Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does the British boxing scene need more 'foreign' fighters like the U.S?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does the British boxing scene need more 'foreign' fighters like the U.S?

I just watched Friday Fight Nights which featured a Russian and a South Korean. Both guys were showcased and pulled off big wins. As a result these guys are beefing up the American domestic scene, they could go onto world-class themselves or at the very least they will prove very tough opponents for American's coming through.

In Britain I can think of two Mongolians and a Nigerian who have reached a good level on the British scene - against the odds actually. The Nigerian Aljosegun has probably been f.ucked over and waited too long for his world-title eliminator as no Brits wanted to fight him and has looked progressively worse recently.

The problem with British fighters on the way up is that they are either subjected to British journeyman opposition which is levels and levels below their American equivalent. Or worse still they fight commonwealth opposition shipped over from Africa who are even worse.

Let me tell you. Ghana may have given us some great boxers over the last few decades but it has given us some of the very, very worst to grace a British ring. 'This guy's from Ghana - like Azumah Nelson,' they'll say. He also won't know how to fight and will be unmercifully smashed by a young hungry Brit expecting the fight of his life and getting a complete patsy.

I think British boxers do better than they're entitled to.

I guess on the flip-side. If we had a fighter like Emmanuel Augustus his career would have been managed correctly he'd have had a big fan-base and he probably would have won a world strap that he probably deserved.

i think the british level fighters are better than the american level fighters

weve got a good little domestic scene over here

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialOne View Post

Apart from Heavyweight which is looking loaded, not really.

I doubt George Groves and James Degale will fight for at least another 3-years.

And let's be honest. Frankie Gavin could have won the British and Commonwealth titles in his first and second fights.

Comment

the domestic scene in Britain is pretty good but quality sparring & opposition is not found in Europe,it's found in the states...look at the heavyweight division for example...there are around 1100 heavyweights active in the world & about 40% are from the states.the commonwealth title fights are always between Brits.canadians should be more involved like they use to be...you add canadians to the scene & it gets that much better.I've always said the British domestic heavyweight scene is pretty good with price,fury,chisora,sexton,Williams,sprott,Harrison ,etc.if you add tye fields,pajkic,kielsa,silverstein,hinton,olubawali to the scene & you have a nice selection of domestic fighters battling over the commonwealth title

Comment

journeyman like peret & swaby are inferior compared to American journeyman like Robert Hawkins or zuri Lawrence.Imo the states is where a boxer will recieve the best training & sparring to best develope his craft

Comment

I think we are doing great at the moment, don't we have almost every European title now?

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialOne View Post

Are you being serious? Compare American am programs and Olympic teams to Britian, they aren't close. To answer the question, yes having foreign fighters is a plus because it presents different styles and the such. Most great American fighters really get battled tested and it really prepares them immensely for the very best in the world. Problem is America is the most diverse country in the world, the sport is still popular, and has very good resources. It would be hard for any country to compete with the US on those terms but Britain could benefit from having other fights come in.

Comment

Also, having domestic titles hurt us.

The best don't spar each other because they're both working towards title shots and will end up fighting.

Comment

Originally posted by Estar View Post
                  I think we are doing great at the moment, don't we have almost every European title now?
                  Yeah I think we do.

But I think that the same thing is just being replicated in Europe. Lack of top fighters battling it out domestically or what is happening in Eastern Europe when they'll just by-pass the Euro completely.

The gap between domestic and Euro is getting smaller which is testament to the improvements made but the gap from Euro to world is probably even bigger.

I agree with Joe Strong though, the Canadians need to start competing for the Commonwealth title because at the moment if Charlie Zelenoff came from Ghana he'd get a shot at it.

Comment

I think we should get rid of the commonwealth belt to be honest. It's ****.

Comment

Working...
                    X