No announcement yet.

Was Fernando Vargas that great?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tito yuca View Post
    Yeah, he was. He beat a young Winky Wright and an Ike Quartey who was just coming off what most believe was a victory over a prime Oscar de la Hoya. He was a talented boxer-puncher with an above-average chin and defense, two attributes that were tested in his fight against Trinidad, which many people say "ruined" him. Even after two first-round knockdowns, in the 4th he appeared to be on his way to KOing Tito, who resorted to two nasty low blows to get Vargas off him and recoup. I hate to use excuses, but if Tito had not done that, Vargas MIGHT have won. Even with that, Tito's face was busted up in the end, and he said it was his toughest fight. Beating Winky, Ike, and giving Tito his toughest fight, all before the age of 23, made him a great fighter once in my eyes.
    Most objective people know Vargas lost that fight to Wright. Vargas was the HBO house fighter. You also conveniently left out that Quartey was inactive for almost 2 years before he fought Delahoya. After that fight he was inactive for another year and 2 months. You know,details. To me, the definition of a great fighter is oner who either dominated his own division, consistently beat A level competition with no controversy, or moves up in weight and wins other titles. Vargas did neither. There is no justification in calling him a "great" fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWire View Post
      He was a good fighter with quick hands, good power, good boxing ability. Great he was not his downfall was he was moved too fast and fought a prime Trinidad.
      He had skills and was a good finisher. He was young and in there with the best at the time. The names mentioned Winky, Tito, Oscar and Mosely. You look at his records and see who he beat Ike Quartey (34-1-1), Ronald Wright(39-2) , Raul Marquez (30-1), Luis Ramon Campas (72-20.
      Oscar lost to Shane 2 times, lost to Tito and won a close decision over Ike in my book. He beat an old JC (36), Camacho (35) and Pernell (33). What the hell is macho Camacho still doing fighting anyway his last fight was 7/18/08 for a vacant IBf light middle weight title???

Comment

Fernando Vargas was a good fighter who had the potential to be great. My problem with him in big fights was that whenever he got hit he was very slow in again trying to position his defense which would lead him to take unnecessary damage against boxers with great knockout power. Man did Tito give him a beating but despite all the knockdowns he fought him very tough i was proud of him after that fight! after that fight he was never the same though...

Comment

Originally posted by RIZO OWNS View Post
          I'm being serious. I didnt watch much boxing back when he was in his prime.

Was he really that great?

I hear great things about him but I've only seen a couple of his fights in their entirety.
          He wasn't great but he was an entertaining boxer!

Comment

Working...
          X