling the truth when he was asked the question. People were going on about how much "ballz" he had for taking Diego Chaves as a comeback fight. And he was like, "Fuk that ****, I'd rather be fighting the dude they got Danny Garcia fighting". That's what I respect. Honesty. Not false bravado.

I don't automatically respect Keith Thurman any more than I do Danny Garcia. I praise and/or criticise them on a case by case basis.
          If fighters were about making the most money, they would take the biggest challenges because they usually bring the highest paydays. Hell Quillin just dropped his belt and 1.4 mil against an average guy. And this was a guy who claims "if the money's right" all day long. Roc nation called his bluff real quick. Its not all about money

Comment

If fighters were about making the most money, they would take the biggest challenges because they usually bring the highest paydays. Hell Quillin just dropped his belt and 1.4 mil against an average guy. And this was a guy who claims "if the money's right" all day long. Roc nation called his bluff real quick. Its not all about money
            Yeah and that's exactly why that Japanese kid fought Gonzalez. Actually I hear it was a mandatory, so it didn't exactly take "ballz" to fight someone you have to fight and who is the only relevant name around your weight class....

I want to see what Quillin's reasoning is and what he does next. That move looks blatantly ******ed though. There are of course exceptions to every rule.

Comment

what about bernard hopkins choosing to fight sergey kovalev? he's already rich, he didn't need to take this fight

Comment

There are many kinds of balls.

Comment

Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
                  what about bernard hopkins choosing to fight sergey kovalev? he's already rich, he didn't need to take this fight
                  I commend him for that to an extent. The fact that Borehard is still fighting at 50 is admirable. I personally think he sees Kovalev as an easier fight than Stevenson.

Comment

For some fighters no amount of money will convince them to take on a certain opponents. They just don't believe in themselves.

Comment

There's also no extra bravery involved in taking risky fights if that's what you HAVE TO DO.

One guy said to me yesterday that Lucas Matthysse is taking on killers (which he isn't really). Duh....Matthysse LOST to Garcia, he's at the bottom of the barrel. He has to take extra risks and do something to become relevant again.

Another one is Thurman. No one knows who the kid is. Of course he's calling out the world. But you can bet your bottom dollar, if he ever gets on top, he'll start choosing his fights too.

It's already happened with Golovkin and his reluctance to fight Andre Ward.
                      I'm not even sure it takes more bravery to be a fighter than it does for dozens of other jobs. Most of these guys chose fighting professionally because it's something they were good at in the first place. The bottom of the barrel fighters show more bravery than any 10 stars combined. They know they're likely to get their asses kicked every time and show up for their paycheck, that's true bravery. Showing up and and beating up a guy you were supposed to for 10s of thousands of dollars, or more, is great business but its hardly brave.

Comment

Working...
                      X