Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Martinez can fight Pac at 150, but can't fight Kirkland at 154????

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
    I would put Martinez fighting Kirkland at a catchweight in the same boat I put Pac for fighting Bradley at 140. It's not their opponents most proven weight.

If I'm going to get on Pac for not fighting guys at their strongest weight, then you best believe I'm gonna do the same for Sergio and even Mayweather for that matter.
    But NOBODY is complaining about Bradley fighting Pacquiao at 147 because Bradley and Paquito are around the same size. They're like two jr welterweights fighting at welterweight. This makes it even better because this will guarantee none of them will be drained. Same goes with Kirkland and Martinez. They will be two jr middleweights fighting at middleweight. It doesn't matter if Martinez can make 154. It will always be easier to make 160 for every jr middleweight in the world than it is to make 154. Plus have you ever seen Kirkland? I guarantee Kirkland comes in heavier on fight night at 154 than Martinez has in his past 2 fights at middleweight. You're complaining about nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
      I'm not saying that he should have fought Kirkland instead of Barker.

I'm saying how can he be all about money fights when he just fought Darren Barker?
      He was fighting Barker and Macklin in order to get the Chavez/Mayweather opportunities. Really no other big money names he could have been fighting.

Thus, its a money move.

Fighting a Pirog/Golovkin fight would been about the same money at a slightly higher risk.

Now moving down to fight Pac at 150 would bring huge money. Same with Floyd.

Kirkland right now, is not a big ticket seller. Why fight James at 154? Your the MW champion and can make similar money if not more vs Andy Lee.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
        What????????????/
        Are you saying Martinez shouldn't fight Kirkland at 154 because Martinez is all about the money or because he can't make the weight anymore?

If it has anything to do with the title, I can now slightly see your point because of the marketing in a title fight. But how much of a financial difference would Sergio make for fighting Kirk at 160 (which Kirk hasn't done anything to deserve a title shot in the 1st place at 160, nor is this the weight he's made a name for himself at) for the title vs fighting Kirk at 154 for the title (Kirk's most proven weight)?

All I'm saying, is if they're going to fight and beat Kirkland, beat him at his strongest/ most proven weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Elotero View Post
          Why hate on that?

Martinez was the LMW champ for a long time, now he is the MW champ. That has to count for something right?

Kirkland has never even been an interim champ.

Martinez is offering a guy who has never even fought for a title a shot at his belt @ the weight he earned it at.

Whats wrong with that?

If losing another 4 pounds can get a sick payday, whats wrong with that? Obviously if Kirk cant give him that kind of payday, why would it make sense for the middleweight champ to move down to light middleweight? For the challenge?
          Not true, he made 1 defense of the interim belt, and never defended the regular belt after getting promoted.

But yeah, he shouldn't be expected to drop weight for Kirkland, and I'm not even sure James would prefer it at JMW. However it'd be good for Sergio to make it at 154 for 2 reasons:

1. It'd put pressure on Floyd to fight him, given that his next fight is at 154. Sergio would also look like less of a bully, and more of a natural opponent
          2. If he's serious about dropping down to 150, surely it's a good idea to do it gradually

Comment

martinezzzesty is just looking for a big pay day

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
              Not true, he made 1 defense of the interim belt, and never defended the regular belt after getting promoted.

But yeah, he shouldn't be expected to drop weight for Kirkland, and I'm not even sure James would prefer it at JMW. However it'd be good for Sergio to make it at 154 for 2 reasons:

1. It'd put pressure on Floyd to fight him, given that his next fight is at 154. Sergio would also look like less of a bully, and more of a natural opponent
              2. If he's serious about dropping down to 150, surely it's a good idea to do it gradually
              Make it a 155/156 catchweight so the lineal middleweight championship is still on the line. Martinez can come in at 154 or under regardless to prove he can make the lower weights.

Comment

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
                But NOBODY is complaining about Bradley fighting Pacquiao at 147 because Bradley and Paquito are around the same size. They're like two jr welterweights fighting at welterweight. This makes it even better because this will guarantee none of them will be drained. Same goes with Kirkland and Martinez. They will be two jr middleweights fighting at middleweight. It doesn't matter if Martinez can make 154. It will always be easier to make 160 for every jr middleweight in the world than it is to make 154. Plus have you ever seen Kirkland? I guarantee Kirkland comes in heavier on fight night at 154 than Martinez has in his past 2 fights at middleweight. You're complaining about nothing.
                I'm not trying to turn this into a Pac/Bradley thread, but if you like to discuss my feelings on that, I'll bump the thread I created on it. Is this something you'd like to discuss?

Regarding Kirkland fighting Sergio at MW, if Kirkland is up for it cool, I just don't want to get the feeling that Martinez is bringing him up in weight because Kirkland hasn't proven much at 160 and he's looking to win the fight before they get in the ring.
                Last edited by BoxingGenius27; 03-20-2012, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePhantom5 View Post
                  He was fighting Barker and Macklin in order to get the Chavez/Mayweather opportunities. Really no other big money names he could have been fighting.

Thus, its a money move.

Fighting a Pirog/Golovkin fight would been about the same money at a slightly higher risk.

Now moving down to fight Pac at 150 would bring huge money. Same with Floyd.

Kirkland right now, is not a big ticket seller. Why fight James at 154? Your the MW champion and can make similar money if not more vs Andy Lee.
                  Perhaps because it's a good fight?

As a fan I would rather see him fight Kirkland than Andy Lee.

Then again I'd rather him fight anyone than Andy Lee.

Comment

SoOo...... Let's disregard what Ann Wolfe said.......

Comment

Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
                      ok...a Kirkland-Martinez fight at 154 is something i would like to see

heck, its not ppv material but if they made it one, i would probably pay
                      I'd definitely pay to see it. Especially if Kirk is exciting this weekend as he was against Angulo.

Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
                      this fight could be a very frustrating fight for Kirkland...
                      I think Kirkland gets way to much flack for his loss to Ishida. He got caught 45 seconds into the fight.

But with Anne Wolfe, Kirkland just looks so much more stronger, focused and determined. It's definitely a frustrating fight for Kirk due to Martinez's movement. But depending on the size of the ring, that might not even be an issue. Also Martinez hasn't looked particularly spectacular against fighters that have pressured him (i.e Williams I, Barker and Macklin). In my opinion, if he fights Kirkland the way he fought Macklin/Barker, he's really in trouble. If kirk takes his shots, he's really in trouble.

All in all, at the end of the day, I just want to see a good fight, that's all. I think Kirkland brings fireworks. A fight with Sergio will bring just that.

Comment

Working...
                      X