No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Miguel Cotto, The WBC, and Much Ado About Nothing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by St. Johns Gent View Post
    i'm not a fan of either, as much as Cotto is a legend he's always been a paper champ at middleweight, he won that belt and kept it due to technicalities, these guys for a 154 lb belt would be more like it but that means they'd have to fight some real competition to get a title and face each other which, neither has fought real competition for almost 2 yrs
    that is precisely correct cotto has been cherry picking more than half his career building it up to this point, so yes he has done his part which sucks for the sport of boxing, sad

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
      He's not paying for the fight really doe. You can pay a guy to step aside & take a nap for 6 months or whatever period of time you're working with.

Cotto was in a position where he needed to agree to a fight with GGG by a certain time period. If he didn't agree to that he'd be stripped of the title. He agreed to pay GGG step aside money to not have to agree to fight him within a certain time frame. Cotto fighting Canelo or whoever doesn't matter. For a title or not doesn't matter. The stepping aside happened already.

If not for that $800k agreement Cotto vs Canelo for a title doesn't even get talked about. Cotto, Roc Nation &/or the WBC is clearly f#cking GGG over or imo attempting to as I fully expect GGG will get his step aside money & its just a matter of who's paying it even if he has to sue someone.
      This is how I see the situation, except that I don't think Roc and Cotto are trying to shaft Golovkin. It was the WBC demanding too much money to sanction the fight that pissed Cotto off, not GGG's step aside.

Comment

How did Cotto allegedly get away with not paying GGG's step aside fee when GGG stepped aside??? Supposedly thats $800k of this $1.1M Cotto owes. Seems like that is some non-standard **** & he'd be needing to pay GGG once GGG agrees. I know if I'm stepping aside I wanna get paid BEFORE I officially step aside. GGG should sue Cotto or the WBC for his $800k if he's legit owed that for stepping aside. That might be the real controversy here is GGG is getting f#cked over for almost a million dollars.
        Exactly. K2 should seriously look into taking legal action. Not sure what all can be done but it's worth at the very least looking into. It was a calculated move by team Cotto, to delay the mandatory with Golovkin by negotiating a step aside deal, use that belt as leverage against Canelo and then end up not paying anything to pocket more money & have no obligation to his mandatory should he win. It's shady as hell.

The other thing that annoys me about fans is that the lack of understanding of why sanctioning fees are necessary. We can argue the % they take and they can certainly be high depending on the fight, but there has to be some money that goes back into the sport. The WBC actually does things that the other sanctioning bodies don't; they put money into amateur programs, they put money into ex-fighters and champions with medical bills, they do charity stuff with kids & hospitals, etc. They are a corrupt, poorly run sanctioning body, but they are the best when it comes to the money they put back into the sport, which is the entire point. The one good thing about the UFC is that all the money they generate goes right back into the sport.

Comment

fans are not affected by this, just enjoy the damn fight! who gives a fck about what golovkin is getting paid. the WBC tried, at the last minute, to extort cotto and he said fck off. good for him! PPV is ordered im ready for a great night.

Comment

If this fight is good enough and close enough it might merit a rematch.

If triple G is the mandatory it gives no more options. Triple G is such a heavy favorite against both guys that is not even funny.

Lets face it, triple G only wants to face either guy not only because it is a very winnable fight is where he is going to get paid the most.

The funny thing is that ppl will defend triple G in getting his payday and when other do it they call it a duck. A fight against Cotto or Canelo is not a fight to decide who is the best MW in the world. It will a fight between two popular fighters

Comment

Miguel look like he got a juanma hairline transplant in that article pic haaaaa

Comment

Originally posted by moneymaywhat? View Post
                Are you guys kidding right ? Who in their right fuking mind would pay 800k to some fuking dude that hasn't done **** to earn it, the WBC striped Cotto because he had to pay both not just one, and I don't blame him for saying "fukoff". Tell GGG to fight one of them bums he be fighting to see if he even makes that much in the ring. GTFOH.

Cotto is just waiting for the paycheck on Saturday, then he'll pay off GGG and the WBC. IF he doesn't then he'll most likely retire.

Comment

Originally posted by El Presidente View Post
                  I love Cotto, but he's been making some decisions that has dinged his legacy for me. For example, all these stupid "catchweights". In my book, no World title belt should ever be on the line if the fight is a catchweight. If a Middleweight world title fight isn't fought at 160lbs, then NO TITLE should be on the line.

When Cotto beat Daniel Geale last June, in his post fight interview he said that he is not a 160 fighter....thus separating himself further away from an eventual GGG fight.

And now this nonsense. So by trashing the belt, should he win, he has no mandatory anymore with GGG and can go back to 154.

Cotto's resume speaks for itself. He's never ducked anyone...until now.
                  Those compromised fights did not remove existing wins from Cotto's legacy ?

Would you have been happier if he had retired following the Martinez fight ?

Cotto demeaned his own achievements, so those " middleweight " wins do not add as much value to Cotto's superb resume as they would have if the fights had been held at 160.

Instead of this being added to his already phenomenal career.....

He got this.....

Oh, and he got an extra 1.1mil

Fair point, but in context Cotto's resume did not take a step backwards.

Comment

I don't understand this logic. Maybe I'm crazy, but to me the step aside part happened months ago when GGG was in line for a fight with Cotto. Canelo vs Cotto for a title doesn't even get to the planning stages until GGG agrees to step aside for $800k. The fight for the belt this weekend was just happening because GGG agreed to not pursue his mandatory months ago.

Basically if this is how step asides work you could f#ck over guys all the time with step asides.
                    Good point.

What annoys me is the way that the WBC have BLATANTLY paved the way for Golovkin. That kid is getting the world handed to him on a silver platter.

Actually, he is getting Hopkins record handed to him on a silver platter.

They have laid out the red carpet and removed all obstacles.

Who knows why the corrupt greedy vultures in the WBC suddenly decided to recognise the WBA champion, against their own policy.

Well, I am pretty sure that I know why..... $$$$$$$$$$.

Their mistake, was leaning on Cotto before he paid them

Comment

The WBC can take their 1.1mil from the " donation " they got from K2.

Comment

Working...
                      X