Running time and distance.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
    what he said.

I don't know if he is a 'trolling ass' or not but he's right on target.

As an amateur, you don't need long miles like 5 a day. Pro fighters do that for endurance, sure you need endurance too, but not to that level. Figure one of your fights lasts at the most 6 minutes. For a pro that is only 2 rounds of boxing for him, therefore the long miles for endurance.

You need to train to be explosive, not so much in power but more so in quantity and speed. Interval sprints are great for building you to fight in flurries and to recover quickly so that you're right there and ready to take yourself a 2nd or 3rd helping if the offering is there.

Do this. Go to a regulation 1/4 mile track. Do your thing to get yourself ready to work and then take a walk around the track. When you do a lap walk that first corner again and then once you touch the 100m line you bust out running as fast as you can. Cross the 100m line a the end of the straight and walk the corner. Hit the next 100m line bust out running as fast as you can and then repeat.

See how you fare at 6 sprints per session to begin. If you want to time yourself than time your 100m sprints. 3 laps around the track running the straights, walking the corners.

Leave the long miles for maybe Saturday or sunday (make sure to have an off day where you just go out and walk abit.), other than that stick to the sprints.

You need endurance yes, but not like the pros need endurance.

When you start handling 6 sprints well let us know.
    I've done this but I've done sprinting the straightaways and jogging the curves. But obviously my sprints would be faster if I walked the curves. Do you find one method superior to the other?

Also, to persuade you to answer this question, here's this cat:

Comment

Originally posted by msagrain View Post
      I don't even run anymore, but I managed 5 miles yesterday and it took me 35 minutes. It used to be to be a lot faster.

I'm pretty sure I could do 3 miles in 18 mins, if I was fresh and pushed myself but weight training makes me lethargic.

I think a combination of sprints, interval training, hill running/sprints and a variety of distance running at different paces/distances is beneficial.
      I'm calling you out on your

You're not physically built to sustain that amount of glycogen for extended periods of time, I doubt you could even run 3 miles in 18 minutes with that physique.

Comment

Working...
      X