Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is considered the biggest match in Boxing history?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No it was mostly important to Louis. I think the BIGGEST match in terms of effect was the fight between Jack Johnson and Jim Jeffries. It was the world famous writer jack London who cointed the term "white hope" and encouraged the search, and they dragged poor Jeffries out of comfortable retirement, made him lose over 200lbs in 6 months, and got him half killed.

There were riots all over the boxing world, PARTICULARLY in the US, where about 15 or more black people were actually killed, and thousands injured. This fight caused the US Government to become actively involved in getting rid of Johnson, and they trumped up the infamous "Mann Act, so as to be able to charge him with bringing a woman across a State line.

He was forced t0 skip bail escaping through Canada, but after about 6-7 years gave himself up and did a year in jail.

Comment

Ali Frazier I

Comment

Originally posted by edgarg View Post
        No it was mostly important to Louis. I think the BIGGEST match in terms of effect was the fight between Jack Johnson and Jim Jeffries. It was the world famous writer jack London who cointed the term "white hope" and encouraged the search, and they dragged poor Jeffries out of comfortable retirement, made him lose over 200lbs in 6 months, and got him half killed.

There were riots all over the boxing world, PARTICULARLY in the US, where about 15 or more black people were actually killed, and thousands injured. This fight caused the US Government to become actively involved in getting rid of Johnson, and they trumped up the infamous "Mann Act, so as to be able to charge him with bringing a woman across a State line.

He was forced t0 skip bail escaping through Canada, but after about 6-7 years gave himself up and did a year in jail.
        Typo, I mean 100 lbs. Because of this Johnson thing no other black fighter got a chance to fight for the title until Joe louis did, 30 years after Johnson won his title.

A disgusting never to be erased disgrace, and a blot (along with many others) on the US justice system.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayweather41-0 View Post
          What is considered the biggest match in Boxing history?
          First encounter between Ali and Frazier should definitely be on the list.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
            Ali Frazier I
            Yep. It's between Johnson-Jeffries and Frazier-Ali I. I don't think any other fights has gotten more attention and they'll probably never be beaten.

Comment

could some one give like a top ten, thanks

Comment

Thanks for the breakdown man I did not know that fight was that big of a deal I know Joe Louis and Ali fights were huge. I think since technology was so poor then it made the fight magnitude seem a lot less than what it was.

Comment

Haye vs Harrison

Comment

I'll tell you what would be the biggest match in boxing history if it were to be made

Vitali (Dr.Ironfist) Klitschko vs Wladimir (Dr. Steelhammer) Klitschko
                    If we knew they were going all out. It'd be a 100 MILLION fight worldwide & break all attendance & payperview records if marketed correctly & The United States would be in on it.. market it as the 2 strongest fighters in the world..brother vs brother,, We live in a reality show based society...everyone would eat it up.esp when they are the 2 best bigs by far.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayweather41-0 View Post
                      Thanks for the breakdown man I did not know that fight was that big of a deal I know Joe Louis and Ali fights were huge. I think since technology was so poor then it made the fight magnitude seem a lot less than what it was.
                      Newspapers was what mattered in those days and this fight was frontpagenews for months. The world badly wanted a white HW champion and the search for the 'great white hope' had been ungoing ever since Johnson won the title.

Jeffries had retired unbeaten at a time when no challengers where left and the white fraternity considered him invincible. When he announced his comeback the hype went overboard with a badly hidden racial agenda. The fight was fought on July 4'th (1910) as well. Big deal.

Several threads are available in the history forum regarding this fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X